Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

We voted to stay in the common market. When did we vote to join the EU?
Our elected representatives approved the various treaty changes, it's the way democracy works in the UK. Referendums have been a disastrous whacky experiment.

18 minutes ago, kirkyblue2 said:

I didn't say we did. 

we did though, through representative democracy not mandating an anti EU manifesto at any time. 

My point was that if a referendum is binding in perpetuity then we have elected through referenda in to a customs union and single market but out of freedom of movement and having a vote.  There is only one logical possibility to reconcile the two. 

If referenda aren't binding in perpetuity then the leave means leave crew can shut up. 

Uncharacteristically for leave supporters they seem to believe in having their cake and eating it. 

Leadsom is the textbook example of the Dunning-Kruger effect.
Googled that and it's a perfect description.

I remember people looking into her banking background before and finding that the titles she was giving herself were false and her authority was nowhere near what it was stated. Her family were very well powerful and got her jobs after struggling on her degree and they then donated huge amounts of money to get herself selected as an MP.

Her biggest strength is that she's that thick that she's managed to blunder herself up the ladder in politics by being so sure of herself. People like Boris and Farage are opportunistic and know when they are bullshitting but it's unreal how detached from reality she is when she tries to speak about even very simple concepts.

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Opening move in leadership campaign.

Oh I agree, an obvious attempt at trying to win the support of the Tory faithful.

But she has more than one audience and whilst the one she cares about will like it serious politicians and commentators will realise how vacuous a statement it is.

2 hours ago, harry94 said:

Googled that and it's a perfect description.

I remember people looking into her banking background before and finding that the titles she was giving herself were false and her authority was nowhere near what it was stated. Her family were very well powerful and got her jobs after struggling on her degree and they then donated huge amounts of money to get herself selected as an MP.

Her biggest strength is that she's that thick that she's managed to blunder herself up the ladder in politics by being so sure of herself. People like Boris and Farage are opportunistic and know when they are bullshitting but it's unreal how detached from reality she is when she tries to speak about even very simple concepts.

Jim Cornette, the wrestling manager, talks about how one of the bosses once said to him "I used to think you were a dumb f**k, but so many other dumb fucks have come along you've moved up the ladder without doing anything".

To me, this sums up both of the major parties at the moment.

57 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

That's a dreadful overly aggressive interview.

Peston made that all about himself when he should have STFU and let Boris have the time to hang himself by his own rope.

Nobody cares about what Peston has to say, we need to be hearing whether Johnson has any substance or not because this guy could be the next PM.

It wasn't aggressive at all. Far to long, the likes of Boris have been allowed to say factually incorrect nonsense and present it unchallenged in the media. To those that want to believe in what he says, they will never fact-check themselves, thus he can never be hung on his own rope as you put it.  This is pretty much one of the reasons  brexit has got to such a point.

I applaud Peston for actually calling out the inaccuracies in what Boris was saying and showing Boris's complete lack of understanding of the issue he's trying to speak about with authority.  I wish more people were doing that on all sides.

6 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Leadsom asked what she hoped May would get out of her discussion with Merkel.  “I hope she agrees to reopen the Withdrawal Agreement”.

The woman’s a fucking zoomer.

This is the equivalent of saying "I hope she (Merkel) offers us something super-yummy".

At some point, the Brexiteers need to put some meat on the bone because they are the ones that are wanting to leave,
They are the ones that need to suggest something that the EU will agree to - not the other way around.

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:
4 hours ago, kirkyblue2 said:

Our elected representatives approved the various treaty changes, it's the way democracy works in the UK. Referendums have been a disastrous whacky experiment.

Including indyref?

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

More independence than we would have with a deal which prevented us negotiating trade deals with other countries.

It would be better if, on this occasion, we turned our back on democracy and revoked article 50 but for me the worst outcome is any deal whch prevents us trading independently with others but denies us a seat at the table.

Thing is other countries like negotiating hugely complex trade deals that cover the whole of Europe than having to spend time doing individual ones, with all the red tape that entails. Japan for instance have told Britain in no uncertain terms that we won't get anything like the new EU deal if we leave. The US lobbyists are far too powerful to allow any trade deal that gives us an advantage in their markets, it will all be about lowering standards to allow more imports from them. The golden age of the East India Company finding new markets for our baubles in exchange for tea and spices is long gone, and we're no longer powerful enough to force China to buy opium. I haven't heard anyone explain where these new and unexploited markets are. 

24 minutes ago, Rovers2017 said:

Right lads, can someone give me a list of key bullet points on what is happening with this farce as I've not been paying attention lately,

f**k knows

and are we leaving on Friday?

Maybe.

Thanks xoxo

You're very welcome.

Seems the EU is angle to force her to take a year long break. No point being back here in 3 months with a new PM demanding an new deal when you can just hand May a deal that kills her political career and means the new PM has 12 months to come round to the realisation there is nothing better on offer without reducing the red lines.