Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

9 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Anyone who thinks that Boris Bunter can come up with a practical and acceptable alternative to the backstop in 30 days should seek psychiatric help.

Johnson had 30 days to find an alternative to the backstop at the start of the day. He still does. The difference is, the Brexiters themselves now feel responsible for coming up with a solution that doesn't exist. Masterful politics from Merkel.

14 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

'No deal' is of course, a misnomer. It's simply that our trade with the EU would then be governed by WTO rules until we have a trade agreement in place. 

Like most things in politics, any effect will be gradual and long-term, probably to the point that most people will notice no difference at all in their day to day lives. Prices will inevitably creep up, but as ever the British public will accept whatever shit is thrown at them without any real complaint. 

Cars will still run, planes will still fly, people will still go abroad, and there will still be Asian faces on the streets and foreign accents working in bars and cafés.

What worries me the most....terrifies me in fact....is the long term effect of the UK accepting the most far-right government in our history. Decisions made now (or are in the planning) from what is effectively a UKIP government could well have devastating consequences for the fabric of UK society. 

Quite incredible that no one has picked up on the complete stupidity of this post. We're just over two months away from crashing out without a deal, which would be an absolute disaster (we'd instantly become the only country in the world which does not have a trade deal with any other country) and you're still preferring to play politics. Now, I'm not disagreeing with you that our current government are not the best people to run the UK, but the immediate priority has to be stopping Brexit or at least making sure we leave with a deal. A right wing government but in the EU is preferable to a more leftist government outside the EU right now and no deal will be a complete disaster regardless of who is in number 10.

Nick Bowles saying he won’t vote against the government in a confidence vote.  Labour’s VoC looking like it might not get the numbers.

Johnson must be shitting himself at the possibility of no one letting him off the hook.

Corbyn is desperate for a GE but if he cannot defeat Johnson in a confidence vote he must play it really, really clever.

If we do leave without a deal then Labour would be better stopping a GE in the short-term, which they can do due to the FTPA, and allowing the chaos to ensue for a couple of months.

An immediate election would play into Johnson’s hands.

FWIW I am still convinced that we will not leave without a deal; Johnson is a buffoon but he understands what would happen if we do.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Nick Bowles saying he won’t vote against the government in a confidence vote.  Labour’s VoC looking like it might not get the numbers.

Johnson must be shitting himself at the possibility of no one letting him off the hook.

Corbyn is desperate for a GE but if he cannot defeat Johnson in a confidence vote he must play it really, really clever.

If we do leave without a deal then Labour would be better stopping a GE in the short-term, which they can do due to the FTPA, and allowing the chaos to ensue for a couple of months.

An immediate election would play into Johnson’s hands.

FWIW I am still convinced that we will not leave without a deal; Johnson is a buffoon but he understands what would happen if we do.

Boles will be sh**ting himself at the thought of an early GE, given he's an independent MP now.

His constituency is a safe Tory seat all day.

On 21/08/2019 at 20:47, Granny Danger said:

Anyone who thinks that Boris Bunter can come up with a practical and acceptable alternative to the backstop in 30 days should seek psychiatric help.

I have this image of Johnson going around saying "30 days to solve the backstop" with some aide tapping on him on the shoulder saying "actually sir, it is now only 28 days".

I cannot see any reporting by the MSM of the impact of a No Deal Brexit on 31 October on Gibraltar.  I imagine that it could be quite serious.
Maybe it’s time to hand it over to the Spanish.  :rolleyes:

If it’s up for sale maybe someone should inform trump

I've been thinking about how Johnson can square the circle of the backstop, and believing as I do that he and his Cabinet have absolutely no intention of a No Deal outcome, then the backstop will be privately accepted but presented in public as some sort of 'unique and historic accord'.

That certainly won't be enough to placate the DUP but the calculus will be that the vast majority of those who voted for Brexit care much more for exiting the EU than the affairs of the Irish. And if he pulls off this trick then he will have little need of DUP votes in any future elections.

Having said that, I hope he crashes and burns spectacularly.