Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

There's a reason why you don't find too many Scottish restaurants when you travel the world even though you'll find plenty of malt whisky.

Is it because it's simple to export a finished product whereas exporting knowledge and expertise is incredibly difficult?

My Godmother took great delight in recounting the tale of how she got her nine year old arse tanned for asking her mother 'what the f**k is that?' the first time her maw presented her with a banana in the mid 50's.

And yes, I remember well the days before anyone had heard of pasta, couscous, bell peppers, etc etc. Endless diet of grey/brown stodge, green stuff boiled to within an inch of its life, and deep fried/battered beige things everywhere. :blink:

3 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Is it because it's simple to export a finished product whereas exporting knowledge and expertise is incredibly difficult?

India, Bangladesh, China, Italy  and France didn't find it too hard. Could be partly because they have a much wider range of traditional dishes to offer, and many of their expats left with the express intention of getting in the business of selling their countries cuisine, however modified for local tastes and what they found they could get away with.

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

My Godmother took great delight in recounting the tale of how she got her nine year old arse tanned for asking her mother 'what the f**k is that?' the first time her maw presented her with a banana in the mid 50's.

And yes, I remember well the days before anyone had heard of pasta, couscous, bell peppers, etc etc. Endless diet of grey/brown stodge, green stuff boiled to within an inch of its life, and deep fried/battered beige things everywhere. :blink:

My granny used to make a really sophisticated modern thing called, wait till you hear this.....a "salad".

It had corned beef, half a boiled egg, wee bit of lettuce (with Heinz salad cream dolloped on top. And chips. Loads and loads of chips.

6 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:

My granny used to make a really sophisticated modern thing called, wait till you hear this.....a "salad".

It had corned beef, half a boiled egg, wee bit of lettuce (with Heinz salad cream dolloped on top. And chips. Loads and loads of chips.

For desert a sugar sandwich I presume?

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

Should have waited till she was quite a few years older.

13 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:

Wow!

That sounds brilliant. Could murder a plate of that right now - especially with the "wee bit of Lettuce" removed.

15 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:

When I was a kid a salad was diced pork luncheon meat, a sliced boiled egg, grated cheddar and a tomato.

My dad only ever ate stuff like steak pie, mince 'n' tatties and fish suppers. He would never entertain any Indian, Chinese or Italian cuisine. Would only drink Nescafe, would not touch any espresso based drinks, even though they're more traditional than any new fangled instant coffee.

2 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:

.. and if you ordered it in a fancy restaurant it would come with a "garnish".

Actually just a dried out piece of parsley that didn't smell or taste of anything.

2 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

When I was a kid a salad was diced pork luncheon meat, a sliced boiled egg, grated cheddar and a tomato.

My dad only ever ate stuff like steak pie, mince 'n' tatties and fish suppers. He would never entertain any Indian, Chinese or Italian cuisine. Would only drink Nescafe, would not touch any espresso based drinks, even though they're more traditional than any new fangled instant coffee.

Good shout. Think it came in a can with a delicious layer of jellied fat. Forgot about the grated cheese. A wee continental touch 😆

Reverse the whole thing.
This has gone too far. 
The Dutch have been over zealous for years with this shit. I can remember the ferry to Amsterdam for a Scotland game, they must have robbed hundreds of litres of vodka and whisky off Scottish fans, and who knows how much cocaine. Scandalous.

8 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Cornettos and Vienettas were the epitome of divine decadence when I were a lad.

I still think a Vianetta is the height of sophistication!

Other foreign muck (as my dad described it) included garlic bread, which I first tasted in my late teens in 1985 (i know this because I was on my way to a  Dire Straits concert, and the tour was called 'Live in 85'.

Yours, the Sultan of Swing

aDONis

Imagine being in your late teens these days before you've had the chance to taste garlic bread?

Edited by aDONisSheep

9 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:

Good shout. Think it came in a can with a delicious layer of jellied fat. Forgot about the grated cheese. A wee continental touch 😆

Potted hough was one of my father's wee indulgences. Used to stand looking in the window of the butchers at all these things I couldn't place as somehow being an animal product. Butchers had their own distinct smell back then as well.

Edited by Boo Khaki