Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Here is a summary of the deal  #

https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/info/files/eu-uk_trade_and_cooperation_agreement-a_new_relationship_with_big_changes-brochure.pdf

fishing bit

The Agreement sets out new arrangements for the joint management of more than 100 shared fish stocks in EU and UK waters. Under the Agreement, EU fishing vessels will continue to have the current level of ac-cess to UK waters for a transition period of 5.5years, with a gradual and balanced reduction of EU quotas in UK waters over time. From then on, the EU and the UK will hold annual consultations to agree on fishing opportunities with a view to sustainable management of fisheries and marine resources, while preserving the activities and livelihoods of fishing communities reliant on those waters and resource

Edited by dirty dingus

13 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

In 5 years they get a 25% rise in fish stocks in exchange for agreeing to all other EU rules about fishing including keeping the current quota system.

Then further annual negotiations of the allowed catch so the fishermen don't wipe out the fish.

So "independent coastal state" willingly agreeing to all the EU rules.

They were fully expecting no foriegn types and to catch as much as they want with full access to sell it...I kid you not

8 minutes ago, strichener said:

At the risk of @John Lambies Doos using it against me later.  It is true, the EU working time provides for 4 weeks paid annual leave.

I can't remember the details now but I think the UK meets EU rules by including all public holidays in the minimum annual leave, which others don't.

image.png.ecb2619bbfbdc8a16959a8e191c5f2eb.png

This arsehole is a political correspondant for the BBC. Maybe he should wait to see what's actually in the deal before declaing it a triumph for Bozo.
To be honest, not knowing the guy from Adam but had you given us 3 guesses which media outlet he worked for pretty sure most of us would have nailed it. Its basically Tory central office at the BBC

4 hours ago, bendan said:

I agree. Most people won't experience the downside of leaving directly. Remainers have portrayed it as Armageddon so almost any conceivable outcome will be portrayed as not too bad. On the plus side, it would negate Unionist scaremongering a bit.

I don't know about that, the ETIAS application AND the 7 Euros per person per trip cost will directly impact everyone travelling to Europe (assuming we ever are permitted to do this again) whether it be a holiday, short break, business or travel to a holiday home.

I agree. Most people won't experience the downside of leaving directly. Remainers have portrayed it as Armageddon so almost any conceivable outcome will be portrayed as not too bad. On the plus side, it would negate Unionist scaremongering a bit.
Most people won't experience the downside, as long as they don't mind going back to eating what fruit and veg are domestic/in season, never go on holidays abroad, don't have kids and grandkids who will demand of them, "what the actual fűck were you lot thinking of?"...

Aye, it'll be fine.[emoji111]

Anyone heard if the EHIC card is in the deal or something similar regarding reciprocal access to healthcare? Travel insurance for me would be unaffordable, even if possible, without it.
Quote from BBC live tracker from yet another victim of brexit

Felicity McKee lives in South Armagh which is on the border between northern and southern Ireland. As a PhD student at Swansea University she regularly drives to Bristol to fly home via Dublin. As a woman who lives with multiple disabilities she is concerned about how health insurance will work in the future.

“I get ill when I travel and there is no way I could afford a hospital stay. The cost of health insurance is higher anyway for disabled people and I’ve got ill abroad before. It is very concerning

“As far as I can see the European Health Insurance card (EHIC) is dead in the water in the future and the issue of health insurance is messy. When it comes to the NHS and health care I don’t know how that will work if I got ill on the wrong side of the border.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Anyone heard if the EHIC card is in the deal or something similar regarding reciprocal access to healthcare? Travel insurance for me would be unaffordable, even if possible, without it.

Some newspapers were reporting yesterday that a reciprocal deal had been agreed, however the latest update on the Gov website is as follows,

Using an EHIC from 1 January 2021

Some people can get a new UK-issued EHIC which will remain valid for visits that begin from 1 January 2021.

You’ll be able to apply if you’re:

• receiving a UK State Pension or some other ‘exportable benefits’ and living in the EU before the end of 2020
  • a ‘frontier worker’ (someone who works in one state and lives in another) before the end of 2020, for as long as you continue to be a frontier worker in the host state
  • an EU national living in the UK before the end of 2020
  • a dependant of one of the above

If you have a registered S1, E121, E106 or E109 form you can apply now for your new UK EHIC on the NHS website.

At the risk of [mention=45409]John Lambies Doos[/mention] using it against me later.  It is true, the EU working time provides for 4 weeks paid annual leave.
[mention=40809]strichener[/mention] You are correct, but I think[mention=30062]Welshbairn[/mention]. and you were saying the same thing. WB articulated that his employer had to up leave to meet directive; and tbf if UK wanted to reduce this they can't reasonably do so until next year.

nlli88mf25761.png?width=960%26height=616%26crop=smart%26auto=webp%26s=72a2f4eeca8b17b84a4bdfd9434432953c38e75b&key=c803e301b88057cb1ccc149c6e0a5b8fd8f47dbe387cf23e4383d47ac16b6b24

That will be Manston Airfield near Broadstairs in Kent.
Am I the only person who thinks it is just a coincidence that BJ announced the deal in the middle of the afternoon on Christmas Eve when most of the country is on the build up to what limited festivities they can have this year.
I am almost surprised he didn’t do the announcement in a Santa outfit though he did manage a Brussel Sprouts quip in it.
It leaves almost no time for any proper scrutiny of the deal by Parliament. Why do I get the feeling that’s how he had planned it all along.