Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

4 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
On 22/06/2020 at 23:14, Baxter Parp said:

In fairness, don't blame him at all. Anyway he was against Brexit. Bienvenue Stanley!!

^^^

tumblr_n3oj8cg5j21sp11gbo1_640.jpg

7 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
On 22/06/2020 at 23:14, Baxter Parp said:

In fairness, don't blame him at all. Anyway he was against Brexit. Bienvenue Stanley!!

He was against it until his repulsive offspring looked likely to gain the office that the old inbred thought God owed him. Then he became a born-again Brexiteer, because it’s all rather a wheeze to these toffs anyway. They have no principles or strong political beliefs, other than the belief that they are divinely ordained to rule over their inferiors. They’ll be alright.

https://amp.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/nigel-farage/i-am-a-leaver-stanley-johnson-switches-sides-in-br/

15 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Their likely partners might not go down well with the paranoid about Huawei 5g community.

https://advanced-television.com/2020/06/15/oneweb-auction-generates-extra-chinese-interest/

On 19/06/2020 at 22:07, Bishop Briggs said:

Same as mine. It was made/printed in Gateshead by De La Rue. The colour does not bother me as I'm not a total mentalist

FTFY

14 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Their likely partners might not go down well with the paranoid about Huawei 5g community.

https://advanced-television.com/2020/06/15/oneweb-auction-generates-extra-chinese-interest/

Meltdown if the Chinese become major players in the UK's  'independent'  satnav project.    

ETA       I'm no financial/business expert but these guys are.

Quilty Analytics states that – in simple terms – OneWeb has three possible paths forward:

(1) Raise additional capital,
(2) Sell the company, or if unsuccessful in the first two options,
(3) Liquidate the assets.

Edited by cyderspaceman

The European Social Survey, conducted every two years, found that support for the EU had risen across the continent and in Britain.

The survey, completed in 2019 and released this week, found that 57% of Brits said they would vote to be inside the EU, compared with 50% who said the same in the previous survey, released in 2018.

By contrast, just 35% said they would vote to be outside the EU, compared with the 52% of people who voted to leave in 2016. Eight percent of Brits said they would not vote in such a referendum.

https://www.businessinsider.com/brexit-poll-most-british-people-want-to-rejoin-eu-2020-6?r=US&IR=T

From the FT....

The pound is now an emerging-market currency in all but name, according to analysts at Bank of America, who say that Brexit has turned it into a mirror of the “small and shrinking” UK economy.

In the four years since the UK voted to leave the EU, trading conditions in the pound and the big swings in exchange rates make it a better match with the Mexican peso than the US dollar, said Kamal Sharma, a currency analyst at BofA. He said that movements in the currency since the June 2016 Brexit vote have become “neurotic at best, unfathomable at worst”.

The bank’s analysts noted that the difference between rates at which investors are willing to buy and sell sterling remains bigger than in other major currencies, even after the broader market has settled in the wake of the coronavirus-related panic in March

Full article

https://www.ft.com/content/4fd04fd9-7209-4b7c-97a1-97466f226159?segmentID=635a35f9-12b4-dbf5-9fe6-6b8e6ffb143e

So, let's see if I've got this right. One of the main drivers of Brexit was to enable the UK to drastically limit the immigration of EU citizens. Since the vote hundreds of thousands have returned as the Tories 'Get Brexit Done'.
Yet today we learn that three million Hong Kong residents are to be granted residency rights in the UK with the opportunity to apply for fully settled status. I'll be fascinated to see the reaction of the Gammons to that one.

2 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

So, let's see if I've got this right. One of the main drivers of Brexit was to enable the UK to drastically limit the immigration of EU citizens. Since the vote hundreds of thousands have returned as the Tories 'Get Brexit Done'.
Yet today we learn that three million Hong Kong residents are to be granted residency rights in the UK with the opportunity to apply for fully settled status. I'll be fascinated to see the reaction of the Gammons to that one.

I agree about the hypocrisy but if I was in Hong Kong I wouldn't trust a word of it. One caveat is "subject to the usual UK immigration conditions." and "detailed terms will be forthcoming shortly". It's a message pretending that the UK has any leverage in World affairs anymore, most of the people likely to be flung into a mainland jail were born too late to have a British Overseas Territories passport anyway.

31 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

There will be no borders in the uk because of Brexit🤣

The UK government has submitted applications to the EU to create Border Control Posts (BCPs) at Northern Ireland's ports

Apply to the EU to create a border post in our own country? That's what I call taking back control.

ETA: I suppose we have taken back control of applying for stuff. Not quite how it was sold at the referendum.

Edited by Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo

The border control posts are necessary for the EU's requirements to keep the EU market appropriately regulated. NI remains in the EU's customs union in all but name to facilitate north/south trade and not having these in place presents a massive risk to the EU market from fraud over what will remain an open border. 

It would be fair to say that the UK's attitude to the possibility of fraud is far more relaxed than the EU's is, which is a major sticking point at the moment. Essentially inbound checks and notifications are only going to happen because the EU demands them. Going the other way, the UK currently seems to be proposing nothing at the moment. So if you're an EU trader and you want to send your goods to the UK, just send them to RoI, pop across the border into NI and have them sent to GB from there. Hey presto - no customs duty! It's a dreadful approach.