Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

9 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

There's been plenty of polls to suggest Boris will pick up votes from disaffected traditional labour voters. Whether they are properly constructed or not I don't know, but I do know that many polls in recent years have been spectacularly wrong. You do have to go with gut feelings on occasions and mine is, thanks to people I speak to around here, that Boris would wipe out Jezza in a GE - that is, if he calls one soon after becoming PM.  If he delays on calling an election he would probably lose - it won't take the country long to realise that a hard Brexit will prove to be a catastrophic mistake.

https://www.thevoicefm.co.uk/news/politics/poll-boost-for-boris-johnson-but-he-wont-turn-up-to-first-tv-debate/

I can't help thinking the Tories are in for a massive shock when they put Johnson (as he should be referred to) in front of the electorate as PM. His shocking approval ratings in London should be a massive red flag that it looks like they will ignore.

16 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

I can't help thinking the Tories are in for a massive shock when they put Johnson (as he should be referred to) in front of the electorate as PM. His shocking approval ratings in London should be a massive red flag that it looks like they will ignore.

There is some kind of weird timing issue going on here. In so many circles - both labour and conservative, that Boris is the great white hope that can get us (when I say us, I mean England) out of this mess. 

One of the smartest moves in his leadership campaign has been to avoid giving interviews and also this C4 debate. His team have clearly sussed that the less he opens his mouth the better his chances of leadership are.

How far can he go using this approach? Possibly far enough to see him installed as PM, but I can't see him lasting long in a position where he will have to make some speeches and take some decisions. He'll soon be found wanting - very wanting.

There is some kind of weird timing issue going on here. In so many circles - both labour and conservative, that Boris is the great white hope that can get us (when I say us, I mean England) out of this mess. 
One of the smartest moves in his leadership campaign has been to avoid giving interviews and also this C4 debate. His team have clearly sussed that the less he opens his mouth the better his chances of leadership are.
How far can he go using this approach? Possibly far enough to see him installed as PM, but I can't see him lasting long in a position where he will have to make some speeches and take some decisions. He'll soon be found wanting - very wanting.
I know, and it will be hilarious. If polls for Scottish independence don't jump to at least 55% when Johnson is crowned then we might as well pack our bags and switch the lights off.

I know, and it will be hilarious. If polls for Scottish independence don't jump to at least 55% when Johnson is crowned then we might as well pack our bags and switch the lights off.
They may well do but for many, many Scottish voters there is still a great fear of the uncertainty that independence represents. I don't share it but I'm merely pointing out that the bedridden patient rarely kicks out at the nurse.
What I DO think may swing the pendulum is when a British Nationalist Government led by Johnson or whoever begins to reverse the devolution process by imposing direct rule from Westminster.

5 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

What I DO think may swing the pendulum is when a British Nationalist Government led by Johnson or whoever begins to reverse the devolution process by imposing direct rule from Westminster.

Has this not already started with Davidson suggesting more project finance for Scotland should come directly from Westminster? I think Tomkins is also starting to undermine the importance of Holyrood. 

I think devolution is going to come under intense pressure from definitely Tory, possibly Labour, quite soon.

Guest Bob Mahelp
15 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Sadly, I think you're wrong. 

The vast, vast majority of those who are opposed to independence will never change their minds regardless of anything the Tories throw at Scotland. They could abolish Holyrood tomorrow and still support for independence wouldn't get above 50%.

You don’t try to kill devolution by abolishing the Scottish Parliament.  

You continue to starve it of resources whilst demographic changes apply more pressure to it whilst, with the help of the MSM, blaming the consequences on the SNP.

57 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I got one of those too, was thinking what on earth was it for, as we're not in an election campaign

It's Coburn's job application to Farage, he'll be off the Euro gravy train on July 2nd if he isn't already.

22 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

And who's paying for them?

The Europe of Freedom and Direct Democracy group in the EU Parliament, which at present includes the Brexit Party, the 5* Clown Party from Italy and a Hippy party from Croatia. They don't have enough members to be recognised as a formal group, so they can't do much.