Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Perhaps but don't call me liar or accuse me of making it up. 
There are lots of holiday doctors who want money up front because competition is fierce and they need the cashflow to pay the bills.
The schemes and promises of the government schemes are worthless if the practitioners can't afford them.
It depends on the country, if you were holidaying in Ireland you would have to pay the initial 60euros to see GP or 100 for A&E but everything else would be free with your EHIC. You get the same as the locals as an EC citizen and card holder...and that's what you'd be offered. Perhaps this is why he wanted a card.?
EHIC is a massive loss as any further treatment could cost thousands...
Apologies if I came across accusing but not appreciating what you had is a tad naive

1 hour ago, Bishop Briggs said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55435930

Laura Kuenssberg

"It is a massive achievement for both sides that they have done such a huge trade deal on the timetable that was said to be impossible at the start.

Whatever your personal view, there's a sense of vindication in the camp of those who campaigned to leave the EU - they got a free trade deal with zero quotas and zero tariffs (although there may be some before you scream) but the UK will not be under European law."

Ever the brown noser for the Tories....

1 minute ago, John Lambies Doos said:
6 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:
There are lots of holiday doctors who want money up front because competition is fierce and they need the cashflow to pay the bills.
The schemes and promises of the government schemes are worthless if the practitioners can't afford them.

It depends on the country, if you were holidaying in Ireland you would have to pay the initial 60euros to see GP or 100 for A&E but everything else would be free with your EHIC. You get the same as the locals as an EC citizen and card holder...and that's what you'd be offered

But I wasn't holidaying in Ireland. I was in Spain and the doctor wanted paying at the end of the appointment.

My guess, based on advertisements, is that a lot of holiday doctors make their money off folk with food poisoning, drunken accidents and STDs.

4 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
9 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

It depends on the country, if you were holidaying in Ireland you would have to pay the initial 60euros to see GP or 100 for A&E but everything else would be free with your EHIC. You get the same as the locals as an EC citizen and card holder...and that's what you'd be offered

Agree with this.  Broke my arm in Norway a few years back and showed my EHIC.  They charged me around £20 for my treatment.  Didn’t even pay it there and then as their machine wouldn’t accept any of my cards.   They sent a bill to my house and I posted them a cheque.

But I wasn't holidaying in Ireland. I was in Spain and the doctor wanted paying at the end of the appointment.
My guess, based on advertisements, is that a lot of holiday doctors make their money off folk with food poisoning, drunken accidents and STDs.

I give up, I was merely using Ireland as an example. Not sure what STDs have to do with it, you must have gone private

21 minutes ago, Left Back said:

EHIC has zero bearing on the cost of travel insurance.  If it did it would be a pre-requisite to getting an insurance policy, which it isn’t.

I never said it was a couple of quid to the States.  I said to Europe.  I said it was very cheap to the States.

I have a pre-existing condition and my last policy to Europe was around £10.  My last to the USA around £20 and a worldwide annual policy 3 years ago was about £60 I think

Interesting.

A quick bit of research of the comparison websites shows the price for two weeks in the states using the example of  a 60 year old with an existing health condition ain't coming in at anywhere near 20 quid. Try timesing that by five......and that is for the shitiest basic full of loopholes cover.

The reality is nearer two hunner quid......for 2 weeks in the US.

Twenty quid.....What broker did you use?

Just now, John Lambies Doos said:
4 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

I give up, I was merely using Ireland as an example. Not sure what STDs have to do with it, you must have gone private

My wife was in severe pain and we went to the nearest doctor that we could find. Shopping around was not an option so it's possible that we went private.  

The charges were reasonable and affordable. Our insurer paid up promptly and our premium was not affected.

My point on STDs was that seems to be the source of income for holiday doctors. There are literally loads of them and 'm not sure that they are capable of dealing with acute cases.

My wife was in severe pain and we went to the nearest doctor that we could find. Shopping around was not an option so it's possible that we went private.  
The charges were reasonable and affordable. Our insurer paid up promptly and our premium was not affected.
My point on STDs was that seems to be the source of income for holiday doctors. There are literally loads of them and 'm not sure that they are capable of dealing with acute cases.

Fair enough, you must have gone private. Hopefully your wife is ok now.
Happy Christmas mate [emoji106]

9 minutes ago, git-intae-thum said:

Interesting.

A quick bit of research of the comparison websites shows the price for two weeks in the states using the example of  a 60 year old with an existing health condition ain't coming in at anywhere near 20 quid. Try timesing that by five......and that is for the shitiest basic full of loopholes cover.

The reality is nearer two hunner quid......for 2 weeks in the US.

Twenty quid.....What broker did you use?

No idea what broker I used.  It will have also been found on a comparison website.  I’m also not 60 and it would depend on what the pre-existing condition was.

8 hours ago, beefybake said:

Ever the brown noser for the Tories....

....and in the context of Scottish politics what matters most to Laura's mob will be that Hector Brocklebank's no happy:

If they were going to make such a fuss about fishing they needed to deliver a lot more than they actually did. After the 5 years are up the EU fisheries access is effectively tied to other issues in the agreement now, so there will be opportunities for the EU to apply pressure again on an annual basis in exchange for concessions elsewhere that are viewed as more important to the overall UK economy with nothing guaranteed to the SFF in the longer term. 

Edited by LongTimeLurker

9 hours ago, Left Back said:

Agree with this.  Broke my arm in Norway a few years back and showed my EHIC.  They charged me around £20 for my treatment.  Didn’t even pay it there and then as their machine wouldn’t accept any of my cards.   They sent a bill to my house and I posted them a cheque.

Do you actually think the cost of your treatment was £20? Because of EHIC you got the same subsidies as a Norwegian, that's why European travel insurance has been so cheap.