Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

1 hour ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Well, I certainly didn't  drone on endlessly about this being part of the reason why the Tories were so keen on leaving the EU.

That should see a few million more leaving the Leopards Eating People's Faces Party in the coming years.

Stanley Johnson on telly this morning telling everyone how great Boris has done, and that his own application for French citizenship is purely a symbolic gesture in memory of his mother. It has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Brexit.

On 30/12/2020 at 15:42, Baxter Parp said:
On 30/12/2020 at 11:10, coprolite said:
The tax thing is a complete red herring. The UK already has all the rules it needs to comply with it. The UK and Germany were the driving force behind the BEPS project at the OECD, which is where the EU rules come from. The UK committed to BEPS and is still in the OECD. 
Otherwise, it would have been a logical motivation to leave. As it is, the only logical motivation is xenophobia. 

The UK may already have the rules in place to comply but it does not in any way have the will to comply. Under the EU failure through neglect could be punished by massive fines. Out of the EU the rules can be safely ignored.

Totally fucked the quotes and formatting here, but anyway. 

I am still convinced that the vast majority of the UK anti avoidance tax laws are not threatened at all by brexit. I am less convinced than i was, and won't be wholly surprised if i'm proved wrong. 

The UK law (regs i think) implementing DAC6 has been repealed. For those who don't know this was an EU reporting requirement that required advisers to report certain cross border transactions often associated with tax avoidance. It didn't impose or require any anti avoidance rules.   The UK will still require disclosure of actual avoidance transactions. 

Personally i don't think this affects the UK authorities ability to deal with avoidance at all and saves a lot of pointless paperwork.  But it does fit very neatly with you guys' narrative. 

On 30/12/2020 at 15:53, Jedi said:

Absolutely. Sell immigration issues to the gammons, while quietly working in the background to get around the tax laws, and open up public services for private profit....the Tories are always going to Tory

On 31/12/2020 at 10:38, coprolite said:

I don't dispute that there will always be a low tax, small state faction in the Tories. They might be able to exploit not being in the EU to achieve their objectives if they can persuade the leadership that it will win votes. 

I think you misunderstand the plan-free populist opportunist nature of this government. I guess it's comforting to think that there are unseen forces with a masterplan rather than imbeciles making shit up as they go. 

I think that your belief in the EU (containing Luxembourg, Ireland, Netherlands, Malta, Cyprus) as a paragon of tax justice is also misplaced. 

6 hours ago, coprolite said:

Totally fucked the quotes and formatting here, but anyway. 

I am still convinced that the vast majority of the UK anti avoidance tax laws are not threatened at all by brexit. I am less convinced than i was, and won't be wholly surprised if i'm proved wrong. 

The UK law (regs i think) implementing DAC6 has been repealed. For those who don't know this was an EU reporting requirement that required advisers to report certain cross border transactions often associated with tax avoidance. It didn't impose or require any anti avoidance rules.   The UK will still require disclosure of actual avoidance transactions. 

Personally i don't think this affects the UK authorities ability to deal with avoidance at all and saves a lot of pointless paperwork.  But it does fit very neatly with you guys' narrative. 

I'm not so sure about this. The UK signed up to DAC6 but will now repeal the legislation when the OECD Mandatory Disclosure Rules are legislated and the reporting portal built. In the meantime, the UK is continuing to operate DAC6 but only for the single element which aligns to MDR. Fair to say that DOTAS will still pick up a lot of tax avoidance but DAC6 has been legislated by the EU to go further on international or cross border tax avoidance and the UK are now stepping back to do the minimum required by the EU as part of securing the deal before Christmas by implementing DAC6. It's not a great look in terms of the message it sends but it is what it is given that the UK isn't an EU player any longer