Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

On 20/11/2019 at 11:47, coprolite said:

Probably because the overheated economy of Kent makes the purchase of large amounts of land there uneconomical and because Henley is so far inland that it would not be navigable for our, or our allies, nuclear fleets. 

:lol:

On 18/11/2019 at 14:44, Pet Jeden said:

Oh come on, Mixu. It's the Grauniad FFS. You have to take 50% of what cheerleaders like them and The Express say with a shovelful of salt. They are quoting "a GP" Dr Nick Mann - who appears to post on Hackney Momentum Youtube channel. Plus a Tony O'Sullivan of the Keep Our NHS Public lobby group. The factors quoted in the 6th last para certainly sound worrying - although I confess I don't know what "manufacturing diversion" and "parallel exporting" is. But I do know that one could hazard a  guess that these 2 individuals might just not be dispassionate and objective in assessing Brexit impacts.

I don't often see the Guardian and the Express being linked on an issue.

On 20/11/2019 at 10:16, hearthammer said:

Hope it's hi-viz with all that smoke and fire likely to be scorching the area ??

Why didn't they build the proposed spaceport in, say, Kent and while they're at it, let's get the nuclear subs base transferred immediately to maybe Henley-on Thames.  De pfeffellll can have his toys on his doorstep instead of endangering other parts of the (4 equal countries 😂) union, a safe distance from him and his fellow tossers.

Vent over ☺️

Henley-on-Thames!

Could make the Oxford-Cambridge boat race a bit more interesting.

On 24/11/2019 at 10:24, Pet Jeden said:

They’re both like cheerleaders. There’s little objective journalism. The Express is less subtle about it though.

Really?  No objective journalism in the Guardian?

How often do you read these two papers/websites?

The Express is a pile of absolute far-right shite, even after being taken over by the Mirror Group.  

In that vein, I see the Daily Mail has bought the i newspaper from  JPI.  

3 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

Really?  No objective journalism in the Guardian?

How often do you read these two papers/websites?

The Express is a pile of absolute far-right shite, even after being taken over by the Mirror Group.  

In that vein, I see the Daily Mail has bought the i newspaper from  JPI.  

On Brexit/election matters - yes, really. 

Daily. Along with a few others.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50733840

Customs checks at Stranraer. 

The BBC has learned that freight could be diverted through ports with space for inspections such as Liverpool and Stranraer, despite the government denying checks will be necessary.

Customs staff at the relevant ports could include EU representatives, under the details of the new withdrawal deal.

The government said it has secured a "great new deal."

There is also a proposal for smaller "pop up labs" at ports - mobile testing labs for health checks on food exports.

There has been at least one meeting this month between Whitehall officials and shippers to discuss suitable ports.

Lovely old boy on BBC News just now telling the reporter that Corbyn's the best thing that ever happened to the Labour Party, but he's not going to vote for him as he's uncommitted on Brexit.

Who are you going to vote for then? asks the reporter.

Lib Dem, says he.

5 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Lovely old boy on BBC News just now telling the reporter that Corbyn's the best thing that ever happened to the Labour Party, but he's not going to vote for him as he's uncommitted on Brexit.

Who are you going to vote for then? asks the reporter.

Lib Dem, says he.

To be fair he probably won't see election day.

I posted this on anther thread but it really should have been here. 

https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/12/09/trump-may-kill-wto-finally-appellate-body-world-trade-organization/

The WTO is being broken up, destroyed. The US is breaking the body that rules on trade disputes. This is being done as the US now regards bilateral trade deals as being in its interest. It is now energy independent and no longer committed to collective security via NATO. It has realised China's growth is stalling, it will have little to worry about from them militarily, there is no reason for it to be the linchpin in an order of western democracies. 

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/skeptics/nato-no-longer-serves-american-interests-102162

We are not leaving the EU into the world of the 1945-2016 world order. This matters because for the past 70 years we have relied on the idea that the US\UK relations have an underlying common interest to them. 

That is gone. 

So the Tory plan is that we leave the EU on Jan 31, then if there is no final trade deal by 31 December we are out on WTO rules. 

But the WTO is being broken up.  Who do we complain to about trade violations? The US spanks a 20% tariff in aviation engines, then that is 50% if Rolls Royce gone to GE and Pratt and Whitney. Same with the insurance or banking industries. 

It is going to be a big fat shit sandwich. 

5 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

An outstanding post from a seething brexiter who thinks that academics cannot be economists.

Screenshot_20191212-122205_Facebook.jpeg

In the UK it is a rare award for excellence in research. Universities will have specific "chairs" or positions for the best in their fields in the world. These are the people who put together the theories and plans for both right and left wing economics and governments to implement. 

In the US its still a teaching and research position but anyone who is a university lecturer is in effect an "associate professor" but again you gain tenure through your research quality. 

On the whole any competent academic in economics should have no problem finding roles in private sector. 

On 10/12/2019 at 18:22, dorlomin said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50733840

Customs checks at Stranraer. 

On 10/12/2019 at 18:39, MixuFixit said:

Besides leaving that makes 2 things to do in Stranraer then.

Unfortunately there is no longer a port in Stranraer.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Johnson will soon find out that delivering Brexit is going to be far, far, far more difficult than he realises...

The only good thing about a large Tory majority is he might be able to sideline the ERG nutters and avoid doing anything too disastrous economically.

1 minute ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The only good thing about a large Tory majority is he might be able to sideline the ERG nutters and avoid doing anything too disastrous economically.

I think the right wing nutters in the Parliamentary Conservative Party will have far greater sway now than even before.  I don’t see many of the newly elected Tory MPs as being ‘one nation moderates’.