Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

15 minutes ago, strichener said:

Holy shite all that to show that whilst in the EU we couldn't have reinstated the death penalty.  If only you had not tried to be a smart arse about it you could have saved yourself the bother of looking like an arsehole.

The UK cannot reinstate the death penalty now, you fool. Even if we exclude the fact that the ECHR still applies, there is another obvious reason.

Keep digging though. 

EDITED TO ADD: During the time that the UK was in the EU between 1973 and 1998, it was open to the UK to reinstate the death penalty. Between 1998 & 2004, the death penalty could be used in times of war/national emergency. As I have continually stated, it was ratifying the ECHR that banned the use of the death penalty, not the EU.

Edited by lichtgilphead

20 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

The UK cannot reinstate the death penalty now, you fool. Even if we exclude the fact that the ECHR still applies, there is another obvious reason.

Keep digging though. 

EDITED TO ADD: During the time that the UK was in the EU between 1973 and 1998, it was open to the UK to reinstate the death penalty. Between 1998 & 2004, the death penalty could be used in times of war/national emergency. As I have continually stated, it was ratifying the ECHR that banned the use of the death penalty, not the EU.

It is an condition of membership of the EU.  You can call me a fool all you want but you are looking quite stupid here tbh.  It doesn't matter if the UK did or didn't have the death penalty prior to 2009.  Once the Lisbon Treaty was ratified then as long as the UK remained in the EU we could not reinstate the death penalty.  We can now if we choose to do so.

3 minutes ago, strichener said:

It is an condition of membership of the EU.  You can call me a fool all you want but you are looking quite stupid here tbh.  It doesn't matter if the UK did or didn't have the death penalty prior to 2009.  Once the Lisbon Treaty was ratified then as long as the UK remained in the EU we could not reinstate the death penalty.  We can now if we choose to do so.

You really haven't thought this through, have you.

Here's a big hint - at the moment, the full title of the country is the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

I’m astounded how many posters are assisting strichener as he tries to derail discussion on Brexit with a theoretical nonsense.

Anyway.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/feb/20/labour-mps-dismayed-at-orders-to-maintain-radio-silence-on-brexit

Not only does Starmer not want to criticise the Tories’ disastrous he wants all his MPs to keep schtum too.  The only opposition in Westminster will come from the SNP and they will get minimum media coverage.

8 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m astounded how many posters are assisting strichener as he tries to derail discussion on Brexit with a theoretical nonsense.

Anyway.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/feb/20/labour-mps-dismayed-at-orders-to-maintain-radio-silence-on-brexit

Not only does Starmer not want to criticise the Tories’ disastrous he wants all his MPs to keep schtum too.  The only opposition in Westminster will come from the SNP and they will get minimum media coverage.

Even if the SNP got more coverage nobody is listening.

Down in England Brexit has been linked to patriotism and it is seen as anti-British to complain about it at all.  If it is something to be endured then so be it.   I find that attitude bizarre.

Brexit was not meant to be the equivalent of the blitz.  It was meant to be the equivalent of V.E. Day.

57 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Even if the SNP got more coverage nobody is listening.

Down in England Brexit has been linked to patriotism and it is seen as anti-British to complain about it at all.  If it is something to be endured then so be it.   I find that attitude bizarre.

Brexit was not meant to be the equivalent of the blitz.  It was meant to be the equivalent of V.E. Day.

Not sure that I agree, but even if you are partially correct there is an argument to be made that could be effective in defeating the Tories.

The argument is not ‘Brexit is bad’ (though it is), the argument is ‘the Tories’ Brexit deal is horrendous’. 

Attack the deal, expose Johnson’s rhetoric for the obvious lies but make sure to blame the Tories and not just Johnson.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-brexit-deal-poll-labour-b1803564.html?utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=Feed

I still think that the biggest threat to Johnson comes from the 'swivel eyed loon' backbenchers within the Tory party. 

