Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

If this doesn't lead to a Tory wipeout in Scotland then we should be ashamed. Little Englander plan is obvious. Take UK out of EU, weather the storm in Scotland even if it loses all seats and project fear 2. Scotland would take years to get into EU type politicking...

It is absolutely staggering the number of people who approve of this, think we should just leave on 31st October and then on the 1st November everything will be back to normal and this whole matter will be behind us.

On 1st November we can round up all the immigants and drop them off in France.

On 1st November we can round up all the immigants and drop them off in France.

I am a bit worried about what will happen on the 1st Nov.

There will be plenty of the more rabid type leavers who look around, see everything is exactly the same because nothing has happened yet and it wouldn’t surprise me if they did start this kind of shit.

Amidst all today’s news the most important comment came in a brief piece from Katya Adler.

She (once again) debunked the myth that the EU will cave at the last moment, pointing out that past precedent of last minute concessions have only come when it was in the EU’s long term interest.  Removing the backstop and letting Johnson ‘win’ on British withdrawal is certainly not in the EU’s interest.

If anything, this latest stunt of Johnson’s makes it less likely the EU will cave. Proroguing parliament (in this case) is crossing over into fascist leader territory and I think that the days of appeasing facist leaders in the EU are probably behind us.

2 hours ago, Fullerene said:

It is absolutely staggering the number of people who approve of this, think we should just leave on 31st October and then on the 1st November everything will be back to normal and this whole matter will be behind us.

The EU have said that in the event of a No Deal Brexit three things would need to be sorted BEFORE any trade talks started.

The Irish border issue, a commitment to pay the ‘divorce bill’ and protection of the rights of EU citizens living in the U.K.

Better get stocked up on the tinned foods!!!

2 hours ago, Jambomo said:

If anything, this latest stunt of Johnson’s makes it less likely the EU will cave. Proroguing parliament (in this case) is crossing over into fascist leader territory and I think that the days of appeasing facist leaders in the EU are probably behind us.

It's strangely fitting that this latest attempt to "take back control" and reclaim UK Parliamentary Sovereignty has been noted across the channel -

Why report on this when you can have the HM for the 18th century on for an interview?

3 hours ago, Fullerene said:

A member of our Union Branch Committee - and an ex-miner who lived through the strike - believes trade will carry on as normal, that we won't notice any difference. I'm mostly aligned with this chap politically, but I despair at his unwillingness to admit, even now, that the sunlit uplands may not exist. Not just a blind optimism, but an absolute refusal to see any negatives as anything other than "project fear".

17 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

A right wing coup by a cabal acting at the behest of tax-dodging billionaires. An utter disgrace.

Irrespective of anyone's views on Brexit this is very dangerous.

This. The absolute peak, after years of ignoring domestic policy, of using Brexit as a smokescreen to dismantle our country and re-assemble in the interests of the Few. f**k alone knows what it will take to get the people out on the streets. And I mean all the people - think Paris but every fucking day.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

The Irish border issue

The Irish border issue solves itself in the event of No Deal. 

Either the EU install a border which means we can have a hard border or the EU leaves the border open which means the UK government plan is acceptable. 

Tories out in force this morning with the "Those who said they were against proroguing Parliament were talking about if it was suspended until 31st October" line to cover the fact multiple Cabinet members including Johnson himself said it wouldn't happen.

As if it makes any fucking difference.

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

Tories out in force this morning with the "Those who said they were against proroguing Parliament were talking about if it was suspended until 31st October" line to cover the fact multiple Cabinet members including Johnson himself said it wouldn't happen.

As if it makes any fucking difference.

Are you in any way surprised? They don't give a f**k what they lie about because they are never held accountable.

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

TBF, I'm surprised they bothered answering the question.

I thought they'd just ignore it.

True. Although if it was the same thing I heard it was an ex Tory MP, as no one from the Tories have come out of their bunker as yet having worn out the "Interview declined" auto reply on their email.

10 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Either the EU install a border which means we can have a hard border or the EU leaves the border open which means the UK government plan is acceptable. 

Can I take it that for you, the Troubles are mostly theoretical, something you've read about that happened in the land of Ago?

9 minutes ago, Detournement said:

EU won't put in a border.  UK government will end up putting the border in the Irish Sea, they won't really give a stuff about the DUP once a GE is called and the combined Tory/Brexit Party coalition rides in.

Just now, Rugster said:

True. Although if it was the same thing I heard it was an ex Tory MP, as no one from the Tories have come out of their bunker as yet having worn out the "Interview declined" auto reply on their email.

There have been 3 or 4 on GMS, although as you say all "activists" and "commentators", since the MPs and MSPs all seem to have disappeared.