Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

35 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Johnson being quoted in multiple sources that he is confident that the EU is about to change its position on the backstop.

I have seen no indication of this from anywhere; has anyone else?

I don't know.  Maybe he is confident.  Still doesn't mean it is going to happen.

46 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Johnson being quoted in multiple sources that he is confident that the EU is about to change its position on the backstop.

10 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

I don't know.  Maybe he is confident.  Still doesn't mean it is going to happen.

giphy.gif.a66d2600ebdb1e9c33fd7eb53ae8a2f4.gif

59 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

What sources?

Assuming they are going to look after the interests of one of their members there's no way they can change their position on the backstop.

I've long thought that they'll fudge the wording on the backstop so May/Johnson can declare a big victory and the WA will pass, with or without the DUP. The EU would have no choice but to force border checks on Ireland if there's a no deal Brexit, which they seriously want to avoid, never mind the German economy having enough problems at the moment.

I've just watched three farmers on the BBC Breakfast Show politely outline the problems they anticipate Brexit, and especially a No Deal, will bring to their industry.

But not one of them could bring themselves to criticise the Tory politicians whose policies are now threatening their livelihoods. You reap what you sow indeed.

The eu were meant to come crawling to Blighty according to Boris

Boris crawling to the EU about the Irish backstop is passed off by the media as Johnson giving the EU his list of demands.

Scenes if he tries to pass May’s deal again.

Diane Abbott in sensible comment shock.....

17 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I've long thought that they'll fudge the wording on the backstop so May/Johnson can declare a big victory and the WA will pass, with or without the DUP. The EU would have no choice but to force border checks on Ireland if there's a no deal Brexit, which they seriously want to avoid, never mind the German economy having enough problems at the moment.

You also thought that May would get her agreement through Parliament every time alongside 17,000 other shit hot takes on this thread, so I think we can safely file this one in the bin as well. 

16 minutes ago, virginton said:

You also thought that May would get her agreement through Parliament every time alongside 17,000 other shit hot takes on this thread, so I think we can safely file this one in the bin as well. 

You forgot.....   "... champ...".

1 hour ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Boris is playing to the gallery here. Doing his bit talking up a no deal and saying that he will only negotiate when the backstop is removed.

No deal will be opposed by the HoC and the EU have been clear that the backstop is staying put no matter what.

12 minutes ago, zidane's child said:

Boris is playing to the gallery here. Doing his bit talking up a no deal and saying that he will only negotiate when the backstop is removed.

No deal will be opposed by the HoC and the EU have been clear that the backstop is staying put no matter what.

The process of stopping a No Deal will be far from straightforward - especially when you consider the number of idiots who currently populate much of the HoC. 

See here :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48519746

The process of halting Johnson's No-Deal - and let's be honest, that is his plan A - may well be tortuous, but where there's a will, there's a way.

There already appear to be a considerable number of Tories circling arounf the idea of getting behind some kind of "Collaborators with Hammond" banner. Corbyn and the vast majority of the Labour Party are already there. Even Swinson has realised what a vainglorious fúck-up she made last week and is trying to get back in with the cool kids.

Can Johnson even rely on the Dinosaur-deniers? I'd suggest not, as Foster and her crew must be getting pissed off with the fact that Johnson doesn't understand the Irish issue, cares less, and isn't bothered who knows it.

We've become accustomed to the idea that turkeys don't vote for Christmas - this is true, but even Tories who see a career in front of them will know that if they don't have a few more facets to their Establishment Safety Net then being held reponsible for what's coming over the hill will torpedo their futures. If even part of what's in the Yellowhammer document seen at the weekend comes to pass, anyone seen as not doing their utmost to avoid the sitution will be pretty short of friends.

TL:DR - Johnson sets an impossible red line, Tusk says "fúck off, fatty", UK Government gradually realises how fucking stupid the giant baby in the big chair actually is.

While I appreciate the laudable intentions with which the backstop was designed, by removing control of such large areas of the commercial and economic life of Northern Ireland to an external body over which the people of Northern Ireland have no democratic control, this balance risks being undermined.

Boris touching on the elephant in the room concerning the back stop.

It's not feasible for Northern Ireland to have no democratic oversight of so many laws.

Edited by Detournement

How many of us are genuinely worried about what is going to happen if we crash out with out a deal? We are hearing stories about supply issues with food and fuel.
I have a feeling we could see a cross between the fuel blockade a few years ago when the petrol station ran out and the ‘Beast from the East’ when the supermarket shelves were almost emptied.
When you see how the public have previously reacted with panic buying at these times it doesn’t fill me with much hope.
Time to oil my bike chain and get out picking brambles!!!!