As soon as they've lost their current hard-on for gurning about Covid restrictions and demanding 'roadmaps' for an uncertain situation months in advance, they'll be straight back on the 'this isn't the Brexit the UK public voted for' 'Brexit means Brexit' bandwagon regarding the situation in NI, and despite the much more sane case for doing everything he can to resolve this farce by softening Brexit if at all possible, I will not be surprised if he caves in to the bampots and goes full scorched earth.

It'll be worth it in some respects, to see the faces on the DUP for one as he shoves the broken bottle even further up their arseholes, but because it'll invariably hasten the reunification of Ireland, Scottish Independence, and the reduction of the 'United' Kingdom to a one-nation, right-wing kleptocracy with a hapless wee principality being dragged along for the ride.

I'm at the point now where I am no longer remotely surprised by this Tory governments unfailing ability to f**k the unfuckable right up. If there's a way that Johnson can make this farcical situation even 'worse', he'll find it.

Experienced the sharp end of Brexit for the first time. Found a coat i wanted on sale on an Italian site. Ordered it and completely forgot about VAT and import duty which caused the price to increase by £91.

Still a good buy though and I was impressed that, even with Brexit, the coat was in perugia at 4pm one day and in my hand 6pm the next, having taken in Leipzig, East Midlands and Edinburgh along the way.

Experienced the sharp end of Brexit for the first time. Found a coat i wanted on sale on an Italian site. Ordered it and completely forgot about VAT and import duty which caused the price to increase by £91.

Still a good buy though and I was impressed that, even with Brexit, the coat was in perugia at 4pm one day and in my hand 6pm the next, having taken in Leipzig, East Midlands and Edinburgh along the way.
Not enough about capital punishment and Brexit in this post.

5 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
12 hours ago, Aladdin said:

Not enough about capital punishment and Brexit in this post.

Good point.  What do you make of someone who buys a coat from Italy instead of one that is made here? 

Hanging too good for them, eh?

Does that help?

3 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Good point.  What do you make of someone who buys a coat from Italy instead of one that is made here? 

Does that help?

I would accept a public flogging, with the number of lashes commensurate to the discount received.

Its absolutely DISGUTSTIN that well heeled young professionals like myself are forced to purchase outerwear from the continent.  I would have expected all textile mills across Britain to have reopened by now and a full range of clothing available in both tweed and jute sack cloth.

7 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Does that help?

That means there's a new coat going spare. What size is it?

On 20/02/2021 at 23:26, Granny Danger said:

Anyway.

Theoretically you voted for it even though you claim you didn't want it.  That is what you call a nonsense.

A lot of Brexit voters will be now seeing the error of their ways. What with the EU’s really successful vaccination roll out, and Macron being spot on about the Oxford vaccine being knickers, it’s really exposed us as being out on a limb.

Keep a light on for us please.

12 minutes ago, Glen Sannox said:

A lot of Brexit voters will be now seeing the error of their ways. What with the EU’s really successful vaccination roll out, and Macron being spot on about the Oxford vaccine being knickers, it’s really exposed us as being out on a limb.

Keep a light on for us please.

The EU is such a caring organisation and really looks after its weaker members!

Greece, Italy and Portugal have been wonderfully supported.

Please, please can we rejoin.

This is Willie Rennie levels of point and laugh cheap shots.

Does anyone really think that the european wide vaccine application will not crank up over the next days and weeks?

As for leaders, given a voice of Macron and Johnson, I'd have to think about that.*

*No, no I wouldn't.

I amongst many that value liberty, fraternity and equality would choose the leader of the great republic.

Edited by sophia
Typos

2 hours ago, sophia said:

This is Willie Rennie levels of point and laugh cheap shots.

Does anyone really think that the european side vaccine application will not franck up over the next days and weeks?

As for leaders, given a voice of Macron and Johnson, I'd have to think about that.*

*No, no I wouldn't.

I amongst many that value liberty, fraternity and equality would choose the leader of the great republic.

Sure thing..

un-manifestant-portant-un-gilet-jaune-et-un-masque-pres-d-une-barricade-en-feu-a-paris-le-1er-decembre-2018_6134064.jpg