Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

20 hours ago, coprolite said:

All the literature about multinationals and their tax preferences suggests that they look for stability and predictability more than the headline rate. The headline rate still matters but 1% or 2% won't make much difference. 

This government already showed its capricious nature by cancelling a planned cut at the last minute. I should imagine that, even though it wasn't tax, the proposal to ignore an international agreement would have caused a lot of concern. 

There are lots of uk rules that international structures rely on (no tax on dividends or most share disposals + some lax rules on overseas income). These shambolic jokers can't be relied on to leave these alone or even give suitable notice of any change. 

I think this the very much underestimated impact of Brexit - it's just about the worst PR exercise for a country you could possibly have come up with, and its been going on for years now. Irrespective of any of the issues involved, we look like stupid, racist c***s to most of the world. And even now, our government hasn't started any effort to repair that damage. 

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

I don't do Twitter, but have started looking at the accounts of Brexit cheerleaders, thinking they might have something to say about the dreadful impact of their beloved project.

Instead:

Daniel Hannan - lofty allusions to Greek mythology and some USA politics.

Julia Hartley- Brewer - lockdown is shit, Boris wont let me do the stuff I enjoy. Grr, hate that guy. 

Tom Harris MP - about as appealing as cold porridge essays on The Union and why the Labour Party should listen to him. Lots of sci-fi and Partidgesque "stop getting Bond wrong" whinging.

Allison Pearson - look over there! Lockdown is terrible and life is simply horrid for people like me.

****s.

7 minutes ago, bendan said:

You wonder what on earth the UK is thinking of with petty squabbles like this. They should have started a charm offensive years ago and yet instead they're just digging a deeper and deeper hole.

Well, the government is thinking that it'll  play well with their "f**k the EU, bring back the Empire" voters, and any negative repercussions can be blamed on the people they're pissing off being unreasonable, as apparently their voters swallow that shit unquestioningly.

Don't forget, they aren't in the business of strengthening the UK, economically or politically. Their priorities are staying in power, and gaining more wealth and power for themselves and their colleagues. Isolating the UK from its neighbours is a major part of that.

7 hours ago, bendan said:

Unusual to hear a straight and clear answer to a question.

It’s actually not.  Typically initial questions to a minister at the dispatch box are given short shrift.  No-one actually cares about the initial questions which are tabled in advance.  It’s the non-tabled supplementary questions that are actually constructed to embarrass the government.

ETA I’d be curious to know what happened in the chamber in the next minute or two, i.e. what supplementary did she follow up with.

Edited by Left Back

I cannot be arsed working it out, but who's in the most groups? Greece?

I'd no idea that Georgia, Ukraine, Azerbaijan, and Moldova decided to form their own organisation and name it after a small American territory. Not sure they're going to fall for that ruse, guys.

6 minutes ago, strichener said:

Sorry to break the spirit of the thread but Nissan commits to the UK and as a result of Brexit are moving manufacture of their high capacity battery packs to the UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55757930

I'm not sure the batteries being moved are "a result of Brexit", as in, it sounds like something they'd have done whether the UK was in or out.

42 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I'm not sure the batteries being moved are "a result of Brexit", as in, it sounds like something they'd have done whether the UK was in or out.

There's been a frightening amount of arguments over these things on both sides. 

52 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

If there had been no deal on tariffs they would likely have pulled out.