Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

A serious question. The Covid-19 pandemic has surely, to quote a phrase, materially altered the wisdom of Brexit. What if Starmer was to go on the offensive and unequivocally declare that on careful consideration, and with regard to the welfare of every UK citizen, that a future Labour Government would, in the absence of refreshed consultation with the electorate, look to rescind the decision to leave and reapply for membership at the earliest opportunity ?
He'd be wiped out.

On 11/06/2020 at 18:29, O'Kelly Isley III said:
On 11/06/2020 at 17:49, Granny Danger said:
There will be many Leave voters genuinely surprised and concerned about this; at least the ones for whom it was not a knee jerk reaction.
There will be some Tory members and some MPs who will be equally surprised and concerned.  They’re the one who were not paying attention.
Johnson, Mogg, Rabb, Patel et al will be delighted.  This was the plan all along.  Tie a sovereign nation into a legally binding corporate deal.
The next non Tory U.K. government must have the balls to bin any such deal regardless of corporate threats.  I’m not sure they will.

A serious question. The Covid-19 pandemic has surely, to quote a phrase, materially altered the wisdom of Brexit. What if Starmer was to go on the offensive and unequivocally declare that on careful consideration, and with regard to the welfare of every UK citizen, that a future Labour Government would, in the absence of refreshed consultation with the electorate, look to rescind the decision to leave and reapply for membership at the earliest opportunity ?

The useless c**t is refusing to even argue for an extension of the transition period.

Labour trying to involve themselves in delaying Brexit in any shape or form would be suicide. That ship has sailed.
Really ? It has just hit a bloody great iceberg called Covid-19. I see where you are coming from but are you telling me that 52/48 vote would still hold firm in the face of impending economic meltdown for a generation and more ? Let's put it to the test then.

6 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
6 hours ago, welshbairn said:
The useless c**t is refusing to even argue for an extension of the transition period.

Labour trying to involve themselves in delaying Brexit in any shape or form would be suicide. That ship has sailed.

All very well for you to say with your rat jumping off a sinking ship shiny new Irish passport.

On 14/06/2020 at 18:11, O'Kelly Isley III said:
On 14/06/2020 at 12:17, John Lambies Doos said:

Really ? It has just hit a bloody great iceberg called Covid-19. I see where you are coming from but are you telling me that 52/48 vote would still hold firm in the face of impending economic meltdown for a generation and more ? Let's put it to the test then.

I've never been a fan of Brexit nor of wall-building politics and you're right about, "economic meltdown for a generation and more" but from the small group that I live/know/work with I've not heard much about reversing Brexit.  For good or ill we're stuck with it.

Edited by The_Kincardine

2 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

No danger I'm clicking on an Express article. What's supposed to be wrong with it?

No 'Up Yours Delors!' at the top of every page?

Poor quality apparently. I doubt that the French would print that on any page! 

https://www.thefirstnews.com/article/britains-new-brexit-passports-to-be-made-in-poland-6592

Louisa Bull, national officer of UNITE, Britain and Ireland’s largest trade union, said: “The government’s short-sighted and blinkered decision to award the printing of post-Brexit UK passports, worth £490 million, to French-Dutch firm Gemalto seriously undermined the financial viability of the Gateshead operation."

The Unite officer failed to mention that, according to EU law, such contracts must be open to competitive tender and awarded to the cheapest bidder . The Polish factory, with low pay and poorer conditions for its workers, was able  to undercut De La Rue by a huge margin. Gemalto bid only £260 million!

Guest Bob Mahelp

The old passports were never f*cking blue. Or at the very best, they were the darkest shade possible of blue. 

I'm amazed the old bigots moaning about this don't remember that. 

There are actually folk who'll be paying £80 (or whatever) to send back their valid-for-years passport and get a replacement that does exactly the same thing, only without European Union written on it. Just think about that.

I'll be as delighted as anyone if I get to see Scottish passports in circulation one day, but will I f**k be handing extra money over to the government if the old one with Great Britain on still works. Absolute zoomers.

1 hour ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

There are actually folk who'll be paying £80 (or whatever) to send back their valid-for-years passport and get a replacement that does exactly the same thing, only without European Union written on it. Just think about that.

Any word on where precisely Rangers are playing that Europa second leg yet? :whistle

4 hours ago, Kamenitza said:

My new one arrived yesterday.  It's a Burgandy, EU style one without the European Union stuff on it.

Same as mine. It was made/printed in Gateshead by De La Rue. The colour does not bother me as I have a black leather protective cover for it.

The quality looks better than the new French/Polish version. Perhaps Gemalto is losing money on its ultra-low bid and  cutting costs already. 

Edited by Bishop Briggs