Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

I see Nigel Dodds the deputy leader of the DUP is being reported in the media as saying the deal "cannot work because Northern Ireland has to remain fully part of the UK customs union"
Not surprising - Boris's deal is just May's repackaged.

As I keep saying let him get it through on condition there is referendum vs Remain.

7 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Depends on how much cash he will have to bung the DUP to gain their support.

Boris's real endgame is an extension forced by the opposition followed by an early election so he can secure a big enough majority to do what he likes without the DUP. Before that he needs to undermine the fear factor over No Deal by making it look like he can get a reasonable one if handed a majority. 

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Boris's real endgame is an extension forced by the opposition followed by an early election so he can secure a big enough majority to do what he likes without the DUP. Before that he needs to undermine the fear factor over No Deal by making it look like he can get a reasonable one if handed a majority. 

I don't see it.  If we're still in the EU come 1 November Johnson will lose votes to Farage on a GE.

I think it would be another hung Parliament with the Tories with the most seats.

I bought the Sunday Times today for the first time in ages.  Extensive and seemingly well informed articles and opinions about the latest Brexit situation.
Johnson is on the ropes big time. Any opposition MP who aides and abets him in getting through a deal is betraying everyone who voted for them.

And betraying your democratic vote I may add

I bought the Sunday Times today for the first time in ages.  Extensive and seemingly well informed articles and opinions about the latest Brexit situation.
Johnson is on the ropes big time. Any opposition MP who aides and abets him in getting through a deal is betraying everyone who voted for them.

Dont suppose this story is in it by any chance?

Sorry to go off topic but any chance of a picture of the full story as the headline seems crazy.Screenshot_20191013-195654_Chrome.jpeg

With the current electoral system, an MP can elected on less than 50% of the vote. For example, in England, a Labour MP might get 35%, while the Tories and UKIP (or similar) get 30% each. That does not mean the Labour MP has to respect the wishes of the 60% or more who voted for someone else - i.e. pretend to be a Tory.

Similarly a Labour MP might represent a Leave constituency but that might include all Tory voters and UKIP voters while most Labour voters were for Remain. Why does anyone have to pretend to be a Leaver if they are not a Leaver.

With the current electoral system, an MP can elected on less than 50% of the vote. For example, in England, a Labour MP might get 35%, while the Tories and UKIP (or similar) get 30% each. That does not mean the Labour MP has to respect the wishes of the 60% or more who voted for someone else - i.e. pretend to be a Tory.
Similarly a Labour MP might represent a Leave constituency but that might include all Tory voters and UKIP voters while most Labour voters were for Remain. Why does anyone have to pretend to be a Leaver if they are not a Leaver.
You don't have to be - but presumably there's a sense of public duty regarding representing your constituents.

I'm guessing it's a difficult circle to square sometimes.

1 hour ago, doulikefish said:

Seemingly boris has dropped the "stormont get a say " in the negotiations
The dinasour deniers will be happyemoji23.png

He is in a trap of his own making and is now desperate.

I read yesterday that he has been warned in stark terms from his own people that a return to a hard border will almost certainly lead to violence from dissident groups.  Not an auspicious start for a new PM.

Surely no one in Westminter will vote for deal that includes a hard border.
Apart the DUP who's sole policy is to go back to the good old days when they could shoot Cafflicks and Rangers were still alive.
The ERG are are probably already short selling NI property.

13 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

He is in a trap of his own making and is now desperate.

I read yesterday that he has been warned in stark terms from his own people that a return to a hard border will almost certainly lead to violence from dissident groups.  Not an auspicious start for a new PM.

You really should not snigger at the possibility of Republican terrorism. You almost seem to welcome it as means to prove yourself cleverer than Boris. It's a sad thing that terrorism threats/predictions from the Irish (parroted by plenty in the UK) have been rewarded by the EU wringing concessions from the UK - whereas Catalonia peacefully organises a democratic referendum and is rewarded by Kangaroo courts and compliant silence from the EU. I wonder just what lesson Loyalist extremists will take from this?

Guest Bob Mahelp

It looks like the mood music has changed. I suspect that some sort of deal will be cobbled together this week, and that we will leave the EU on the 31st October. 

23 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

It looks like the mood music has changed. I suspect that some sort of deal will be cobbled together this week, and that we will leave the EU on the 31st October. 

I’m not convinced.  The EU know that whatever is agreed can have severe ramifications for the integrity of the EU27 down the line.

I agree that any proposal at this stage would be “cobbled together” unless it’s the one already agreed with May and just rebranded.

That would satisfy the EU and would probably get the support of sufficient Labour arseholes.

ETA looks like last night’s late discussions with the DUP did not go well.  Today’s proposed cabinet meeting postponed.

Edited by Granny Danger