Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Fair point - but “stalled”?
Do you think it was a straight line progression up to 2007-8?

Stalled is a metaphor as opposed to a precise technical term.

Generally if you lose power from an engine you don’t immediately stop moving but you do stop accelerating. Stalled planes don’t jus hang there in mid air

So stalled looks like a reasonable enough metaphor to me

22 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Generally if you lose power from an engine you don’t immediately stop moving but you do stop accelerating. Stalled planes don’t jus hang there in mid air

I know you like to use poetic language but you've dropped a bollock here.

To stall an engine is, in fact, a 'precise technical term' as anyone who has taken their learner weans out to drive will testify.

I know you like to use poetic language but you've dropped a bollock here.

To stall an engine is, in fact, a 'precise technical term' as anyone who has taken their learner weans out to drive will testify.

It’s a technical term in mechanical engineering

It’s not a technical term in economics

Apologies for not making that clear

40 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Gies a break. I can’t remember what I had for breakfast this morning, let alone what I said 10 days ago. But as a figure of speech, “stalled” tends to mean a sudden and disastrous loss of momentum. Not just momentary. Not just a hiccup or even a set back.

btw surely you don’t merely stop accelerating if you stall. You actually decelerate. Unless you’re in space.

9 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

It’s a technical term in mechanical engineering

It’s not a technical term in economics

Apologies for not making that clear

I'd accept that if you'd not used 'mechanical engineering' as your comparator.

Gies a break. I can’t remember what I had for breakfast this morning, let alone what I said 10 days ago. But as a figure of speech, “stalled” tends to mean a sudden and disastrous loss of momentum. Not just momentary. Not just a hiccup or even a set back.
btw surely you don’t merely stop accelerating if you stall. You actually decelerate. Unless you’re in space.

I’m pretty sure you’re arguing against your original point there

So at least you’re half right

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

The pound has dropped from 1.31 on thursday to 1.23 today, this despite the US stockmarkets tanking. Can only imagine what the forelock tugging press aren’t telling us about the UK economy.

In times of trouble the markets automatically turn to safe havens, which tend to be the US$ and the Euro. 

It's nothing to do with the UK economy (which obviously will be struggling as much as any other economy), it's simply the markets running for safety. 

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

The pound has dropped from 1.31 on thursday to 1.23 today, this despite the US stockmarkets tanking. Can only imagine what the forelock tugging press aren’t telling us about the UK economy.

Fuckme, pound's dropped near 10% against the Euro, now 1.10 euros versus 1.20 last time I looked. Glad I hoarded some holiday money a while back.

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Fuckme, pound's dropped near 10% against the Euro, now 1.10 euros versus 1.20 last time I looked. Glad I hoarded some holiday money a while back.

Calm down. You won't be going to Europe anytime soon to spend your Euros.

10 minutes ago, Blue-Toon said:

Calm down. You won't be going to Europe anytime soon to spend your Euros.

Maybe not, but I'll be wiping my arse with Belgian sourced toilet paper when you're walking about shitty arsed.

They have started have they not? These talks can easily be done remotely through technology. It's more likely that extensions will be done due to pan economic disaster

There has to be some sort of extension now into 2021. I presume he'd rather die in a ditch again.
Were trade talks not meant to start at the end of March?

Guest Bob Mahelp
7 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Brexit still on?

This pandemic changes everything. 

Nobody knows how the economic picture will look when we come out the back of this, or if attitudes will have changed or hardened.

You've got to imagine that this crisis should soften red lines both in Westminster and Brussels, but with the Tories you never know. There's a considerable number of zealots out there blinded by ideology, and given that the right-wing press are still screaming at the EU on a daily basis it may be that Johnson has no choice but to plough forward with his insanity. 

The UK is plunging towards a recession, and it can ill-afford the massive hit that a no deal Brexit will bring. Johnson....ignorant that he is.....must know that, but he's so in hock to the extremists that he'll probably be terrified to do anything other than stick to his guns and commit economic suicide.

Edited by Bob Mahelp