Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

I wonder if the EU will make it easy for blue passports to go through passport control, lure them into false sense of security and then hit them when they go through customs.

"Excuse me.  Can we check your bags?  Ensure you haven't got any chlorinated chickens or anything like that."

"We're on our way to the beach.  Do you seriously think we brought some dead birds with us?"

"Maybe not but you are not in the Customs Union any more so we need to check."

Should be fun.

5 hours ago, aDONisSheep said:

I know he's obviously as thick in the heed as shyte in the neck of a bottle, but has this got anything to do with Brexit?

It hasn't apparently but is likely to come next year.

Tempting to say it's Jackson Carlaw but he was anti Brexit. Not that you'd know it now claiming that all the stuff he used to say is just 'scare stories'.

24 minutes ago, Crùbag said:

It hasn't apparently but is likely to come next year.

Assuming it’s not a parody (and it’s getting harder to tell the difference these days) then you have to ask why a self-confessed Brexiteer is howling that he didn’t vote to stand for 55 minutes in a passport queue.

3 hours ago, trainspotter said:

Assuming it’s not a parody (and it’s getting harder to tell the difference these days) then you have to ask why a self-confessed Brexiteer is howling that he didn’t vote to stand for 55 minutes in a passport queue.

Because Brexit was all about "take back control".  So when you are in an airport and the people at passport control say "let me see your passport" you can now say "no.  Let me see yours" and then you march straight through.

..or maybe I got that wrong.

Edited by Fullerene

6 hours ago, Fullerene said:

I wonder if the EU will make it easy for blue passports to go through passport control, lure them into false sense of security and then hit them when they go through customs.

"Excuse me.  Can we check your bags?  Ensure you haven't got any chlorinated chickens or anything like that."

"We're on our way to the beach.  Do you seriously think we brought some dead birds with us?"

"Maybe not but you are not in the Customs Union any more so we need to check."

Should be fun.

Well if they want to be dicks, it should be good news for tourist resorts in Mexico, Florida, Thailand, Tunisia and, in particular, Turkey.

6 hours ago, Pet Jeden said:

Well if they want to be dicks, it should be good news for tourist resorts in Mexico, Florida, Thailand, Tunisia and, in particular, Turkey.

All further away.  All take longer to get to.  All requiring UK tourists to join the Rest of the World passport queue.

If your prediction is true then gone are the days of a quick flight, a speedy trip through the airport and on to the start of the holiday.

EU countries and especially Spain are by far the biggest tourist destination from the UK.  The USA is in fourth place but most of the rest are in the EU.

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

You shouldn't go on holiday to Turkey tbh.

Because Erdogan is not a nice man? Reasonable point. But if you restrict your holiday destinations to countries that haven’t yet had a yellow card for for human rights abuses or some disgusting animal abuse traditions, then what are you left with? A skiing holiday in Switzerland or a fortnight’s caravaning in Ireland or quick trip across to New Zealand?

Then again, there is the old argument that economic ties mean ability to gradually influence (with hopefully the influence going in the right direction).

41 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

Because Erdogan is not a nice man? Reasonable point. But if you restrict your holiday destinations to countries that haven’t yet had a yellow card for for human rights abuses or some disgusting animal abuse traditions, then what are you left with? A skiing holiday in Switzerland or a fortnight’s caravaning in Ireland or quick trip across to New Zealand?

You forgot to mention St Helena.  They were fairly nice to Napoleon and he was an enemy of the state.  They are also still nice to Jonathan the Tortoise aged 187.

I suspect there are numerous other islands around the world that have never harmed anyone.

26 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Because of various unacceptable human rights issues.

That applies to at least the USA and Thailand off that list as well.

There is definitely a myopia about which countries should be shunned over human rights. I remember a few years ago there was huge criticism of homophobia in Russia at the same time we were all buzzing for the Commonwealth games featuring a far more homophobic group of nations. 

There is talk of somehow letting UK citz retain their EU citizenship. 

I'd like to see it but only for remain voters. 

Don't know how that could be achieved though. 

It would be interesting if they did allow it and say, 40M, accepted...

Edited by cyderspaceman

3 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

There is talk of somehow letting Brits retain their EU citizenship. 

I'd like to see it but only for remain voters. 

Don't know how that could be achieved though. 

It would be interesting if they did allow it and say, 40M, accepted...

There was talk about pricing it based on the per head UK contribution to the EU, about £400. Guy Verhofstadt talked about it but I don't think anything came of it.