Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

On 19/08/2019 at 18:41, Granny Danger said:

Johnson being quoted in multiple sources that he is confident that the EU is about to change its position on the backstop.

I have seen no indication of this from anywhere; has anyone else?

The problem is these Brussels Bureaucrats  aren't playing ball. Don't they remember who won the fucking war? If they don't give in we don't have any choice but to leave with no deal.

How many of us are genuinely worried about what is going to happen if we crash out with out a deal? We are hearing stories about supply issues with food and fuel.
I have a feeling we could see a cross between the fuel blockade a few years ago when the petrol station ran out and the ‘Beast from the East’ when the supermarket shelves were almost emptied.
When you see how the public have previously reacted with panic buying at these times it doesn’t fill me with much hope.
Time to oil my bike chain and get out picking brambles!!!!
A bit yes, but you can only really worry about what you can influence, and in that regard as a Remain voter my conscience is absolutely clear.

This Anglocentric mental breakdown will of course affect every one of us but there's a bit of me who now dares Johnson & Co to do their worst, safe in the knowledge that the rabid English press and public will simply not be able to cope with the disastrous fallout.

I also remain hopeful that when the dust finally settles that there may still be a way back into the EU.

A bit yes, but you can only really worry about what you can influence, and in that regard as a Remain voter my conscience is absolutely clear.

This Anglocentric mental breakdown will of course affect every one of us but there's a bit of me who now dares Johnson & Co to do their worst, safe in the knowledge that the rabid English press and public will simply not be able to cope with the disastrous fallout.

I also remain hopeful that when the dust finally settles that there may still be a way back into the EU.
I am beginning to agree that maybe we need to crash that bus off the cliff with Boris at the wheel. Finally no argument about the chaotic consequences of No Deal and no where to hide.
If it leads to the public denied their KFC etc and markedly short of the "Bulldog spirit" required to get through the mess savaging the Brexiteers it's tempting. I doubt Capt Boris Manwaring's popularity will hold up long if we have to grow our own ciabatta or quinoa..

49 minutes ago, Loondave1 said:

I am beginning to agree that maybe we need to crash that bus off the cliff with Boris at the wheel. Finally no argument about the chaotic consequences of No Deal and no where to hide.
If it leads to the public denied their KFC etc and markedly short of the "Bulldog spirit" required to get through the mess savaging the Brexiteers it's tempting. I doubt Capt Boris Manwaring's popularity will hold up long if we have to grow our own ciabatta or quinoa..

There is, I must admit, a part of me that wants to see the reaction of a few different groups:

1. Farmers - already hurting, yet still can't call this shitshow for what it is.

2. Fishermen. A massively important strand of the "taking back control" argument, in order to protect - wait for it - 0.12% of GDP. Yep, less than one half of one quarter of one percent of the economy. And most of that is represented by UK-flagged but foreign owned larger ships, with 77% of the UK fleet (the wee, <10m boats) representing just 3% of the already small amount.

3. Wetherspoon customers. Ideally a vast congregation of them assembled on Salisbury Plain or some other quintessentially English location, all following their huge-headed leader as he raises a glass of Bolivian "Champagne-style drink" in a hommage  to Jonestown.

4. Every single WC Tory in the country. Round the fuckers up and show them live feeds of unrest on the streets, bare shelves in the shops, sick people untreated in hospital corridors, and cars abandoned fuel-less up and down the road network, while asking them, "At least we got control back, eh? That showed them, eh?". There will be a certain satisfaction in pointing out that, while they have their blue passports back, a combination of the Pound being fucked and new Government policies making job security, a living wage and actual paid time off things of the past mean they can't afford a day out in Scarborough, let alone a fortnight in Majorca.

5. Every writer who has lied, twisted and distorted the truth in the Press over the last ten years. And no, there's no amnesty for th ones who claim they're trying to ofer an alternative voice. Like following the OF, being involved in anyway with the Mail/Express/Murdoch press is complicit in the enterprise and shares the guilt. There is one actual journalist who, while being a bit of a wrong 'un, is resident in this country  - unfortunately, the UK is on the verge of serving young Assange up to their masters across the pond. Other than that, we've got little to sustain us, just Owen Jones, Kevin Maguire, K-A Mendoza, Steve Walker and other "fringe" sources on SM.

6. Getting her own heading, Laura fúcking Kunsberg. Any journalist (here we go again) with an ounce of integrity would, when caught with that "copy and paste" interview with Corbyn, have fúcked off and kept their head down in shame for a while. This mouthpiece? Not so much.

I really am beginning to see it as an opportunity. The only drawback is the poor will be the main losers on a day to day pay your bills level. My one hope is that the EU don't give the fat arsehole an inch or it will be like Boris's Falklands moment with the eulogising that follows cementing him in No10 for a time.

