Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

On 29/12/2020 at 22:51, MONKMAN said:

Brexit voting fisherman being utterly shafted, is glorious.

Along with the Turkeys voting for Christmas - Farmers and Sunderland Nissan workers.  

Independence Day is here for them as they pick up their dole money.

Scotland will return soon at least and join our Italian, French, German and Irish friends in the largest market on our doorstep. 

34 minutes ago, City Jacobite said:

Along with the Turkeys voting for Christmas - Farmers and Sunderland Nissan workers.  

Scotland will return soon at least and join our Italian, French, German and Irish friends in the largest market on our doorstep. 

How does Scotland's trade with ruk compare to Scotland's trade with the EU? 

I genuinely don't know and am asking out of interest and not to make any partisan point. 

I guess because there's no intrastat figures the Scotland/rUK figures will need estimates. Going by the history of national accounting these could range from 1% to 99% of GDP. 

My guess would be that Scotland trades far more with rUK, mainly in services. That's just a hunch though. 

Exactly and as part of EU we will have an oven ready trade deal with rUK and a common travel arrangement like Ireland. No borders, no tariffs and members of the EU..
Perfect

59 minutes ago, coprolite said:

My guess would be that Scotland trades far more with rUK, mainly in services. That's just a hunch though. 

Yes, pretty sure that's the case, though much of the services work would be able to continue unimpeded.

5 minutes ago, bendan said:

Yes, pretty sure that's the case, though much of the services work would be able to continue unimpeded.

Good point. I suppose that's not certain but it would be in everyone's interests. Regulated sectors might be an issue though, mainly the big banks, depending on what the EU-Uk relationship looks like. 

9 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Good point. I suppose that's not certain but it would be in everyone's interests. Regulated sectors might be an issue though, mainly the big banks, depending on what the EU-Uk relationship looks like. 

True, some banking roles and other systemically important positions generally need to be inside the regulatory area, but I'd imagine that's a pretty small proportion of jobs. And perhaps more would need to come to Scotland than would leave.

2 hours ago, City Jacobite said:

And free movement will help ensure no shortages of staff for the NHS and hospitality sectors.

32 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Surely the UK can build a couple of houses on Rockall and stick a few lads in with PS5s and a year supply of pizza and beer to strengthen our claim a wee bit?

Surely a job for Mr. Yaxley-Lennon.

As an afterthought what Tier will it go into?

As an afterafterthought this is never gonna end is it?

Edited by btb

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

How does Scotland's trade with ruk compare to Scotland's trade with the EU? 

I genuinely don't know and am asking out of interest and not to make any partisan point. 

I guess because there's no intrastat figures the Scotland/rUK figures will need estimates. Going by the history of national accounting these could range from 1% to 99% of GDP. 

If you're not making a partisan point there is little future for you on this thread...

30 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

If you're not making a partisan point there is little future for you on this thread...

I meant that it wasn't partisan about Scottish independence., about which i'm fairly ambivalent. I am very partisan about brexit and will continue to call brexiters thick gammons. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/05/mother-fears-son-could-die-as-brexit-stops-medical-cannabis-medicine-supply

Mother fears son could die as Brexit stops medical cannabis supply
Government gives two weeks notice that access to epilepsy treatment for nine-year-old Alfie Dingley will end

From farce to manslaughter.

Well it is Brexit related but it shouldn't be. Ireland should be allowed to fish there as it's international waters. However in 1955 I think, the UK stuck a flag in it and claimed it as British. This claim has absolutely no standing in international law as the rock is uninhabited and tiny. International law does not recognise it.
Now the UK has left the EU it is being claimed that any fishing within 12 nautical miles from the rock is off limits to non UK vessels. I appreciate that there have been issues before but these were resolved in 2019 but are being enforced again due to Brexit.
So I reiterate this recent escalation is Brexit related but is bullshit as it's clearly international waters
That's what I was getting at with per se. Of course it's Brexit related just in a somewhat roundabout road which you have perfectly explained.