Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

2 minutes ago, Left Back said:

No doubt about it.  Exporting into the EU with tariffs would have killed their sales.

And all the to and fro of parts etc getting charged in both directions. I wonder if they'll get a waiver on all the extra import/export and VAT charges that small companies are facing?

24 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If there had been no deal on tariffs they would likely have pulled out. 

Yep. And if Sunderland was struck off the face off the Earth by an asteroid, they'd have pulled out as well. 

Calling this "as a result of Brexit" is dressing up a draw as a win. 

There’s something about the Nissan announcement that doesn’t ring true.  It’s like they’re claiming that they can now do something they couldn’t have done without Brexit.  I don’t see it.

If there’s any side deals courtesy of the U.K. government surely they will need to be made clear.

On 12/01/2021 at 22:51, Billy Jean King said:
On 12/01/2021 at 22:10, MixuFruit said:
Venison and fish prices are dropping like a stone and yet last time I went to the supermarket there was virtually no venison other than sausages that are half pork anyway and half the seafood was farmed in Vietnam. There's an opportunity to be had here.

Wholesale prices that is. Absolutely no sign of cheaper fish at our local fishmonger yet.

Asked our fish man today about it, said he's paying the same, it's the processors who are getting all the benefit. Lying c**t probably.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

There’s something about the Nissan announcement that doesn’t ring true.  It’s like they’re claiming that they can now do something they couldn’t have done without Brexit.  I don’t see it.

If there’s any side deals courtesy of the U.K. government surely they will need to be made clear.

This.  My first thought was that something behind the scenes has happened as a prelude to this 'ice cream and jelly' annoiuncement.

2 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

I'm not sure the batteries being moved are "a result of Brexit", as in, it sounds like something they'd have done whether the UK was in or out.

It quite clearly is a result of brexit.  The only way Nissan can export the cars to the EU tarrif free is to ensure that sufficient parts come from the EU or UK.  Nissan currently makes the lower capacity batteries in the UK and will add their higher capacity to ensure that they meet the 55% rule.  It was over-all a very encouraging and positive statement from Nissan.

https://www.ft.com/content/d2489ca9-0327-4a85-88c8-d6e7ca4eca55

Edited by strichener

4 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

This.  My first thought was that something behind the scenes has happened as a prelude to this 'ice cream and jelly' annoiuncement.

Well quite, it couldn't be down to the reasons that the company stated as that isn't in line with P & B groupthink.

1 hour ago, doulikefish said:

Only cost the government 61mill  of taxpayers cash

Better value than half a dozen faulty masks and a non-existant ferry. 😉

15 minutes ago, strichener said:

It quite clearly is a result of brexit.  The only way Nissan can export the cars to the EU tarrif free is to ensure that sufficient parts come from the EU or UK.  Nissan currently makes the lower capacity batteries in the UK and will add their higher capacity to ensure that they meet the 55% rule.  It was over-all a very encouraging and positive statement from Nissan.

I'm not even sure if you're being serious here. If Brexit had not happened, the UK would be in the EU and so Sunderland would still have satisfied the rule about parts from the EU or UK.

Nothing about Brexit made this more favourable for Nissan, it's just that the specifics of the trade deal meant that Brexit didn't make it more unfavourable.

Edited by Gordon EF

Being able to do something they could do before is clearly not 'a result of Brexit'.

1 hour ago, Gordon EF said:

I'm not even sure if you're being serious here. If Brexit had not happened, the UK would be in the EU and so Sunderland would still have satisfied the rule about parts from the EU or UK.

Nothing about Brexit made this more favourable for Nissan, it's just that the specifics of the trade deal meant that Brexit didn't make it more unfavourable.

I'm not sure if you are playing dumb on purpose.  Prior to Brexit there was no reason for Nissan to make their batteries in the UK as they were not subject to the need for their cars to be at least 55% sourced from the EU.  Now that they do need to meet this requirement they are moving manufacture to the UK.

This is a good thing and there is no indication from Nissan that this is anything other than to meet a new requirement brought about by Brexit.

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

And all the to and fro of parts etc getting charged in both directions. I wonder if they'll get a waiver on all the extra import/export and VAT charges that small companies are facing?

Most of the 'extra import/export and VAT charges that small companies are facing' are the result of cluelessness. If you import a Chinese coat from Germany, you pay import duties as if it came from China - not hard to understand. If the seller doesn't pay the UK VAT, you'll have to. Again, not hard to understand. 

Here's an article that reinforces a point widely disputed on here:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/annual-7-5bn-cost-of-eu-trade-as-bad-for-business-as-no-deal-brexit-jd7llrtb6

This deal is not much different from no deal.

4 hours ago, strichener said:

I'm not sure if you are playing dumb on purpose.  Prior to Brexit there was no reason for Nissan to make their batteries in the UK as they were not subject to the need for their cars to be at least 55% sourced from the EU.  Now that they do need to meet this requirement they are moving manufacture to the UK.

This is a good thing and there is no indication from Nissan that this is anything other than to meet a new requirement brought about by Brexit.

Ah, get it now. Fair enough. There is no existing EU requirement for 55% of the value to be sourced from the EU but now that threshold has been imposed on British exports, that incentivises Nissan to move the battery manufacture to inside the EU/UK.

Jesus, that is some convoluted shit and poorly explained in the BBC article. Chalk one up for Brexit I guess.

Edited by Gordon EF

2 hours ago, strichener said:

Well quite, it couldn't be down to the reasons that the company stated as that isn't in line with P & B groupthink.

Better value than half a dozen faulty masks and a non-existant ferry. 😉

Me bad it is then.  But remind me, how enthusiastic were Nissan about Brexit because I'm struggling to find some evidence. 

2 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Me bad it is then.  But remind me, how enthusiastic were Nissan about Brexit because I'm struggling to find some evidence. 

They weren't that enthusiastic tbh.  They now see it as not only a bullet dodged but as an opportunity to take market share from competitors.