Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

7 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

More than 10x demand for €17billion worth of euro bonds but aye EU needs UK more than the UK needs EU. Minterific.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/opinion/articles/2020-10-20/the-eu-blows-the-roof-off-the-bond-market-with-sure-sale?sref=snjXxCit&__twitter_impression=true

In fairness the DMO hasn't had a failed auction since 2009.

It does show a wider issue with the world economy when negative returns are viewed as attractive.

Getting that level of coverage shows that the yield was too high (even though it was negative).  It is actually a sign that the issuer isn't properly engaged with the market.

Edited by strichener

7 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

More than 10x demand for €17billion worth of euro bonds but aye EU needs UK more than the UK needs EU. Minterific.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/opinion/articles/2020-10-20/the-eu-blows-the-roof-off-the-bond-market-with-sure-sale?sref=snjXxCit&__twitter_impression=true

The QE effect.

23 hours ago, Glen Sannox said:

I should have known better, responding to an old firm, bigoted dreg. I’ll not make that mistake again. Be off with you, peasant.

There's something really funny about people who probably play video games so much that they speak like an antagonist in one.

9 hours ago, coprolite said:

That makes sense as an idea in general but not as an argument for leaving the EU. The EU as a whole is broadly centre left whereas the uk will only vote for a left wing party when they pretend not to be left wing. 

The Eu was the government investing in backwaters that Westminster neglects, whoever's sitting on the speaker's right. 

I appreciate you're not advocating this as an argument but it's no more coherent than complaints about unelected bureaucrats. 

The EU is socially very liberal (if you're white and/ or European) but economically right wing which was the argument underpinning Lexit. Regardless of how feasible their project was (I wasn't convinced) they started from a critique which had a lot of validity. The EU isn't a bastion of progressive politics it only really looks so because we live on the hell island.

Edited by NotThePars

22 hours ago, Glen Sannox said:

I should have known better, responding to an old firm, bigoted dreg. I’ll not make that mistake again. Be off with you, peasant.

So that's no you don't have an answer or defence?  Didn't think so.

I think the biggest problem with Lexit wasn’t the arguments in and of themselves, it was that it clearly was never on the table. Any form of the UK leaving the EU was always going to be orchestrated by the right to serve the needs and desires of the right.

11 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I'm not a huge fan of the House of Lords and the way it works, but occasionally the odd gem crops up!

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/brexit-news/westminster-news/betty-boothroyd-on-boris-johnson-and-brexit-3848744

My favourite thing about the House of Lords is when people who presumably aren’t actively trying to get rid of it call the EU “unaccountable.”

Other than that, they can all go f**k themselves, even if they occasionally call Johnson a c**t.

42 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I think the biggest problem with Lexit wasn’t the arguments in and of themselves, it was that it clearly was never on the table. Any form of the UK leaving the EU was always going to be orchestrated by the right to serve the needs and desires of the right.

Yep. It's a good chunk of the reason why I voted Remain as well. Any good theoretical arguments for leaving the Union were vastly outweighed by the fact that every single person that could enact Leave were insane right-wingers. Even a Corbyn victory in 2017 would've had to contend with being embattled on all sides before it even got the opportunity to engage in a vastly more good faith discussion with the EU than the Tories are having.

Edited by NotThePars

Turkeys voting not to have an early Christmas.

UK farmers call for EU workers to bypass Covid quarantine

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/oct/21/uk-farmers-warn-of-christmas-turkey-shortage-unless-eu-workers-exempt-covid-quarantine

45 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Turkeys voting not to have an early Christmas.

UK farmers call for EU workers to bypass Covid quarantine

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/oct/21/uk-farmers-warn-of-christmas-turkey-shortage-unless-eu-workers-exempt-covid-quarantine

Great idea - half the country under restrictions, virus rapidly spreading and increasing or so they tell us and now this lot want to bring in hundreds from other countries who may or may not be infected. No guarantee anyway that we will be able to mingle freely at Xmas.

On 19/10/2020 at 22:59, Glen Sannox said:

A celtic fan that has bought into the chlorinated chicken scaremongering. I know that all you bed wetters need led by the hand, but here’s a thought for you...if you don’t fancy chlorinated chicken, don’t fucking buy it. p***k.

How would I know which chicken was chlorinated and which wasn't?

What if the only chicken I can afford is chlorinated?

What are the benefits of chlorinated chicken?

Guest Bob Mahelp

Seems like we're reaching the end game in all this fucking shambles. 

There's going to some cobbled together pish that will look nothing like 'the easiest deal in history', will still take years to finalise, and will cost the UK hundreds of billions of pounds over the next decade or so. 

But...and here's the most important part for the these fuckwit Tories, the EU will agree to it being presented in manner that makes it look like the UK got everything that they asked for. 

None of the humiliating detail or compromises made are important to the Tories, as long as they can get The Express or Daily Mail to print a headline saying, 'WE WON !!'

2 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Seems like we're reaching the end game in all this fucking shambles. 

There's going to some cobbled together pish that will look nothing like 'the easiest deal in history', will still take years to finalise, and will cost the UK hundreds of billions of pounds over the next decade or so. 

But...and here's the most important part for the these fuckwit Tories, the EU will agree to it being presented in manner that makes it look like the UK got everything that they asked for. 

None of the humiliating detail or compromises made are important to the Tories, as long as they can get The Express or Daily Mail to print a headline saying, 'WE WON !!'

Whatever happens it is not in the EU’s interest to present this as a victory for the UK.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Whatever happens it is not in the EU’s interest to present this as a victory for the UK.

I'm not sure that the EU care all that much. 

It's most certainly in the EU's best interests to have a deal of some sort with the UK. I think that the EU are well aware of the power of the UK media and their right wing bias, and they know that regardless of the outcome that the UK media will never present the truth of the situation. 

Brexit is a victory for nobody, I think anyone, anywhere with an iota of sense knows that. I doubt that the Daily Mail screaming from the rooftops about our spitfires defeating these dirty foreign basturds will have other countries in the EU pining to leave it. 

4 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I'm not sure that the EU care all that much. 

It's most certainly in the EU's best interests to have a deal of some sort with the UK. I think that the EU are well aware of the power of the UK media and their right wing bias, and they know that regardless of the outcome that the UK media will never present the truth of the situation. 

Brexit is a victory for nobody, I think anyone, anywhere with an iota of sense knows that. I doubt that the Daily Mail screaming from the rooftops about our spitfires defeating these dirty foreign basturds will have other countries in the EU pining to leave it. 

I think they do care.  It is important for the EU that the U.K. suffers and is seen to be suffering.  The first is inevitable but the second has importance in acting as a warning shot to other potential leavers.