Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

They weren't that enthusiastic tbh.  They now see it as not only a bullet dodged but as an opportunity to take market share from competitors.

They were certainly less than enthusiastic, but they have now found an accommodation which is preferable to a relocation upheaval. Not every company or industry will be able to do likewise though, and I can see an organic process whereby as reality intrudes, corporate UK will prefer a return to the single market than placing any more faith in bullshit about 'sovereignty, taking back control, etc.,'

2 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
21 minutes ago, strichener said:
They weren't that enthusiastic tbh.  They now see it as not only a bullet dodged but as an opportunity to take market share from competitors.

They were certainly less than enthusiastic, but they have now found an accommodation which is preferable to a relocation upheaval. Not every company or industry will be able to do likewise though, and I can see an organic process whereby as reality intrudes, corporate UK will prefer a return to the single market than placing any more faith in bullshit about 'sovereignty, taking back control, etc.,'

Can't see this happening in my lifetime.  Businesses will adapt, the world will turn and most people will go about their lives without ever worrying about politics.  

3 hours ago, bendan said:

Most of the 'extra import/export and VAT charges that small companies are facing' are the result of cluelessness. If you import a Chinese coat from Germany, you pay import duties as if it came from China - not hard to understand. If the seller doesn't pay the UK VAT, you'll have to. Again, not hard to understand. 

On the import duties in that ecample that can be an extra tarrif. It all depends if it clears customs going into the EU. 

German intermediary on internet buys coat for uk customer from china, ships via Germany but passes through in transit and clears uk customs = uk tarrif on chinese coat. 

German importer buys loads of coats from china and clears german customs. Sends one from warehouse to uk= German + British tarrif. 

In the second example the uk tarrif is new. I can think of at least five businesses i've worked with recently whose supply chain into western Europe had a single point of customs clearance. I'd assume that most of them sorted this in advance (it's mostly paperwork, stuff can go on the same boats). But at least one was a badly run mess with high staff turnover and i can imagine them having to pay  twice. 

14 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

vgq3v7c1rvc61.png

Oh aye, nothing to see here.

Most people aren't avid readers of the Daily Mail, and even then I suspect quite a few of those who do realise it's largely hysterical clickbait.

2 minutes ago, bendan said:

Most people aren't avid readers of the Daily Mail, and even then I suspect quite a few of those who do realise it's largely hysterical clickbait.

Lots of people buy things from the EU and vice versa, though. You can stop trying to appear adequately intelligent now, it isn't working.

Edited by Baxter Parp

45 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

Lots of people buy things from the EU and vice versa, though. You can stop trying to appear adequately intelligent now, it isn't working.

I've just had to buy a computer component from Australia shipped to our Australian office as the company isn't allowed to ship outside the country.  I will have to pay duty on this when it enters the country.  I blame Brexit.

1 minute ago, strichener said:

I've just had to buy a computer component from Australia shipped to our Australian office as the company isn't allowed to ship outside the country.  I will have to pay duty on this when it enters the country.  I blame Brexit.

Because you're the kind of clod that can't think of an appropriate zinger, I know.

1 hour ago, Baxter Parp said:

Yes, and I suspect that, typically, products are not being burned, nor have they risen in price by a third.

And what is your evidence? The fact that you haven't a fucking clue and care less?

My evidence that products aren't *typically* being burned? Even the Daily Mail clickbait you linked to didn't suggest that. And I'm supposed to find evidence for you to show prices haven't risen by a third? There's piles of stuff from the EU at your local supermarket.

1 minute ago, bendan said:

My evidence that products aren't *typically* being burned? Even the Daily Mail clickbait you linked to didn't suggest that. And I'm supposed to find evidence for you to show prices haven't risen by a third? There's piles of stuff from the EU at your local supermarket.

The headline doesn't say "typically" anything and the supermarkets have been overstocking since November.  It's the ignorance and stupidity of people just like you that allows policies of such terrible self-harm to occur.

9 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

The headline doesn't say "typically" anything and the supermarkets have been overstocking since November.  It's the ignorance and stupidity of people just like you that allows policies of such terrible self-harm to occur.

I would disagree. I think it's people posting hysterical, misleading pish that results in shite ideas like Brexit. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-55641544

I think you're a moron that can't take on information that contradicts your worldview.

I don't disagree that food supplies in Northern Ireland face issues from April. You often post links that don't seem related to your previous points.

I didn't want Brexit to happen, but that doesn't compel me to believe every piece of pish you post. 

Edited by bendan

Just now, bendan said:

I don't disagree that food supplies in Northern Ireland faces issues from April. You often post links that don't seem related to your previous points.

I didn't want Brexit to happen, but that doesn't compel me to believe every piece of pish you post. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/21/britons-buying-from-eu-websites-face-more-than-100-import-duties

Britons buying from EU websites hit with £100 customs bills

https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=05d30e59-c3c8-434b-bf09-4c21335a81d3

What Brexit means for the trade in goods

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/brexit-uk-manufacturers-import-export-orders-b1790270.html

Anger builds among manufacturers as EU customers cancel orders due to Brexit red tape

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-55719498

Brexit: Lamb exporter to EU 'making virtually nothing'

https://www.ft.com/content/049bf6b6-012a-4798-9e58-7c2456047d1b

UK retailers stumped by post-Brexit trade deal with EU

https://www.ft.com/content/2747ddf8-7f6c-4b34-9e40-36d6c4178203

UK wine drinkers face price rises as Brexit hangover kicks in

https://www.hortweek.com/new-plant-import-pre-export-certificate-brexit-crisis-unfolds-updated/ornamentals/article/1705181

New plant import pre-export certificate Brexit crisis unfolds

And so on and on and fucking on.  I don't know why I bother with your colossal fucking stupidity.