Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

8 hours ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

Oh. I understand fully the huge impact on an already shredded economy. The only compensation for the likes of us workers is that the rich robbing b*****ds lose millions. 

Why do you reckon the rich robbing b*****ds will lose millions?

It won't be them paying if this results in a loss of revenue to the UK treasury. I think we all know who will end up paying. Same as always.

5 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Why do you reckon the rich robbing b*****ds will lose millions?

It won't be them paying if this results in a loss of revenue to the UK treasury. I think we all know who will end up paying. Same as always.

There's a simple solution which has already been proposed by ex-Tory leader Iain Duncan-Smith - raise the State pension age to 75. ^_^

6 hours ago, btb said:

There's a simple solution which has already been proposed by ex-Tory leader Iain Duncan-Smith - raise the State pension age to 75. ^_^

Might as well. Surely nobody younger than 50 is expecting to actually get a sniff of the state pension at this point.

Knowing IDS, he's probably been tossing around a Logan's Run style cull of elderly folk who never paid superannuation.

14 hours ago, btb said:

Looking at the age demographic of Tory voters that ain’t going to happen.  They’ve not even banished the ‘triple lock’ yet which certainly should be going.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Looking at the age demographic of Tory voters that ain’t going to happen.  They’ve not even banished the ‘triple lock’ yet which certainly should be going.

Why’s that?

presumably because those who benefit most are today’s young people, and it’s the job of today’s senior citizens to f**k them over?

30 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Why’s that?

presumably because those who benefit most are today’s young people, and it’s the job of today’s senior citizens to f**k them over?

You seem a bit too keen to misinterpret.  The triple lock is only helping today’s pensioners.

We need a state pension system that is fit for purpose and that will benefit future generations.  Let’s just hope today’s 20-50 year olds are not voting Tory by the time they reach pension age.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

You seem a bit too keen to misinterpret.  The triple lock is only helping today’s pensioners.

We need a state pension system that is fit for purpose and that will benefit future generations.  Let’s just hope today’s 20-50 year olds are not voting Tory by the time they reach pension age.

Well, yes it is only helping today's pensioners but by less than it will help future pensioners because of the compounding effects of above inflation rises. 

I completely agree with your second paragraph. But so long as we have a Tory media going hysterical about any extra cash going to poor people, or god forbid being taken from people who need it less, the triple lock is the best way to ensure that the pension approaches what it needs to be. 

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

Well, yes it is only helping today's pensioners but by less than it will help future pensioners because of the compounding effects of above inflation rises. 

I completely agree with your second paragraph. But so long as we have a Tory media going hysterical about any extra cash going to poor people, or god forbid being taken from people who need it less, the triple lock is the best way to ensure that the pension approaches what it needs to be. 

Not sure I agree about the triple lock being the best approach, I think the reforms need to be more fundamental.

The pandemic has many strange side effects, it has certainly taken the spotlight off the monumental fùck up that is the Brexit deal.  However it has also exposed the myth that we needed 10 years of austerity.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Not sure I agree about the triple lock being the best approach, I think the reforms need to be more fundamental.

The pandemic has many strange side effects, it has certainly taken the spotlight off the monumental fùck up that is the Brexit deal.  However it has also exposed the myth that we needed 10 years of austerity.

I don't think it's the best way to provide for pensioners but i think it's the best currently feasible way. 

I think your second paragraph is suggesting that reform might be more feasible now that the Austerity myth has been accepted as fiction. I'm not so sure that a few dry, factual articles in the more sober media will displace the front pages and easy to understand credit card metaphors in the minds of the population at large for some time.  Although spending on pensions does seem more palatable, so maybe we can be more optimistic. 

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Has it? Surely it's just going to be used as an excuse to wallop everyone with another decade of cuts, selloffs, and restructuring of the welfare state.

A common theme in discussions of post-pandemic Britain is that "all of this is going to have to be paid for at some point", which always makes me smile, as it does conjure up the image that the plebs have been spending the past year living the high life instead of hunkered down in the house waiting to die.

Not sure spending money is the way to deal with the Brexit deal disaster, but if it is £20m ain’t going to cut it.  If it weren’t so serious it would be hilarious.

Firms will be able to apply for up to £2,000 to help pay for new paperwork and deal with other red tape problems.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-news-live-boris-johnson-eu-latest-b1801317.html%3famp

9 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Has it? Surely it's just going to be used as an excuse to wallop everyone with another decade of cuts, selloffs, and restructuring of the welfare state.

A common theme in discussions of post-pandemic Britain is that "all of this is going to have to be paid for at some point", which always makes me smile, as it does conjure up the image that the plebs have been spending the past year living the high life instead of hunkered down in the house waiting to die.

Yes it has.  If the wider public are to stupid to realise it then that’s a different matter.  The argument that we needed austerity was that it was just impossible to find additional spending; the pandemic has shown that’s not the case.

Additional public spending to revive the economy pre-pandemic times would have been a stimulus that would have resulted in more economic activity and additional revenue.  Pandemic spending has been greater by a huge factor and, whilst obviously essential, has had none of the knock on benefits that spending on, say, infrastructure would have had.

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Yes it has.  If the wider public are to stupid to realise it then that’s a different matter.  The argument that we needed austerity was that it was just impossible to find additional spending; the pandemic has shown that’s not the case.

Additional public spending to revive the economy pre-pandemic times would have been a stimulus that would have resulted in more economic activity and additional revenue.  Pandemic spending has been greater by a huge factor and, whilst obviously essential, has had none of the knock on benefits that spending on, say, infrastructure would have had.

I'm gradually coming to the conclusion that it's not so much stupidity as spite. It seems to suit some people to believe that the normal trappings of western democracy are decadent luxuries.

And I dunno about the last bit. The important people seem to have benefited quite nicely out of this whole affair. Trebles all round!

3 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I'm gradually coming to the conclusion that it's not so much stupidity as spite. It seems to suit some people to believe that the normal trappings of western democracy are decadent luxuries.

And I dunno about the last bit. The important people seem to have benefited quite nicely out of this whole affair. Trebles all round!

A thorough examination will show just how corrupt spending has been on the pandemic response.  By the time it happens the beneficiaries will long be gone.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

The public probably need a party to articulate that that's the case since most people don't spend their time thinking about macro economics.