Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Anyone on here from the Sutherland area?

How's the shiny new spaceport coming along?   

The UK Space Agency said the move could pave the way for spaceflights from the site between Tongue and Durness.

Highlands and Islands Enterprise will be given £2.5m from the UK government to develop the spaceport which could be up and running by the early 2020s.

I have a vested interest👽

25 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

Hope it's hi-viz with all that smoke and fire likely to be scorching the area ??

Why didn't they build the proposed spaceport in, say, Kent and while they're at it, let's get the nuclear subs base transferred immediately to maybe Henley-on Thames.  De pfeffellll can have his toys on his doorstep instead of endangering other parts of the (4 equal countries 😂) union, a safe distance from him and his fellow tossers.

Vent over ☺️

1 hour ago, cyderspaceman said:

They're applying for planning permission next month, can't fucking wait for the first launch! They hope to start construction next year which should take 18 months.

Edited by welshbairn

20 minutes ago, hearthammer said:

Hope it's hi-viz with all that smoke and fire likely to be scorching the area ??

Why didn't they build the proposed spaceport in, say, Kent and while they're at it, let's get the nuclear subs base transferred immediately to maybe Henley-on Thames.  De pfeffellll can have his toys on his doorstep instead of endangering other parts of the (4 equal countries 😂) union, a safe distance from him and his fellow tossers.

Vent over ☺️

You should see a map of where the UK has dumped all its toxic and nuclear waste.  If that doesn't make any Scottish person angry there's something wrong with them.

28 minutes ago, hearthammer said:

Vent over ☺️

Probably because the overheated economy of Kent makes the purchase of large amounts of land there uneconomical and because Henley is so far inland that it would not be navigable for our, or our allies, nuclear fleets. 

4 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Probably because the overheated economy of Kent makes the purchase of large amounts of land there uneconomical and because Henley is so far inland that it would not be navigable for our, or our allies, nuclear fleets. 

Get off your knees man

I grew up around the Dockyard in Rosyth area during the 60s and 70s and the number of child/teen leukemia cases was both alarming and frightening.  Rosyth, Inverkeithing, Dunfermline and, I believe, Oakley were blighted by deaths during this time.  It was consensus that the "behind the fence" area in the Dockyard (where the nuclear subs were housed and re-fitted) had a big part to play in these deaths.  I personally knew 3 people who died - 2 of whom were close friends.

The MOD, as you would expect, closed ranks and denied any connection.

The pall (proverbially speaking) still hangs over the area from that time.

12 minutes ago, Kuro said:

Get off your knees man

What a bizarre non-sequitir. Unless you are being too post modern for me and I'm being whooshed. 

There are many good reasons to criticise Boris Johnson. Failing to build a deep water port for submarines half way up a muddy river is not a good reason. 

Not even sure what the imagined problem with the spaceport is. Fire apparently. 

10 minutes ago, hearthammer said:

I grew up around the Dockyard in Rosyth area during the 60s and 70s and the number of child/teen leukemia cases was both alarming and frightening.  Rosyth, Inverkeithing, Dunfermline and, I believe, Oakley were blighted by deaths during this time.  It was consensus that the "behind the fence" area in the Dockyard (where the nuclear subs were housed and re-fitted) had a big part to play in these deaths.  I personally knew 3 people who died - 2 of whom were close friends.

That's disgusting.  Scotland also has the highest rate of MS in the world my sister has it.  They don't know what causes it or why rates are so high here.

10 minutes ago, coprolite said:

What a bizarre non-sequitir. Unless you are being too post modern for me and I'm being whooshed. 

There are many good reasons to criticise Boris Johnson. Failing to build a deep water port for submarines half way up a muddy river is not a good reason. 

Not even sure what the imagined problem with the spaceport is. Fire apparently. 

There are many places to build a port, southend, portsmouth, Southampton, plymouth.  Dodging the issue.  As for the spaceport why choose the car North of Scotland

2 minutes ago, Kuro said:

That's disgusting.  Scotland also has the highest rate of MS in the world my sister has it.  They don't know what causes it or why rates are so high here.

Terrible about your sister, mate.  Unfortunately, lots of diseases are more prevalent in Scotland with diet and lifestyle carrying the can for most.  However, like MS, there's no logical reasoning as to why it's so rife.

If only we were all born with the surname Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, then we wouldn't get any of these serious illnesses and live long and wealthy lives.

2 minutes ago, hearthammer said:

Terrible about your sister, mate.  Unfortunately, lots of diseases are more prevalent in Scotland with diet and lifestyle carrying the can for most.  However, like MS, there's no logical reasoning as to why it's so rife.

If only we were all born with the surname Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, then we wouldn't get any of these serious illnesses and live long and wealthy lives.

If we had a Scottish media rather than another country's media projected into our homes none of this would be possible it would be politically unsustainable for a government to be dumping for and nuclear waste (mostly from another country) in our beautiful small country while we didn't even need or want nuclear energy or weapons anyway.

10 minutes ago, Kuro said:

As for the spaceport why choose the car North of Scotland

Good for orbit trajectories, local employment and a spectacular show. Not sure why anyone would be against it. It's Highlands and Islands Enterprise that are pushing for it.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Good for orbit trajectories, local employment and a spectacular show. Not sure why anyone would be against it. It's Highlands and Islands Enterprise that are pushing for it.

You can orbit trajectory my weiner

3 minutes ago, Kuro said:

There are many places to build a port, southend, portsmouth, Southampton, plymouth.  Dodging the issue.  As for the spaceport why choose the car North of Scotland

The question was "why not put it in henley on Thames" None of those places is in Henley on Thames. 

As for the spaceport, as I said, cheap land. Plus much needed investment. You'd be crying if they'd put it in Croydon. What's the problem with a spaceport? 

6 minutes ago, coprolite said:

The question was "why not put it in henley on Thames" None of those places is in Henley on Thames. 

As for the spaceport, as I said, cheap land. Plus much needed investment. You'd be crying if they'd put it in Croydon. What's the problem with a spaceport? 

But there are many appropriate places down south, which you glossed over.

1 minute ago, Kuro said:

But there are many appropriate places down south, which you glossed over.

No I didn't.

I was poking fun at the red faced mcgammony rant by providing a literal answer when the unspoken "correct" answer was supposed to be "because he's a Southern b*****d who hates Scotland". 

Had the post mentioned, say, Falmouth or Plymouth the opportunity for sarcasm would have been denied to me. 

You have mistaken my taking the piss out of a lazy expression of a well worn (but very valid) argument for me engaging with the underlying argument. 

And those guffy p***ks aren't getting our spaceport. It is going to be cool. 

2 hours ago, hearthammer said:

It's fairly well recognised that you can get clustering of malignancies around big construction projects. It's unlikely to be radiation related, since you see it with other projects: like Sullom Voe oil terminal. The current theory is that you get an influx of workers who aren't local to the area who carry usually harmless viruses that the local population aren't normally exposed to and this predisposes the locals to conditions (like cancers or MS) where a disordered immune response is thought to have a major role.