Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Good Newsnight piece this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuBLnXQcaR

Now a rather incoherent rant on the piece:

I'm in total agreement with Diane Coyle and others, and I've banged on about it in this subforum before. The driving issue behind the Brexit vote wasn't racism or Little Englanders, the issue was decades worth of neglect |(some deliberate and some not) by successive governments and all three main political parties.  It's the same core reasons as why Trump was elected, and just pointing at a vocal - yet sizeable - minority and saying "racists, you're all racists!" (even if it is justified) misses the key point. A large portion of the mainstream media (mostly in the written press) has failed to hold governments to account over scandalous policy failures. Even if the scaling down of employment in UK industry and manufacturing was inevitable, the failure was in not replacing these jobs or helping rebuild communities that were impacted. Wage growth was been dreadful since the 1970s, and most of the "lifestyle improvements" are from cheap credit.

The whole economic and political model of the UK is geared towards London and the SE - it brings in massive amounts of tax from the financial sector, and it's a self-reinforcing cycle of prioritising that area because of what it brings in.  The Labour party are marketing themselves as some alternative yet their flagship policies appear to be re-nationalisation. Who cares? Re-nationalising the railways is fundamentally aimed at people in that London/SE area. Go ask people in the rest of the UK what they see as priorities and a tiny minority might have the railways in their top five.

The majority of arguments we hear about immigration are all based in the failures of successive governments. Low wages, lack of decent jobs, and stretched public services are all down to failures at Westminster.

31 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I can't really see them doing that well other than in PR votes.

I think it's really difficult for anyone to break through with FPTP but I just think if anybody were to break the system, they probably have the best chance of doing it. 

I just worry a bit about Brexit being impossible to shut off. However we settle it, it'll be so easy to spin it as some betrayal and you could easily see the narrative of people thinking that 'it wasn't done right' as a way to explain the economic consequences and the answer to be more Brexit. It's really hard to predict politics in a few years but I think that 2022 (if it's as late as that) will see the electoral map shake up in a way that it never has done before.

17 hours ago, CaspianChris said:

With the EU elections approaching of received this useless leaflet today.  I have only just read it and will not be vote for this monstrosity of a party.

Has anyone else received Brexit party leaflets yet?

20190508_232034_Richtone(HDR).jpg

I got it today but it was only addressed to me rather than occupier, and the absence of one for the good lady suggests  a degree of misogyny.  I suspect they could get the same 10% vote as UKIP did last time in Scotland but at least Coburn has lost his place.

The Brexit party vote will dilute the Tory vote in Jockoland.Rooth might have to go full "out" to keep the loons onside

Ooooft, Roooooth full out, has just brought a little bit of sick into my mouth! Unlikely to feature in the Milf thread in the near future IMVHO, savage Tory bitch that she is.

6 hours ago, yoda said:

Good Newsnight piece this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuBLnXQcaR

Now a rather incoherent rant on the piece:

I'm in total agreement with Diane Coyle and others, and I've banged on about it in this subforum before. The driving issue behind the Brexit vote wasn't racism or Little Englanders, the issue was decades worth of neglect |(some deliberate and some not) by successive governments and all three main political parties.  It's the same core reasons as why Trump was elected, and just pointing at a vocal - yet sizeable - minority and saying "racists, you're all racists!" (even if it is justified) misses the key point. A large portion of the mainstream media (mostly in the written press) has failed to hold governments to account over scandalous policy failures. Even if the scaling down of employment in UK industry and manufacturing was inevitable, the failure was in not replacing these jobs or helping rebuild communities that were impacted. Wage growth was been dreadful since the 1970s, and most of the "lifestyle improvements" are from cheap credit.

The whole economic and political model of the UK is geared towards London and the SE - it brings in massive amounts of tax from the financial sector, and it's a self-reinforcing cycle of prioritising that area because of what it brings in.  The Labour party are marketing themselves as some alternative yet their flagship policies appear to be re-nationalisation. Who cares? Re-nationalising the railways is fundamentally aimed at people in that London/SE area. Go ask people in the rest of the UK what they see as priorities and a tiny minority might have the railways in their top five.

The majority of arguments we hear about immigration are all based in the failures of successive governments. Low wages, lack of decent jobs, and stretched public services are all down to failures at Westminster.

Who are the "main" parties?

I think you are missing something to do with leadership and perhaps that partly explains the difference between Scotland and others.

There weren't many in Scotland, that held themselves with any credibility, that advocated for leave. The story in England was a different one and if in a democracy you get the leaders you deserve, maybe they did. In short, English exceptionalism.

Just got my postal vote and noticed that The Brexit party missed a trick by not naming themselves Brexit Party.

They'd have been top of the list instead of Change UK. Could have scooped the lazy and stupid vote who only bothered to read the first line. 

I should be their campaign manager.

PS. Who is Gordon Edgar (independent) I'm guessing loony but I don't know for sure. Also Ken Parke.

Edited by Suspect Device

2 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Just got my postal vote and noticed that The Brexit party missed a trick by not naming themselves Brexit Party.

They'd have been top of the list instead of Change UK. Could have scooped the lazy and stupid vote who only bothered to read the first line. 

PS. Who is Gordon Edgar (independent) I'm guessing loony but I don't know for sure.

^^^^ Gordon Edgar

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

^^^^ Gordon Edgar

I checked and he's a 71 year old councillor from the borders, so not me. I'm 20 years younger and miles away.

ETa. And are calling me a loony?

Edited by Suspect Device

4 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

PS. Who is Gordon Edgar (independent) I'm guessing loony but I don't know for sure. Also Ken Parke.

We should start spreading around that "The" is ironic like "The Rangers", and that Change UK are the real brexit party.

3 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

I checked and he's a 71 year old councillor from the borders, so not me. I'm 20 years younger and miles away.

ETa. And are calling me a loony?

No Gordon, I’m using your own words.

1 hour ago, Suspect Device said:

Div ye?

With the EU elections approaching of received this useless leaflet today.  I have only just read it and will not be vote for this monstrosity of a party.

20190508_232034_Richtone(HDR).thumb.jpg.88ba630181a5b71adf260f5f0daf12de.jpg
For a party that is supposedly backed by serious money it looked like it had been produced by a bunch of school kids.

12 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
On 08/05/2019 at 23:33, CaspianChris said:

For a party that is supposedly backed by serious money it looked like it had been produced by a bunch of school kids.

Shirley that's their schtick.

Fooling the hard of thinking that answers are easy.

8 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
On 08/05/2019 at 23:33, CaspianChris said:

I disagree.  It’s making a simple point and will work on the people it’s aimed at.

It is unbelievable that May is trying to use Farrage to force support for her deal amongst her own MPs.  It shows how badly she and her advisers are reading the situation.

Edited by Granny Danger

On 11/05/2019 at 07:15, Granny Danger said:

I disagree.  It’s making a simple point and will work on the people it’s aimed at.

It is unbelievable that May is trying to use Farrage to force support for her deal amongst her own MPs.  It shows how badly she and her advisers are reading the situation.

Too right, Farage & Co haven't even started yet, if May's deal or NO deal doesn't happen soon both the main parties are getting splattered, happy days.