Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Guest Bob Mahelp
10 hours ago, strichener said:

I'm not really seeing why this is all one way tbh.  Everyone knows that there are no winners when it comes to trade wars so it is in everyone's interest to reach agreement.

I'm not sure if it slipped your attention, but we DID reach agreement.  This is the exact deal that Johnson campaigned on, and won the 2019 GE on. Despite being told over and over again it was unworkable, he signed it off and waved the paper like it was a victory less than 2 years ago. 

If I knew the Greek for, 'too fucking bad if you don't like it now', I would post it. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

Just now, Bob Mahelp said:

I'm not sure if it slipped your attention, but we DID reach agreement.  This is the exact deal that Johnson campaigned on, and won the 2019 GE on. 

If I knew the Greek for, 'too fucking bad if you don't like it now', I would post it. 

In case you didn't notice that agreement allows for unilateral action if implementing the protocol "leads to serious economic, societal or environmental difficulties that are liable to persist".

That this is included in the Brexit Agreement shows that there are remedies available and as I see it the agreement isn't working how the UK envisaged it so time to start talking about the issues rather than invoking Article 16.  This is in marked contrast to the EU that threatened Article 16 over the vaccines and then had to backtrack.

17 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I'm not sure if it slipped your attention, but we DID reach agreement.  This is the exact deal that Johnson campaigned on, and won the 2019 GE on. Despite being told over and over again it was unworkable, he signed it off and waved the paper like it was a victory less than 2 years ago. 

According to google translate.

polý gamiméno an den sou arései tóra

In case you didn't notice that agreement allows for unilateral action if implementing the protocol "leads to serious economic, societal or environmental difficulties that are liable to persist".
That this is included in the Brexit Agreement shows that there are remedies available and as I see it the agreement isn't working how the UK envisaged it so time to start talking about the issues rather than invoking Article 16.  This is in marked contrast to the EU that threatened Article 16 over the vaccines and then had to backtrack.
Implementing what we agreed to isn't causing serious economic difficulties. Being completely unprepared to deal with it is. The EU would be well within their rights to sanction any unilateral action attempted by the UK.

53 minutes ago, strichener said:

Well if the trigger for unilateral action is that the UK doesn't want a border in the Irish Sea and nobody wants a border on Ireland, why did the UK push so hard not to be part of the CU or the SM? 

You've got Tories telling us there needs to be free movement of everything between the UK and NI. There also needs to be no border between NI and the Republic. At the same time, any talk of an independent Scotland immediately draws out reactionary statements about hard borders between Scotland and England. 

The need for a new agreement is simply a result of the UK making a complete and utter cùnt of this - even though they pushed for it and campaigned on it. You'd need to zip up the back not to see this coming. 

The EU are perfectly entitled to maintain their stance of protecting the CU and SM. The UK either wants control of its borders or it doesn't. Time to make up its mind. 

2 minutes ago, HTG said:

Well if the trigger for unilateral action is that the UK doesn't want a border in the Irish Sea and nobody wants a border on Ireland, why did the UK push so hard not to be part of the CU or the SM? 

You've got Tories telling us there needs to be free movement of everything between the UK and NI. There also needs to be no border between NI and the Republic. At the same time, any talk of an independent Scotland immediately draws out reactionary statements about hard borders between Scotland and England. 

The need for a new agreement is simply a result of the UK making a complete and utter cùnt of this - even though they pushed for it and campaigned on it. You'd need to zip up the back not to see this coming. 

The EU are perfectly entitled to maintain their stance of protecting the CU and SM. The UK either wants control of its borders or it doesn't. Time to make up its mind. 

Agree, they're still trying to bluff their way to have cake/eat cake. 

I'm still not sure why the Tories decided that having no land border in Ireland was important. 

I suspect it was because it was slightly undesirable and the spineless shape-shifting liars didn't want to make even one almost tough decision. 

15 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Agree, they're still trying to bluff their way to have cake/eat cake. 

I'm still not sure why the Tories decided that having no land border in Ireland was important. 

I suspect it was because it was slightly undesirable and the spineless shape-shifting liars didn't want to make even one almost tough decision. 

This sums it up pretty well, by a purged Tory.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2021/07/brexiteers-never-took-irish-border-seriously-and-it-shows

15 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Gauke seems (cautiously and tentatively) ok, for a Tory

Of course it was the peace process, so not just slightly undesirable like i said, but still ducking out of responsibility for a decision. Cowardly spivs, the lot of them. 

4 hours ago, Dolf said:

Invoking article 16 would have serious consequences for Britain ,totally doing away with the protocol would see you become international pariahs  so good luck with that

Yeah that isn't what invoking Article 16 does.  Nice strawman though.

10 hours ago, welshbairn said:

This paragraph is the nub.

The Northern Ireland “trilemma” was little understood at the time of the 2016 referendum but can be simply put. You can have customs and regulatory divergence between the UK and the EU. You can avoid a border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. And you can avoid a border in the Irish Sea between Northern Ireland and Great Britain. The UK government could choose two of those outcomes but it could not have all three. Divergence required a border somewhere.

It wasn’t rocket science then, it’s not rocket science now.  I don’t agree that it was “little understood” though, everyone who had spent any time thinking about it knew this was the case but Johnson has his pals lied through their teeth about it and their supporters went along with the charade.

10 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

This paragraph is the nub.

The Northern Ireland “trilemma” was little understood at the time of the 2016 referendum but can be simply put. You can have customs and regulatory divergence between the UK and the EU. You can avoid a border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. And you can avoid a border in the Irish Sea between Northern Ireland and Great Britain. The UK government could choose two of those outcomes but it could not have all three. Divergence required a border somewhere.

It wasn’t rocket science then, it’s not rocket science now.  I don’t agree that it was “little understood” though, everyone who had spent any time thinking about it knew this was the case but Johnson has his pals lied through their teeth about it and their supporters went along with the charade.

I read something about Theresa May being totally dumbstruck when she found out Ireland could be a bit of a problem, and tried to back track on her red lines. A recent Secretary of State for Northern Ireland didn't realise that people in NI generally vote along sectarian lines. Some of these Tories are genuinely thick.

In a September 2018 interview for House magazine, a weekly publication for the Houses of Parliament, Bradley admitted she had not understood Northern Irish politics before being appointed Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, saying: "I didn't understand things like when elections are fought, for example, in Northern Ireland – people who are nationalists don’t vote for unionist parties and vice versa," she said.

4 hours ago, Dolf said:

So invoking article 16 is consequence free?

Is it?  Has someone claimed that this is the case?  Or have you put 2 and 2 together to get 401793.5628.  There are many possibilities between no consequence and your statement that invoking Article 16 is "totally doing away with the protocol".

9 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

I’m very troubled that he thinks he’ll get another shot at voting for Brexit? Does he even know what Brexit was?

I hope his business goes under.

Which could very well happen and to thousands of others as well.

One thing we can be sure of all the same is that the govt will blame this unprecedented pandemic, rather than Brexit.