Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

5 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

India is terrible for this. Lorries travelling between states often have multi-day waits at the border. It's no wonder China have left them for dead.

It's no wonder China have left them for dead, but even China has a lot of internal non-tariff barriers.

It's no wonder China have left them for dead, but even China has a lot of internal non-tariff barriers.
Actually, I've just fact-checked myself and found out I was telling porkies.

The inter-state tariffs have thankfully been replaced with a system which means many companies only need to file thousands of tax returns per year instead. The new tax system sounds a bit mental though, still water is rated at 18% VAT but sparking is 28%, restaurants are charged 12% but if they have air conditioning it's 18%.

According to the World Bank, only 40% of transit time for Indian lorries was spent driving, the rest was dealing with various bureaucracies. Madness.

7 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Actually, I've just fact-checked myself and found out I was telling porkies.

The inter-state tariffs have thankfully been replaced with a system which means many companies only need to file thousands of tax returns per year instead. The new tax system sounds a bit mental though, still water is rated at 18% VAT but sparking is 28%, restaurants are charged 12% but if they have air conditioning it's 18%.

According to the World Bank, only 40% of transit time for Indian lorries was spent driving, the rest was dealing with various bureaucracies. Madness.

In China, when you're driving you have to stop at the Beijing border to get a temporary permit for entry if you've not got a Beijing plate. Nowadays it's as much to stop traffic congestion as anything, but it was in place long before that was an issue.

3 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

^^^This

The right-wing press, the biggest cheerleaders of Brexit, virtually refuse to publish a negative story on it.

The Express this morning has NO stories at all on the problems that have arisen. They just ignore it. They have something like 4 anti-Nicola Sturgeon stories though....she seems to be the right-wing's hate figure of choice now Brexit is over with. 

Good news is it's losing readers at an astonishing rate.

9 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Not to defend brexiteers or whatever but I've had oranges in a bowl in my kitchen for quite a long time and eaten them and survived, they looked a lot less fresh than those ones.

Can't sell them if they're past their use by/sell by date.

12 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Not to defend brexiteers or whatever but I've had oranges in a bowl in my kitchen for quite a long time and eaten them and survived, they looked a lot less fresh than those ones.

What a waste, enough for about 5 years supply of marmalade even if they were left for another month.

47 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

Can't sell them if they're past their use by/sell by date.

Not completely true. "Use by" means that you cannot sell, "Sell by" and "Best Before" are only advisory.

In addition, oranges do not require to be marked with a "Use by" date.

The fact that Tesco didn't try to sell them off cheaply would suggest that they were not fit for consumption.

20 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

Not completely true. "Use by" means that you cannot sell, "Sell by" and "Best Before" are only advisory.

In addition, oranges do not require to be marked with a "Use by" date.

The fact that Tesco didn't try to sell them off cheaply would suggest that they were not fit for consumption.

They're in net bags with a label, which may/may not have a use by date on them. People won't buy stuff past it's use by date.  That's not a legal issue.

1 hour ago, Academically Deficient said:

Good news is it's losing readers at an astonishing rate.

I can believe that.  Our local Post Office is the centre of the universe around here; I was in circa 3pm yesterday and there were enough copies of The Express and Daily Mail remaining to start a very decent bonfire.  Almost certainly due of course to a reduction in the number of (older) reactionary types venturing forth due to Covid and the weather.  Heartening nonetheless, especially if not all access can their right-wing tripe digitally.

33 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I can believe that.  Our local Post Office is the centre of the universe around here; I was in circa 3pm yesterday and there were enough copies of The Express and Daily Mail remaining to start a very decent bonfire.  Almost certainly due of course to a reduction in the number of (older) reactionary types venturing forth due to Covid and the weather.  Heartening nonetheless, especially if not all access can their right-wing tripe digitally.

According to Private Eye, its lost 61% of its readers since it started its Brexit campaign 10 years ago. Demographics will do for these rags.

Guest Bob Mahelp
3 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:

According to Private Eye, its lost 61% of its readers since it started its Brexit campaign 10 years ago. Demographics will do for these rags.

Is it not the case that The Express is owned by the same group that owns The Mirror, the left wing tabloid of choice ?

I thought that when that happened a  couple of years ago the paper might change tack slightly and moderate their Brexit coverage, but the opposite seems to have happened and they've doubled down on their batshit mental, fruitloop crazy, extremist, right-wing lies. 

It's truly the c**t's c**t paper of choice. Worse than the Daily Mail. 

My father in law used to read it, before he slipped off into the aged bigots paradise the in the sky. 

43 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Is it not the case that The Express is owned by the same group that owns The Mirror, the left wing tabloid of choice ?

I thought that when that happened a  couple of years ago the paper might change tack slightly and moderate their Brexit coverage, but the opposite seems to have happened and they've doubled down on their batshit mental, fruitloop crazy, extremist, right-wing lies. 

It's truly the c**t's c**t paper of choice. Worse than the Daily Mail. 

My father in law used to read it, before he slipped off into the aged bigots paradise the in the sky. 

I think so. Is the new organisation called Reach or some nonsense like that?

9 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

Check this lying c**t.

That's as brazen as lies get. Thinking about that, Buchan doesn't give a shit about fishing, he's a millionaire already. He's a Tory plant, he knows they've fucked them over and doesn't care. When you start to comprehend the level of propaganda we are fed in Scotland its unique in the world, really off the charts.

2 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

I appreciate that but seems a bit of a shame to just chuck them away. 

2 hours ago, aDONisSheep said:

Welcome to food waste in the UK.

We a a scandalous country for eating with our eyes and not our taste buds.

When I worked at Iceland we would fill at least one big industrial bin at the end of every day (or at least every day I worked there) with perfectly fine food that had gone past by the 'use by' date.

Not only that but the bins had locks on them as some desperate local folk used to take the chucked out stuff. They started breaking the locks so the company built a wee concrete bunker type thing in the car park with a padlocked gate that we had to store the locked bins in so that the aforementioned desperate locals couldn't get to the food.

Apparently it was a legal thing to stop them getting sued should someone get ill from some chucked out produce, but I still have my doubts about that.

I was all for giving out the food to folk who needed it, even 'forgetting' to lock the bins on a regular basis. Nothing I could do about them being locked up in the wee bunker unfortunately.