Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

On 28/04/2021 at 18:16, Pato said:

Great! What is that reason?

Exports are a tiny proportion of production so any effect would be small. 

Imports have also got more expensive so there is upwards pressure on prices too, and the net effect of the opposing forces is hard to determine. 

Part of problem is the fishing rights under examination did seem a bit lopsided towards EU imo, Brexit clearly hasnt been the solution for fixing that but is it the case the quotas were in EUs countries like France and Hollands favour unfairly.

Which if true ofcourse was done by westminister itself when they agreed it in the 70's but it does give the fisherman a legit case to be complaining about.

Im no expert im just going on my own reading of it so whats others opinions?

35 minutes ago, BigDoddyKane said:

Part of problem is the fishing rights under examination did seem a bit lopsided towards EU imo, Brexit clearly hasnt been the solution for fixing that but is it the case the quotas were in EUs countries like France and Hollands favour unfairly.

Which if true ofcourse was done by westminister itself when they agreed it in the 70's but it does give the fisherman a legit case to be complaining about.

Im no expert im just going on my own reading of it so whats others opinions?

The CFP was basically seen as a maritime equivalent of a land grab by the british fleet, with some justification. 

It didn't matter whose national waters the fish were in, they were EU property to be fished in proportion to historical catches. 

For white fish in particular this meant that the stocks in the UK territorial waters were shared with the Spanish (in particular) who'd exhausted their waters. That was deemed worthwhile for the economy as a whole to have access to the common market. I'm sure that judgement had nothing to do with the location of the fishing ports. 

A more insidious and in my view damaging impact was that we'd traditionally not fished sand eels but the Danes love using them to feed their battery pigs. So the huge stocks in the North Sea got fished out. Unfortunately they were a major component in the food web and fed cod, haddock and a load of seabirds. White fish stocks won't recover without them. 

So in my partially informed opinion, the UK fleet and communities have legitimate cause to feel like they've been ridden by the EU lube free for years. 

Why they thought that a Tory Government, with market access for financial services to protect, would ever give a shit about them is anyone's guess. 

Catching the fish/shellfish anywhere in "British" waters is one thing... being allowed to sell them to any country in the EU is another.  It doesn't matter how much more we can pull out of the water unless there is a market.  To help the dudes out we have been buying "variety packs" 😁 of fish (and cheese, for that matter) from Scottish suppliers by mail order and I'd encourage other to do the same. 

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

The CFP was basically seen as a maritime equivalent of a land grab by the british fleet, with some justification. 

It didn't matter whose national waters the fish were in, they were EU property to be fished in proportion to historical catches. 

For white fish in particular this meant that the stocks in the UK territorial waters were shared with the Spanish (in particular) who'd exhausted their waters. That was deemed worthwhile for the economy as a whole to have access to the common market. I'm sure that judgement had nothing to do with the location of the fishing ports. 

A more insidious and in my view damaging impact was that we'd traditionally not fished sand eels but the Danes love using them to feed their battery pigs. So the huge stocks in the North Sea got fished out. Unfortunately they were a major component in the food web and fed cod, haddock and a load of seabirds. White fish stocks won't recover without them. 

So in my partially informed opinion, the UK fleet and communities have legitimate cause to feel like they've been ridden by the EU lube free for years. 

Why they thought that a Tory Government, with market access for financial services to protect, would ever give a shit about them is anyone's guess. 

Indeed.

It is some political masterstroke to be the party that sold out the fishermen when originally signing up to the CFP, to then be the party that blames the CFP / EU for all its troubles that have happened since, to then go on and be the party that fucks them over with a shit Brexit deal.

And still a good percentage of these coastal communities will give it the -

bloody-eu.jpg

Tories are b*****ds, but you've got to stand back and admire the brass neck that allows them to convince simpletons they have their best interests at heart.

Edited by wirez

Are we at war with France yet?

Is this actually Brexit related? Were the Channel Islands ever part of the EU as I am sure I have been on ferries to Cherbourg that had signs saying Duty Free was only available on sailings to the Channel Isles.

18 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

UK to send two Royal Navy ships to Jersey after France threatens blockade of island port

https://news.sky.com/story/uk-to-send-two-royal-navy-boats-to-jersey-after-france-threatens-blockade-of-island-port-12297840

Apparently Brexit has sent us so far back in time that we're back to using gunboat diplomacy.

E0stol3XEAQrPYL?format=jpg&name=900x900