Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

The last couple of pages have brought back all sorts of horrific childhood memories. No wonder people from foreign lands thought we were culinary barbarians. There'll be folk in their twenties reading this stuff about "salads", and Viennetta being the height of sophistication, and they'll think you're all joking.

Just wait 'til we go to war with Europe and the real rationing kicks in  :shutup

11 minutes ago, BFTD said:

The last couple of pages have brought back all sorts of horrific childhood memories. No wonder people from foreign lands thought we were culinary barbarians. There'll be folk in their twenties reading this stuff about "salads", and Viennetta being the height of sophistication, and they'll think you're all joking.

Just wait 'til we go to war with Europe and the real rationing kicks in  :shutup

Yeh!  Who am I kidding with Vianetta!  That's what the folks from Cults (posh part of Aberdeen ate).

I knew we'd had a good week when mum broke out the;

Angel Delight Butterscotch 59g for sale | eBay

Still one of my favourites.

I can also say that my mum had never tasted a lasagne till circa 1992 when I made her one (after I'd finished my degree). 

EEEEE!  Times were 'ard when wee wuz young, but wee wuz 'appy!  Weevils the size of dogs 'n other tales are available.

Yours, born in the black and white Hovis advert part of Culter.

aDONis

My late father viewed food as essential body fuel rather than as something to be enjoyed. However, I can still remember him almost going into raptures just the once in the late 1960's on tasting raspberry ripple ice cream for the first time.

I’m not that old ( 37) but I remember the excitement as a lad going to this trendy new burger place on  a trip to London that we had never seen the like of in Scotland

It was called “ Burger King” and was far superior to the “Wimpy” that we occasionally went to on Union street in Aberdeen, especially if it was someone’s birthday. 

I remember my first experience of ‘exotic’ food back in the 70s was a vesta curry. IMG_1610465113.673365.jpg

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

Breakfast on special occasions

grapefruit-and-cherry 2.jpg

12 minutes ago, bendan said:

I love these tweets. US and UK facing a future of having the piss taken out of them by the 'developing' world.

I genuinely believe what we're living through now represents the end of the UK as a first world country.

For probably what a thousand years the UK then England before it has been one of the richest and most powerful countries on earth,

In future that is not going to be the case. In terms of standard of living, education, healthcare, technology, manfucaturing our time as a world leader is over now and not coming back.

From now on the only way in which the UK or rUK as it may become will be a first world country will be its military. Nothing else.

Also probably witnessing the end of the US empire but that's an entire topic on its own.

2 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Breakfast on special occasions

grapefruit-and-cherry 2.jpg

Ooh, when on holiday or staying at a hotel!

Couldn't believe how nasty those things were when I finally tried one. More a punishment than a treat.

19 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
1 hour ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:
Neither, we will be a NATO member and offshore tax haven. NATO is evolving from its original purpose but our wagon is firmly hitched to it for the foreseeable.  

So first world then.

That's not what first world means mate.  Its just means rich.  

22 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
1 hour ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:
Neither, we will be a NATO member and offshore tax haven. NATO is evolving from its original purpose but our wagon is firmly hitched to it for the foreseeable.  

So first world then.

Since the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991, the definition has instead largely shifted to any country with little political risk and a well functioning democracy, rule of law, capitalist economy, economic stability, and high standard of living

That's what we're not going to be from now on.

6 hours ago, BFTD said:

Vienneta is pretty good. I found one in my freezer a while ago that I must have impulsed purchased while slightly refreshed then forgotten about and it hit the spot.

The UK and especially Scotland is horribly obese. The nation's diet needs to change. 

20 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Vienneta is pretty good. I found one in my freezer a while ago that I must have impulsed purchased while slightly refreshed then forgotten about and it hit the spot.

The UK and especially Scotland is horribly obese. The nation's diet needs to change. 

A competent government would have got in with that idea before any shortages.

"For the sake of the nation's health, we need a return to the days when people dreaded mealtimes!"

Edit: back in the '80s, did they not run Viennetta ads with the dessert being served on silver platters? Jesus f**k.

Edited by BFTD

8 hours ago, aDONisSheep said:

Yeh!  Who am I kidding with Vianetta!  That's what the folks from Cults (posh part of Aberdeen ate).

I knew we'd had a good week when mum broke out the;

Angel Delight Butterscotch 59g for sale | eBay

Still one of my favourites.

For us, that was reserved for holidays in the caravan.

6 hours ago, Dunfermline Don said:

I remember my first experience of ‘exotic’ food back in the 70s was a vesta curry. IMG_1610465113.673365.jpg

Ah yes, the curry served in a ring of rice. I remember seeing some documentary about people in India and thinking it odd they didn't know the correct way of serving their own national dish.

My old Dad spent the last 25 years of his life bemoaning the fact that there was nowhere selling "Proper British Food" anymore. He was still hoping to find somewhere that would give him his gammon* steak with a pineapple ring on top. It didn't get better than that.

* And yes, from the political opinions, to the Daily Mail delivered every day, right down to his complexion, the word "gammon" fit my Dad to a T.