Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

13 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

If you're old enough, you'll know that VHS was in no way* an upgrade on Betamax. Sony had by far the better system, and by far the poorer marketing campaign.

*Except choice of films to rent.

The best system was Philips V2000.

You could record on both sides of the tape. Unfortunately it never took off.

*That was thanks to the High St TV Rental outfits adopting VHS rather than Betamax. Way back then, people preferred to rent than buy.
I agree the Sony machines were superior but they were more expensive.

A lot of it had to do with Thorn EMI owning the majority of TV rental stores (who adopted VHS)& EMI (Music Division) not licensing a lot of their back catalogue to Betamax.

4 minutes ago, zidane's child said:

Ruth Davidson blaming MP's for voting down a deal 3 times.

It's always the fault of others with the Tories and they never accept they got a sh**e deal after nearly 3 years of negotiations.

The worst party by far blaming others is the snp.

This. The absolute peak, after years of ignoring domestic policy, of using Brexit as a smokescreen to dismantle our country and re-assemble in the interests of the Few. f**k alone knows what it will take to get the people out on the streets. And I mean all the people - think Paris but every fucking day.

Speaking as one of the many who hear occasional snippets then get bored of it all, it’ll take food and medicine shortages.

Another issue with being part of the UK is that even if I want to riot and batter some politicians, Westminster is so far away. I’d have to settle for Holyrood.

Also, be careful what you wish for. If the people (I mean the rest of the rabble, not the avid political types) take to the streets, then someone will be getting their windows put in.

34 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Speaking as one of the many who hear occasional snippets then get bored of it all, it’ll take food and medicine shortages.

Another issue with being part of the UK is that even if I want to riot and batter some politicians, Westminster is so far away. I’d have to settle for Holyrood.

Also, be careful what you wish for. If the people (I mean the rest of the rabble, not the avid political types) take to the streets, then someone will be getting their windows put in.

Absolutely. We won't get results with candlelit marches and a few choruses of "We Shall Overcome".

I spoke to a few Met coppers after the Tottenham riots in 2011. A couple of them told me they'd done what they could to nick somebody early doors, because:

1. The paperwork kept them away from the front line for a few hours.

2. Said front line was looking as far from being under control as they'd seen.

3.Had the rioters decided to turn their attention to the police more than flat-screens and trainers, an orderly retreat was the best option. An undignified rout was more likely.

4. Those who patrolled those streets in quiter times had seen something like this coming for a while, and

5. Frankly, they were not totally unsympathetic towards the rioters.

Fast forward eight years, and we have:

1. 20,000 fewer frontline officers.

2. A demoralised and undervalued Police Service.

3. An even more divided society where those at the bottom have been told in no uncertain terms that that's where they're staying, and no matter how hard they work, their lives won't improve.

4. A Criminal Justice system which cannot cope with those it looks after now, let alone the vast number of charges and sentences it would have to cope with in the event of concerted National indiscipline.

5. A lack of respect for the rule of law amongst those who are being lumped together in the lowest strt=ata of any social or economic grouping. Mainly because we now have the best justice system money can buy.

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

It hasn't happened for 25 years in Glasgow so it's not very likely at all.

...and again twenty years ago, and another unsuccessful attempt just this year. As I've stated elsewhere, I don't live in Scotland any more, but that took me a couple of mouse clicks. I wouldn't be surprised to find more.

Certainly more than I came across in decdes of attending "ordinary" football matches.

This from Tom Peck in The Independent sums it up: 

“I suppose the screenwriters of The Crown have had a good day, for when they finally get round to penning the landmark Brexit series, there will be Her Majesty, perched on a tartan chesterfield, fending off nervous enquiries from private secretaries about what her third born did or did not know about the untimely death of his convicted paedophile friend when in waltzes Jacob Rees-Mogg, opera coat flapping in the highland breeze, to let her know that, with regret, there’s going to have to be a civil war and could she just sign here.”

The suspension of parliamentary democracy, as the monarch signed off on this naked power grab by the reviled far right cabal masquerading as our government, represented by a pompous Latin-spouting Old Etonian in fancy dress, in the service of the smirking Old Etonian buffoon who is current squatting at No.10 and his unaccountable puppet-master Cummings, for whom ‘in-contempt-of-Parliament’ is both a fact and a raison d’etre, to facilitate a hard Brexit that almost no-one in Scotland wants. Yes, this happened at Balmoral. 

Royalty, the Conservative Party, Rees-****ing Mogg. Absurd anachronisms all, that have no place in modern Scotland. Time to end this charade.

2 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

...and again twenty years ago, and another unsuccessful attempt just this year. As I've stated elsewhere, I don't live in Scotland any more, but that took me a couple of mouse clicks. I wouldn't be surprised to find more.

Certainly more than I came across in decdes of attending "ordinary" football matches.

The guy who got stabbed this year in the Merchant City wasn't anything to do with football. 

I'm not sure what murder you are referring to 20 years ago. Mark Scott is the only victim who fits that bill I can think of.