Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

1 hour ago, btb said:

I'd also suggest that the EU will go for any deal that's acceptable to the RoI

It's possible Johnson's offered a deal that's great for Ireland but not so great on protecting the single market. Another way of forcing concessions on the EU or putting the blame on them. 

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

It's possible Johnson's offered a deal that's great for Ireland but not so great on protecting the single market. Another way of forcing concessions on the EU or putting the blame on them. 

Talk is that they are trying to rebrand the NI only backstop as a single customs point agreement to technically argue that NI has also left the customs union and single market (which I don't actually think is the main issue - this can always be sorted with negotiations at the trade stage and bilateral agreement without it being an all or nothing thing whilst the customs problem is more problematic). It really just looks like May's deal but with some cosmetic changes to try and pretend the substance is different.

344-286 last time round and he's then lost a fair bit of his support. Unless there's anything actual substantive and he's willing to offer some of Labour's demands on the political deceleration, I don't really see how he can get anywhere.

I think this is probably just a case of wanting to try and get something in his own name voted on to take to voters. He needed something fresh though as his own press hammered May's deal so the attempt at a rebrand gives them the cover to spin some shite.

I've long thought that if the DUP dropped NO TO EVERYTHING! stance, or were overruled by a NI  referendum on the issue, it would not beyond the wit of man for a small region like NI to be simultaneously part of the EU and UK single markets, similar to Liechtenstein's relations with Switzerland and the EU. There might be the need to accept some leakage and fudging of the rules but I doubt the Polish/Ukraine arrangements are 100% secure, or Norway/Sweden.

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I've long thought that if the DUP dropped NO TO EVERYTHING! stance, or were overruled by a NI  referendum on the issue, it would not beyond the wit of man for a small region like NI to be simultaneously part of the EU and UK single markets, similar to Liechtenstein's relations with Switzerland and the EU. There might be the need to accept some leakage and fudging of the rules but I doubt the Polish/Ukraine arrangements are 100% secure, or Norway/Sweden.

If repeated opinion polls are correct, and the public have turned against Brexit, I don't think that all the maneuvoring and posturing about Ireland

is going to change minds.

37 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

...it would not beyond the wit of man for a small region like NI to be simultaneously part of the EU and UK single markets, similar to Liechtenstein's relations with Switzerland and the EU....

Not as easy as it sounds given the Swiss are part of the Schengen zone and in the EEA in all but name, while Boris and co don't want either of those things.

1 minute ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Not as easy as it sounds given the Swiss are part of the Schengen zone and in the EEA in all but name, while Boris and co don't want either of those things.

Wasn't claiming it was, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility for the Brexiteers being persuaded to revert to their pre-referendum positions of  Switzerland/Norway if it's either that or no Brexit from a referendum. They could be too far down the road of scorched earth nihilism though.

4 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Yesterday Boris Johnson said he wanted a deal and Steve Clarke said he wanted a result against Russia.

Life is full of unrealistic optimism.

Steve Clarke got a result against Russia. Just not the one he wanted. So, Boris might get a deal...

Talk is that they are trying to rebrand the NI only backstop as a single customs point agreement to technically argue that NI has also left the customs union and single market (which I don't actually think is the main issue - this can always be sorted with negotiations at the trade stage and bilateral agreement without it being an all or nothing thing whilst the customs problem is more problematic). It really just looks like May's deal but with some cosmetic changes to try and pretend the substance is different.
344-286 last time round and he's then lost a fair bit of his support. Unless there's anything actual substantive and he's willing to offer some of Labour's demands on the political deceleration, I don't really see how he can get anywhere.
I think this is probably just a case of wanting to try and get something in his own name voted on to take to voters. He needed something fresh though as his own press hammered May's deal so the attempt at a rebrand gives them the cover to spin some shite.

Any deal that effectively leaves NI in the CU and Scotland out is bad for Scotland.

Only morons can't see that.

13 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Any deal that effectively leaves NI in the CU and Scotland out is bad for Scotland.

Only morons can't see that.

If that’s what emerges I don’t see it getting through Parliament even with Labour lackey support.

The ERG have actively opposed this option before.  Mogg’s position will be interesting.

If that’s what emerges I don’t see it getting through Parliament even with Labour lackey support.
The ERG have actively opposed this option before.  Mogg’s position will be interesting.

Wee Norrie Lamont, the worst Chancellor in living memory, was on telly last night hinting that a deal, virtually any deal, will likely pass Parliament as all of us are now fed up and fatigued by Brexit.

Aye, right wee man.

18 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Wee Norrie Lamont, the worst Chancellor in living memory, was on telly last night hinting that a deal, virtually any deal, will likely pass Parliament as all of us are now fed up and fatigued by Brexit.

Aye, right wee man.

There was a poll released the other day that debunks the myth that people want the politicians “just to get on with Brexit”.

There's going to be a deal, I've always said that.
The EU wants and more importantly needs that 39 Billion as they head into a recession. 
Irelands economy is going to crash within the next few years.
It'salways boom and bust with Ireland. 
You really do know f**k all.

In the big picture £39 billion is a drop in the ocean.

This "they need us more than we need them" argument needs seriously challenged - a market of 60million is more than important than a market of 300+ million.

It's not rocket science to realise which one is more important.

The constant threat of No Deal as a negotiating weapon is flawed - it's playing Russian roulette with a gun with 6 bullets and we threaten shoot first - a threat where only we get seriously hurt.

You really do know f**k all.

In the big picture £39 billion is a drop in the ocean.

This "they need us more than we need them" argument needs seriously challenged - a market of 60million is more than important than a market of 300+ million.

It's not rocket science to realise which one is more important.

The constant threat of No Deal as a negotiating weapon is flawed - it's playing Russian roulette with a gun with 6 bullets and we threaten shoot first - a threat where only we get seriously hurt.

It’s more like playing chicken but driving a motor bike into a bus

The only possible way to win is to persuade your opponent that you’re genuinely crazy enough to stick yourself in intensive care and stick their bus in the garage.