Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

29 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

An interview with Ian Paisley Junior MP.  He said the whole issue was simple.  If Ireland leaves the EU as well then there would be no need for a hard border.  

That's a bit different from "firmly believing Ireland would decide to leave the EU".

If there is No Deal, Ireland is going to be in a bigger mess than we are, by all accounts, so a deal will be stitched together or Ireland will be given substantial support.

ETA: Brexit: What would no deal mean for Ireland’s economy? - BBC News

Edited by Jacksgranda
Update

2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Agreed, but those that can could have significant impacts. Thai chicken without tarrifs will be even cheaper and i don't expect what people want will figure very heavily when we take a length from the States and let in their chemical laced beef. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/60517/allegations-fox.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiV5oWPss3tAhXLYcAKHSf5BbkQFjACegQIDBAB&usg=AOvVaw24gm-vrizxHk7uyDMoH_YU

It was front page news and top of the tv bulletins for days. Unless you're going with the new Tory position that the ministerial code is for losers. 

Nah, I was confused what the guy meant, not followed that story, thanks for clarifying. 

25 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

If there is No Deal, Ireland is going to be in a bigger mess than we are, by all accounts, so a deal will be stitched together or Ireland will be given substantial support.

In terms of strange government behaviour in all of this, the RoI comes a close second to the UK in seeming detached from reality.

5 minutes ago, bendan said:

In terms of strange government behaviour in all of this, the RoI comes a close second to the UK in seeming detached from reality.

I'd say they've been given assurances behind the scenes re support etc.

They'll find out soon enough about how much credence they should have given these assurances, irrespective of No Deal or fudged deal.

A problem for the EU could be if Ireland get special financial help etc, some of the poorer members might start looking for it too. Afaik Ireland are now a nett contributor to the EU budget. (Stand to be corrected on that.)

Edited by Jacksgranda
Wrong wording and sllepnig

3 hours ago, coprolite said:

There are a lot of moving parts that mean it's pretty tricky to predict. 

As i touched on earlier though, the price of domestic production isn't fixed and can also depend on barriers on inputs. Non tarrif barriers are very important here. Things like rules on GM animal feed will have potentially more impact on competitiveness than a modest tarrif and could potentially cut off whole markets. 

If we drop safety requirements on beef products then US producers will be able to compete easily in the UK. 

Previously mentioned sugar beets. They're way more expensive than cane and only viable due to tarrifs. If we wanted a deal with Brazil or India those tarrifs would have to be on the table. 

If we dont have the beets then we cant get the killer tofu. 

59 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

If the UK and Ireland had a joint referendum to decide if the UK and Ireland should both leave the EU.

A narrow win for leave in the UK combined with a large win for remain in Ireland (i.e. ROI) would have resulted in  a combined result that was for Remain.

Leave won by around 1.27M votes in the UK - my arithmetic is not what it was and I'm making a few assumptions but with the electorate in the Republic around 3.3M in their 2016 GE and assuming a similar turnout to the UK of 72% in the referendum the Republic would've had to vote 77% remain - just saying!

My workings

3.3M * 72% Turnout * 77% Remain = 1.83m

3.3M * 72% Turnout * 23% Remain = 0.55m

Difference = 1.28M

5 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

in what way?

Ireland's economic relationship with the UK is totally different to that of every other EU state, and it also has a better understanding of the UK from a cultural perspective. Yet under Varadkar at least it was almost willing the UK to a no deal exit. I can understand the historical aspect to Ireland's enjoyment of the UK's difficulties, but it was still a bit perplexing.

9 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I don't understand this reference one little bit but i'm unequivocally against killer tofu. It is bad. 

Aye ee ooh

Im not gonna lie its an incredibly incredibly niche reference to a TV program called Doug that i watched when I was a kid, they had a band called ‘the beets’ and theyre big song was ‘killer tofu’. 

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

I haven't really followed that intensively but they seem to have made big things out of the UK honouring its commitments be that the GFA or whatever version of the deal has been signed up to now. What have they done to push to no deal?

They haven't pushed for no deal, but the obstructionism and often bogus arguments (where every possible solution was instantly dismissed) put forward in the discussions about the NI protocol exhausted all good will from the process and led to Theresa May (who offered a high degree of alignment) being replaced by Johnson. 

2 hours ago, btb said:

Leave won by around 1.27M votes in the UK - my arithmetic is not what it was and I'm making a few assumptions but with the electorate in the Republic around 3.3M in their 2016 GE and assuming a similar turnout to the UK of 72% in the referendum the Republic would've had to vote 77% remain - just saying!

My workings

3.3M * 72% Turnout * 77% Remain = 1.83m

3.3M * 72% Turnout * 23% Remain = 0.55m

Difference = 1.28M

I don't think the RoI would have had any problem getting those figures, tbh.

Another thing lost through Brexit, Germany parodying the U.K. Prime Minister.  It would be nice to think that we could do this for ourselves from January 1 but I’m not sure if we have the gumption.

People: - The Clown

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/brexit-news/europe-news/brexit-comedy-sketch-the-clown-6754028

On 15/12/2020 at 18:16, Granny Danger said:

Another thing lost through Brexit, Germany parodying the U.K. Prime Minister.

Hasn't this actually been one of the few benefits of Brexit? We've created comedy across the continent, in some unlikely places.