Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Absolutely. The SNP can't be seen to be playing politics.

In the same vein, is the Labour party making a huge mistake by voting it down (if that's what happens)? It looks like they were never going to accept any deal that any tory pm got and that might affect them at the ballot box.

The obvious thing for Labour to do is to accept so long as it goes to a referendum vs Remain.

But this is Labour we're talking about.

Another open goal and they are going to miss it.

32 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Well argued and consistent.  The lack of commitment to retaining workers’, consumers’ and environmental protection in the proposed deal makes it harder for the Kinnock camp to give their support.

Would you insist that any Labour MP should be sacked for voting for the deal if it was conditional on going to a confirmatory referendum versus Remain? Just curious.

Edited by welshbairn

31 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Well argued and consistent.  The lack of commitment to retaining workers’, consumers’ and environmental protection in the proposed deal makes it harder for the Kinnock camp to give their support.

Third time lucky...

I find it ludicrous that you don't support this deal. You voted leave as it would speed up the Scottish independence journey. This deal will exactly do this, it also gives a blueprint to avoid a future hard border between Scotland (in EU) and England not. It's incredulous that you aren't supporting this.

OK, the Forfar Dispatch newspaper isn't a barometer for the country, but Angus does have Kirstene 'don't ask me difficult questions' Hair as MP and many 'farmers'. Yet the front page lead headline is 'Shock findings of Brexit report' that says Angus is potentially one of the areas to be worst hit by Brexit. Hope it will help more people think about the state of UK and the idea of equal nations.

53 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

This would be delicious

Surely this is resolved by overturning the legislation.

If the Tories have the numbers to pass Johnson’s ‘deal’ then they have the numbers to do that. 

OK, the Forfar Dispatch newspaper isn't a barometer for the country, but Angus does have Kirstene 'don't ask me difficult questions' Hair as MP and many 'farmers'. Yet the front page lead headline is 'Shock findings of Brexit report' that says Angus is potentially one of the areas to be worst hit by Brexit. Hope it will help more people think about the state of UK and the idea of equal nations.
She's my MP. The humiliation [emoji23] A huge number of local Tory doormats thinks it's fake news and it'll be ok "because we survived rationing".

Dribbling idiots [emoji23][emoji23]

3 hours ago, pandarilla said:

What's he done today?

He responded to it clearly, twice (once outside and once inside somewhere).

Other than that, the detail is crucial and time is needed to go through it.

What do you want him to do?

I'd like him to step down from the leadership of a party which is currently IMO unelectable. it's a real sadness to me that the leader of the opposition can have had such little , in fact negative, impact over a prolonged period where the Government has been in such disarray. 

2 hours ago, johnnydun said:

The DUP will not take any pay off now that the UVF have guns pointed at their heids.

It's more the UDA that they were always uncomfortably close to over the years. The problem for the DUP is that there isn't scope for a Unionist veto on the backstop if this goes to Stormont as there normally would be under the GFA. That's not something they are likely to fold on. Boris J needs parliament to collapse pronto so a general election is fought on the issue of him delivering this deal, so he's probably more than happy to jettison the DUP at this point.

1 minute ago, LongTimeLurker said:

It's more the UDA that they were always uncomfortably close to over the years. The problem for the DUP is that there isn't scope for a Unionist veto on the backstop if this goes to Stormont as there normally would be under the GFA. That's not something they are likely to fold on. Boris J needs parliament to collapse pronto so a general election is fought on the issue of him delivering this deal, so he's probably more than happy to jettison the DUP at this point.

Just with Foster having meetings with the UVF and UDA this week, I can only imagine them letting her know that if she votes through any deal that would align NI more with the Republic than with the rest of the UK, there will be repercussions. 

Guest Bob Mahelp

I'm surprised that Johnston has agreed to this Theresa May-lite type of deal. 

I always believed he would hold out until the upcoming GE and then campaign on a 'people v parliament' ticket that would surely have seen a clear Tory majority in the HoC....with that he would have had a mandate to go back to Brussels with a hard right agenda.

If parliament reject his plan, a GE is inevitable and he leaves himself vulnerable to losing MP's to the Brexit Party.

His bluster combined with favourable propaganda from the right-wing press can only take him so far. Sooner rather than later, the country will realise that he's a cowardly wee hypocrite who has capitulated to the EU.