Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Just now, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Greece joined the Eurozone with its eyes wide open. They had a decade to raise their retirement age, cut their public sector, trim their military spending and create an economy with stable employment and productivity.

The truth is they didn't actually need to do most of those things.  Just collect the tax due instead.

2 minutes ago, G51 said:

Do you think that if EU countries with left-leaning governments like Portugal aren't able to successfully pursue offshore havens through this directive, that's probably because the directive isn't effective?

I don't know.  Do you have evidence that Portugal isn't able to pursue offshore havens using the directive?

5 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

I don't know.  Do you have evidence that Portugal isn't able to pursue offshore havens using the directive?

Believe it or not mate, I'm not privy to information held by the Portuguese Attorney General.

I think it's pretty clear though that if they aren't doing it, that's a fairly strong indicator that they either can't or don't want to. It's difficult to believe a left-leaning government wouldn't take an easy win like that if it could.

2 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

That's my point, how do you know they aren't doing it?

Because there are still a shit load of companies operating in Portugal that are headquartered from the same office in the Virgin Islands?

Edited by G51

Just now, G51 said:

Because there are still a shit load of companies operating in Portugal that are headquartered from the same office in the Virgin Islands?

Well, if they're complying with the directive (i.e. paying taxes on profits made in Portugal), the Portuguese don't have to do anything. 

2 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

The Express is talking about ‘sunlit uplands’ due to trade deals with Turkey.

This truly is peak British banter years. 

It would be good if Turkey wanted some form of access to the UK for its citizens as part of the deal, given that the idea of preventing marauding Turks from taking our benefits formed 80% of the Leave campaign.

10 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

You're right and a 1 bedroom flat that I bought in 1986 in N1 for £43500 (2x my income)  is now retailing for £500,000 - way beyond what is affordable for most 26 year olds.

That isn't really the point, though.  South Ireland has a lower household income to that of the UK and a higher cost of living.  The P&B massive hate this being pointed out.

But the average full time salary in the republic is about 14 thousand higher than in the UK, I can only assume more work part time in Ireland which skews your claim.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/average-full-time-salary-in-republic-nearly-49-000-1.4289348

9 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

EqVZvNaW8AIuq1H?format=jpg&name=medium

Another Brexit bonus.

Why is this anything to do with Brexit?  Unless COVID is a result of Brexit too!

Pretty desperate when every negative encountered is blamed on Brexit.

How about this one that nobody on here appears to want to acknowledge.

UK Reclaims 5th largest economy, set to outgrow the EU