Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

"I wish I had bothered to properly read up on how my vote would affect me but I didn't. Now I know it will badly affect me and I wish I had bothered to read up on it."

35 minutes ago, Funky Nosejob said:

I’m looking forward to all the fish landed in the UK staying in the UK.

There’s nothing I enjoy more than my lunchtime mackerel melt panini and weekly herring supper.

649E3C5C-BCE5-43A0-A509-7EEA650ED5A2.thumb.jpeg.5a1f1ba1897f03eefb2f36927b652f3f.jpeg

Or, maybe, there’s a reason most fish landed in the UK currently gets sent abroad.🤔

Mackerel and Herring are very good for you. High in those healthy omega oils.

Not so great deep fried I guess.

3 minutes ago, RiG said:

"I wish I had bothered to properly read up on how my vote would affect me but I didn't. Now I know it will badly affect me and I wish I had bothered to read up on it."

Common theme amongst even the sentient brexiters that i spoke to was that there was something they disliked about the EU but they hadn't considered how leaving would actually affect it. 

I didn't speak to any fishermen (as per the map above, they're rare in these parts) but i spoke to a few who thought the EU was undemocratic and thought we shouldn't be bound by laws passed by an unelected commission. Leaving aside the misunderstanding of the facts, they seemed to think that a customs union or Norway/Switzerland type arrangement would remedy that. 

"The implications of the paperwork." really is a cracking phrase. 

Seems fishing is  starting to get downplayed now in the greater scheme of things, a few times in the last few days various folk on telly saying fishing may not be worth risking the chance of a deal of some sort. A definite change of tack will have all those brexteer fishermen suffering squeaky bum time

Just now, coprolite said:

Common theme amongst even the sentient brexiters that i spoke to was that there was something they disliked about the EU but they hadn't considered how leaving would actually affect it. 

I didn't speak to any fishermen (as per the map above, they're rare in these parts) but i spoke to a few who thought the EU was undemocratic and thought we shouldn't be bound by laws passed by an unelected commission. Leaving aside the misunderstanding of the facts, they seemed to think that a customs union or Norway/Switzerland type arrangement would remedy that. 

"The implications of the paperwork." really is a cracking phrase. 

it seems a bit mental how little focus there was on N.Ireland/Republic prior to the Brexit referendum, can't remember it coming up much as a point of discussion. Post referendum I'm sure I caught a lot more news items on it...

Just now, peternapper said:

Seems fishing is  starting to get downplayed now in the greater scheme of things, a few times in the last few days various folk on telly saying fishing may not be worth risking the chance of a deal of some sort. A definite change of tack will have all those brexteer fishermen suffering squeaky bum time

Not at all. It'll be the SNPs fault as always.

1 minute ago, Suspect Device said:

Mackerel and Herring are very good for you. High in those healthy omega oils.

Not so great deep fried I guess.

But we don’t eat them very much. That’s why most of the fish landed in the UK goes abroad.

Not because of the EU “stealing” our fish, but because we won’t buy the fish we land because we prefer cod, haddock, tuna and salmon. That’s not going to change after Brexit.

1 minute ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

it seems a bit mental how little focus there was on N.Ireland/Republic prior to the Brexit referendum, can't remember it coming up much as a point of discussion. Post referendum I'm sure I caught a lot more news items on it...

Probably because it was a real weakness in the case for Brexit so the pro brexit papers ignored it and the telly takes their agenda from the tabloids. 

Cant remember the percentage but the vast majority of UK fishing quota is owned by 5 families so they would be the ones more threatened by the EU. For years owners took the money and run scrapping boats & selling on quota, even now many of the boats carry crew from the Philippines or Africa not sure how they will get on with the UKs immigration policies  

18 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

LongTimeLurker has insisted on multiple occasions that he was pilloried on here for discussing it

4 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:
5 hours ago, Gordon EF said:
Scrabster is a weird place. I was there last summer and the place looked like it was overrun with the cast of The Hills Have Eyes in Rangers tops.

It was Scrabster where they gaffer taped that Canadian woman to her office chair for a laugh. Caithness is a strange place.

Only two roads in.  Caithness is an island.

59 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Historically Ireland was wee compared to the UK.  Whatever the UK decided to do, Ireland would do as well.  The Irish punt was pegged to the pound throughout its entire existence.  The assumption was that if the UK decided to leave the EU then Ireland would do so as well.

However with Brexit, Ireland saw the EU as an opportunity to ditch its colonial status for good and that changed everything.  Just my opinion.

But we don’t eat them very much. That’s why most of the fish landed in the UK goes abroad.
Not because of the EU “stealing” our fish, but because we won’t buy the fish we land because we prefer cod, haddock, tuna and salmon. That’s not going to change after Brexit.

I touched upon this on the Rewilding Scotland thread but I don't think it would be a bad thing if the people of this country started eating a more diverse range of meat and fish and in the process strengthened the traditional Scottish kitchen. Besides, herring is great.

16 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

I remember a documentary or long article showing May to be shocked to find out it might be a problem. The whole emphasis was about just get it done and worry about the problems after, and the Remainers thought it was never going to happen anyway so didn't bother looking into all the ramifications.

Edited by welshbairn

30 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I remember a documentary or long article showing May to be shocked to find out it might be a problem. The whole emphasis was about just get it done and worry about the problems after, and the Remainers thought it was never going to happen anyway so didn't bother looking into all the ramifications.

that sounds about right tbf yeah, one of the new channels (C4 news?) the day after the referendum had a fairly shocked presenter find out that there was literally no govt planning in place for the event of a leave vote

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely