Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Anyone who thinks we could negotiate a better deal with the US, China or India without the leverage the market of the EU offers is a fucking moron.

Edited by welshbairn

Just now, oaksoft said:

In the short term, there's no doubt about that.

I'm not advocating a Hard Brexit. I'm saying it would be better than any EU deal which prevents trade negotiations with other countries.

Why exactly? We'd be trading with USA/China/India on the same terms that the rest of the EU is, which seems to work just fine for Norway and Switzerland.

The argument from Brexity types is that USA/China/India are for some reason going to bend over and give us BETTER trading terms than they give the EU trading bloc? That seems like utter pie in the sky nonsense to me.

Just now, oaksoft said:

I think "tits come in pairs" is a better saying TBF.

I'm not going to take lessons from someone who

1) Changes his mind every 5 minutes to troll on here

2) Thinks the US, China and India will give an independent UK better trading terms than they give to the entire EU

3) Supports St Mirren

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

You could revoke and then seek another set of negotiations.

I am suggesting it's revoked permanently and we move on regardless of how undemocratic that is.

But I can see that you are trying to play to the gallery with that question you wee scamp.

I would have thought revoking Article 50 would put the issue to bed for a period of at least several years.

Or at least, I would hope that would be the case.

2 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Legally article 50 can only be revoked "in good faith". You can't just revoke it and immediately trigger it again to reset the 2 year clock.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson might just dispute that!

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

The UK government triggered article 50 and then deliberately ran down the clock knowing full well that a hard Brexit was a risk.

If we get a hard Brexit it will have nothing to do with the EU at all...

After the Cooper-Letwin legislation, if it happens at the end of next week it will be because a politician like Macron went fuque zese pour un gemme de sodjers in an impulsive sort of way when he could have given it a bit longer for sanity to finally prevail. That makes it unlikely to happen on April 12th because the EU27 appear to be rational actors in all of this unlike most of the clowns at Westminster.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

After the Cooper-Letwin legislation, if it happens at the end of next week it will be because a politician like Macron went fuque zese pour un gemme de sodjers in an impulsive sort of way when he could have given it a bit longer for sanity to finally prevail. That makes it unlikely to happen on April 12th because the EU27 appear to be rational actors in all of this unlike most of the clowns at Westminster.

End of the day, Macron has the right to unilaterally veto, but these things will be discussed between all the 27 leaders and the big dogs Tusk, Juncker, Barnier etc

If the majority feeling within the room is that it's better to extend and try to work to avoid no deal, Macron isn't going to pull the plug.

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I think Macron is more worried about being strung up feet first from a lamp post by the 'free market' ... in the form of the yellow vesters....

than he is about getting involved in vetoes.

14 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

D3c5-gMUYAE-DCm.jpg&key=b4d0cf0e97d920cbd415e54179f87e9f3ff178a1009f99422402016cff275957

No it's not.

We could easily scrap VAT.  

Of course we would have to slash spending on the NHS, state pensions, social security, higher education, etc.

Mind you there are some who would be quite happy with that.