Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

39 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

The survey is from 2017!

Here's the full figures for both remain and leave voters

I think that the results speak for themselves.

I decided that this was a better upass of my limited excel skills than paid work, so have worked out the % for people who didn't vote either way (using unweighted numbers)

Hanging-35%

Passports- 13%

Lb oz- 19%

Hitting kids-22%

Hot lights- 17%

Tabs- 24%

Old money- 15%

I suspect the weighting has had an effect 

8 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Do you think it's worse for your health to be one of these nutters getting angry at not being able to waste money on lightbulbs that use 100x the energy of new ones, or getting angry at these nutters?

For me I've decided the best thing to do is just put them out of mind as they'll all be dead soon enough anyway.

Was this your lightbulb moment?

4 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

I have spent a lot of time in the US and they are probably more imperial than us.

The US uses US Customary measure, not imperial.

Capacity measures are completely different (larger fluid ounce, smaller pint, smaller gallon)

Higher capacity weights are different (they don't use stones, and their hundredweight & ton are smaller)

Distances tend to be expressed in feet rather than yards, and they use a completely different foot for land measure.

Neither imperial or USC can be considered to be a coherent measurement system.

7 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Out of interest did being in the EU stop us changing any of these things?

Michael Barnier used to go into pubs in Dundee and punch anyone he saw smoking.  I’m not making that up.

8 minutes ago, strichener said:

The Death Penalty cannot be on the statute books of EU countries, it is part of the Lisbon Treaty.

Whilst that is technically correct, it is predated by the European Convention on Human Rights 6th & 13th protocols, which came into force in the UK in May 1998 & February 2004 respectively. These protocols forbid the use of the death penalty in all circumstances. As far as I am aware, these provisions still bind the UK.

The Lisbon Treaty only came into force in late 2009. Banning something that is already banned isn't really the gamechanger that stritchener thinks it is.

37 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

Whilst that is technically correct, it is predated by the European Convention on Human Rights 6th & 13th protocols, which came into force in the UK in May 1998 & February 2004 respectively. These protocols forbid the use of the death penalty in all circumstances. As far as I am aware, these provisions still bind the UK.

The Lisbon Treaty only came into force in late 2009. Banning something that is already banned isn't really the gamechanger that stritchener thinks it is.

The original question was "did being in the EU stop us changing any of these things?". in the context of the question then the Lisbon Treaty would prevent us from changing this even if we withdrew from the ECHR.

1 minute ago, strichener said:

The original question was "did being in the EU stop us changing any of these things?". in the context of the question then the Lisbon Treaty would prevent us from changing this even if we withdrew from the ECHR.

...and if your auntie had balls, she'd be your uncle.

The EHCR prevented use of the death penalty in the UK before the Lisbon Treaty came into effect, and continues to prevent use of the death penalty today.

34 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

...and if your auntie had balls, she'd be your uncle.

The EHCR prevented use of the death penalty in the UK before the Lisbon Treaty came into effect, and continues to prevent use of the death penalty today.

Membership of the EU prevented the UK from reintroducing the death penalty is an immutable fact.  You can refer to the ECHR all you wish but the UK could have withdrawn from the convention and still would not have been able to reintroduce the death penalty whilst a member of the EU.  We now could if we wanted to.

27 minutes ago, strichener said:

Membership of the EU prevented the UK from reintroducing the death penalty is an immutable fact.  You can refer to the ECHR all you wish but the UK could have withdrawn from the convention and still would not have been able to reintroduce the death penalty whilst a member of the EU.  We now could if we wanted to.

Votes in the UK parliament also prevented the UK from reintroducing the death penalty. 

The first such vote was held in 1966. After the UK joined the EU, further votes were held in 1973, 1974, 1975, 1979, 1982, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1990 & 1994.

But yeah, it's only the evil EU that's stopping us from killing innocent victims of miscarriages of justice. 

Please don't include me in whatever your idea of 'we' is.

12 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Belarus is the only European country to actively retain the death penalty. Even Putin's Russia is nominatively abolitionist.

It might be Priti's wet dream to bring it back but it's not going to happen. And nor should it.

What makes you think so? It's a very popular chapter in the Big Book of Whizzo Beezer Tory Ideas.

I can definitely see capital punishment being brought back for murder and paedophilia in my lifetime. For the proles, at least.

25 minutes ago, BFTD said:

What makes you think so? It's a very popular chapter in the Big Book of Whizzo Beezer Tory Ideas.

I can definitely see capital punishment being brought back for murder and paedophilia in my lifetime. For the proles, at least.

It's not going to happen because a) this lot of idiots aren't going to be in power forever and b) the UK would be keeping company with the likes of Luka's Belarus, Saudi Arabia, Iran, North Korea, China and the United States which is not a good look internationally. 

4 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

It's not going to happen because a) this lot of idiots aren't going to be in power forever and b) the UK would be keeping company with the likes of Luka's Belarus, Saudi Arabia, Iran, North Korea, China and the United States which is not a good look internationally. 

How long do you think they've got? I'm thinking another two terms, at least. The only way Sir Keef's getting a sniff of Downing St is if it turns out the Conservative Party is a massive paedophile ring. And even then, probably still borderline.

Bless you for still thinking the UK gives a shit about how it looks internationally, Also, watch your tongue - some of our best mates are on that list.

In other news, I see Farage is punting get rich quick schemes on YouTube with an anti-establishment edge.

Anyone bothered sitting through one of the videos? I thought about it purely to find out what he's up to, but the man's so singularly unappealing that I just couldn't manage it.