Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

18 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

On first read of this I find myself in the upsetting position of thinking it sounds mostly quite... good?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jan/16/food-security-brexit-biggest-shake-uk-farming-40-years-agriculture-bill

Reality starts at the 6th paragraph, imo.

2 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

On first read of this I find myself in the upsetting position of thinking it sounds mostly quite... good?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jan/16/food-security-brexit-biggest-shake-uk-farming-40-years-agriculture-bill

They'll make it more expensive for domestic farmers, without preventing them being undercut by imports? Sounds like a sop to the US already, leaving it wide open for their exporters to make money from.

38 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

A lot of farmers are tenants who don't see a penny of CAP money, for this group I can see the plans being a big improvement.

I do agree they should make damn sure our quality standards for imports are on parity with the EU but we'll see. I suspect a lot of the damage is done already around chlorine chicken and such in terms of public perspective. Consumer pressure on supermarkets will have as big a bearing on what gets stocked as any trade deal.

In any case we import a lot of awful food anyway. Cheap steaks in spoons are from intensive farming in South America, just every chicken in sandwiches in a supermarket is from Thailand.

I'll be honest, I don't know a huge amount about the farming industry. My comments were pretty much what I took from that article.

I also don't think that many people will actually care if the chicken they buy at the supermarket is chlorine washed and imported from the US. As long as it is cheaper, it will sell. You'll get a lot of online noise, as ever, but enough folk will buy it and it will become normalised in the UK before long.

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

In any case we import a lot of awful food anyway. Cheap steaks in spoons are from intensive farming in South America, just every chicken in sandwiches in a supermarket is from Thailand.

Bit surprised to read this, could be out of date though. Want to make an effort to eat only free range and ethically farmed meat, but tend to buy a lot of ready meals. Does anyone do a range of ethically sourced ready meals for lazy moralists?

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/news/thai-chicken-better-than-most-british-production-says-rspca-2124580.html

The similarities between the UK and Germany in the 1930's are getting more ominous by the day. If I was European I would get the hell out of the UK as soon as possible. I want independence from England  but what scares me is Scotland is becoming like Austria in the 30's and will end up like Austria in 1945 after the world bombs the shit out of racist England .

25 minutes ago, pawpar said:

The similarities between the UK and Germany in the 1930's are getting more ominous by the day. If I was European I would get the hell out of the UK as soon as possible. I want independence from England  but what scares me is Scotland is becoming like Austria in the 30's and will end up like Austria in 1945 after the world bombs the shit out of racist England .

6518D277-EB88-4459-B439-30F9A8134B7A.png

54 minutes ago, pawpar said:

You ARE European.

And I don't get the relevance or even the hypothetical possibility  of  'the world bombing the shit out of racist England' .

Are you a drama queen? 

On 16/01/2020 at 11:42, welshbairn said:

Bit surprised to read this, could be out of date though. Want to make an effort to eat only free range and ethically farmed meat, but tend to buy a lot of ready meals. Does anyone do a range of ethically sourced ready meals for lazy moralists?

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/news/thai-chicken-better-than-most-british-production-says-rspca-2124580.html

Just remain a lazy moralist. At least your heart's in the right place.

On 16/01/2020 at 18:46, MixuFixit said:

Huh, interesting read. Apologies to all my Thai fans.

Welshy beat me to it.

I do except your apology, however, I am still waiting on my signed photo of your good self. I do blame the Thai postal system.  

On 16/01/2020 at 18:42, welshbairn said:

https://www.higherhacknell.co.uk/cat/organic-ready-meals

4 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

IMG_20200119_143802.jpg

You've changed. You look a lot fatter with your clothes on.  Will head into the local Kodak store and get it printed and hang it on the fridge.

Edited by SlipperyP

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

That looks excellent, I'll give it a go.

Thought that was related to Mixu's post when skimming.

He was a good looking man, Turd Ferguson.