There is, I must admit, a part of me that wants to see the reaction of a few different groups:
1. Farmers - already hurting, yet still can't call this shitshow for what it is.
2. Fishermen. A massively important strand of the "taking back control" argument, in order to protect - wait for it - 0.12% of GDP. Yep, less than one half of one quarter of one percent of the economy. And most of that is represented by UK-flagged but foreign owned larger ships, with 77% of the UK fleet (the wee, 3. Wetherspoon customers. Ideally a vast congregation of them assembled on Salisbury Plain or some other quintessentially English location, all following their huge-headed leader as he raises a glass of Bolivian "Champagne-style drink" in a hommage  to Jonestown.
4. Every single WC Tory in the country. Round the fuckers up and show them live feeds of unrest on the streets, bare shelves in the shops, sick people untreated in hospital corridors, and cars abandoned fuel-less up and down the road network, while asking them, "At least we got control back, eh? That showed them, eh?". There will be a certain satisfaction in pointing out that, while they have their blue passports back, a combination of the Pound being fucked and new Government policies making job security, a living wage and actual paid time off things of the past mean they can't afford a day out in Scarborough, let alone a fortnight in Majorca.
5. Every writer who has lied, twisted and distorted the truth in the Press over the last ten years. And no, there's no amnesty for th ones who claim they're trying to ofer an alternative voice. Like following the OF, being involved in anyway with the Mail/Express/Murdoch press is complicit in the enterprise and shares the guilt. There is one actual journalist who, while being a bit of a wrong 'un, is resident in this country  - unfortunately, the UK is on the verge of serving young Assange up to their masters across the pond. Other than that, we've got little to sustain us, just Owen Jones, Kevin Maguire, K-A Mendoza, Steve Walker and other "fringe" sources on SM.
6. Getting her own heading, Laura fúcking Kunsberg. Any journalist (here we go again) with an ounce of integrity would, when caught with that "copy and paste" interview with Corbyn, have fúcked off and kept their head down in shame for a while. This mouthpiece? Not so much.

13 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

What was the copy and paste interview?

It was back when the Corbyn accusation du jour was still overwhelmingly "terrorist sympathiser". Kunsberg had the interview chopped up so that Corbyn's answers did not actually match up to the questions asked. Sneaky, underhand, and perhaps the point where suspicions about the BBC's impartiality started to reach beyond the tinfoil-hat brigade.

7 minutes ago, Loondave1 said:

I really am beginning to see it as an opportunity. The only drawback is the poor will be the main losers on a day to day pay your bills level. My one hope is that the EU don't give the fat arsehole an inch or it will be like Boris's Falklands moment with the eulogising that follows cementing him in No10 for a time.

The only posible escape route/opportunity for me lies in the combination of my impending pension maturity and the hope of Scottish Independence. This shit gets real, and I'm coming home - Mrs WRK can come or not, but two of the rosettes are agreed that the best thing about Dad is his potential to help them keep EU Citizenship!

I don't think of us as poor, but we certainly don't have the diposable we had at the start of this Tory shitshow. I'd just have to hope we could get rid of our house before the arse falls out of the property market.

Edited by WhiteRoseKillie

Guest Bob Mahelp
11 hours ago, Dunfermline Don said:

How many of us are genuinely worried about what is going to happen if we crash out with out a deal? We are hearing stories about supply issues with food and fuel.
I have a feeling we could see a cross between the fuel blockade a few years ago when the petrol station ran out and the ‘Beast from the East’ when the supermarket shelves were almost emptied.
When you see how the public have previously reacted with panic buying at these times it doesn’t fill me with much hope.

'No deal' is of course, a misnomer. It's simply that our trade with the EU would then be governed by WTO rules until we have a trade agreement in place. 

Like most things in politics, any effect will be gradual and long-term, probably to the point that most people will notice no difference at all in their day to day lives. Prices will inevitably creep up, but as ever the British public will accept whatever shit is thrown at them without any real complaint. 

Cars will still run, planes will still fly, people will still go abroad, and there will still be Asian faces on the streets and foreign accents working in bars and cafés.

What worries me the most....terrifies me in fact....is the long term effect of the UK accepting the most far-right government in our history. Decisions made now (or are in the planning) from what is effectively a UKIP government could well have devastating consequences for the fabric of UK society. 

27 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

What was the copy and paste interview?

Assume he means this. Was thinking an editor would be responsible but looks like it was directly down to her. Very naughty.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/jan/18/bbc-trust-says-laura-kuenssberg-report-on-jeremy-corbyn-was-inaccurate-labour

As ever it takes a football manager to get to the heart of the matter - time to take back control...

EU to blame for football's new handball rule, claims Ian Holloway

• Holloway says people are ‘telling us how to do our own game’
  • Former QPR manager believes Brexit will ‘sort that out’

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/aug/21/eu-to-blame-football-new-handball-rule-ian-holloway

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Assume he means this. Was thinking an editor would be responsible but looks like it was directly down to her. Very naughty.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/jan/18/bbc-trust-says-laura-kuenssberg-report-on-jeremy-corbyn-was-inaccurate-labour

Assuming that's the one I mean, thanks mate. I can't access any multimedia stuff from work, so thanks for posting it.

3 minutes ago, btb said:

As ever it takes a football manager to get to the heart of the matter - time to take back control...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/aug/21/eu-to-blame-football-new-handball-rule-ian-holloway

Aye, and send back all those pesky foreign players! Back to route one hoofball, traditional rattles, and laces in the ball!

What. A. Fucking.. Bellend.

And yet, in these Looking Glass times, his opinion is repeated across the press as something worth taking notice of.

11 hours ago, Dunfermline Don said:

What am I going to do with a bloody unicorn?  Where am I going to keep it?  That pointy horn looks pretty scary to me.

I suspect that in November a lot of people will be saying "This isn't the Brexit we were promised".

14 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

What am I going to do with a bloody unicorn?  Where am I going to keep it?  That pointy horn looks pretty scary to me.

I suspect that in November a lot of people will be saying "This isn't the Brexit we were promised".

And they'll vote Farage.

45 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

31 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

And they'll vote Farage.

Which, on the surface, would be fine as karma comes along and rips them a new one. Unfortunately, they're bringing the rest of us (and our kids/grandkids) with them. The irony in this whole clusterfúck is the anti-immigration vote which is going to result in more (a lot more) of the "wrong type" of immigrants.