Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Yes we could (I'm not saying we should), and yes the EU set the baseline rate.
So what? It's a tax that existed before the EU did. That's the point. The impression given is that VAT is a tax imposed by and for the benefit of the EU and that's palpably wrong. I don't know why you're bothering to defend it.

So what? It's a tax that existed before the EU did. That's the point. The impression given is that VAT is a tax imposed by and for the benefit of the EU and that's palpably wrong. I don't know why you're bothering to defend it.
I'm not defending it, I was just pointing out that in the EU we are, currently, held to minimum rate is all. It's side of a bus stuff, I'm agreeing with you.

So we could be out the EU with no deal by 11pm on Friday night if May cannot convince the EU27 to extend A50 by Wednesday. She will likely be trying to use that as leverage to force Labour to accept her deal with some superficial changes. 

59 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

So we could be out the EU with no deal by 11pm on Friday night if May cannot convince the EU27 to extend A50 by Wednesday. She will likely be trying to use that as leverage to force Labour to accept her deal with some superficial changes. 

Assuming Cooper’s Bill becomes law today wouldn’t she obliged to return to the HoC and seek approval for whatever extension the EU offer?

1 hour ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Crazy state of affairs when she has to negotiate with Corbyn rather than persuade her own fucking party to support her deal.

and will it all be irrelevant anyway?  When she goes, the next PM will likely be put in place by circa 100,000 Tory members.  They'll then shape the negotiations for working with the EU regardless of what might be agreed by May and Corbyn. (regardless of what gets said now).

Depressing thought.  Sorry.

Couple of ERG types pushing for a pointless VOC in May, one of them got taken apart on BBC2 today By Daniel Finkelstein, a Times hack.

It is really hard dealing with this, because it seems to me so daft, to use a polite word for it. You can’t get no-deal through parliament because 400 MPs are against it. It doesn’t matter who the leader of the Conservative party is. This is not about Theresa May. And one of the reasons you failed to get rid of her last time you pointlessly made a vote of no confidence in her, that just resulted in strengthening her for a year, is that getting rid of her would make no difference. And it is failing to appreciate that that has meant that you have over-played your hand, over and over again, and are going to end up possibly with a second referendum on a soft Brexit, and possibly a Corbyn government thrown in. The tactical stupidity of this is breathtaking.

2 hours ago, zidane's child said:

aye all this has really thrown the political handbook right out of the window!

2 hours ago, dee_62 said:

and will it all be irrelevant anyway?  When she goes, the next PM will likely be put in place by circa 100,000 Tory members.  They'll then shape the negotiations for working with the EU regardless of what might be agreed by May and Corbyn. (regardless of what gets said now).

Depressing thought.  Sorry.

I reckon the crux of the May/Corbyn negotiations will centre around, not so much that there will be a need for a customs union, it will be more a case of what they'll  call it.

Hopefully by the end of the week there will still be no sign of any kind of a meaningful agreement and the revoking of A50 will be inevitable.

Edited by ICTJohnboy

42 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I reckon the crux of the May/Corbyn negotiations will centre around, not so much that there will be a need for a customs union, it will be more a case of what they'll  call it.

Hopefully by the end of the week there will still be no sign of any kind of a meaningful agreement and the revoking of A50 will be inevitable.

Would you expect May to stay on or do you think she'd be finished after this?

1 hour ago, zidane's child said:

Would you expect May to stay on or do you think she'd be finished after this?

She is finished and will be forced out sooner, rather than later.

Can't say the favourites to replace her (Gove or Boris) inspire much hope in this country's future prospects.

Boris would be an unmitigated disaster.

47 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

She is finished and will be forced out sooner, rather than later.

Can't say the favourites to replace her (Gove or Boris) inspire much hope in this country's future prospects.

Boris would be an unmitigated disaster.

It could be worse, we could end up with Andrea loathsome.............

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Cant wait to see wankers like James Dyson seething at the thought of workers rights being preserved.

He doesn't give a f**k since he moved to Singapore after they concluded a zero tariff trade deal with the EU, no minimum wage and 7 days paid holiday a year.