Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

13 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
44 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
Owen Smith asks whether the PM will accept a customs union and a "people's vote" on the final Brexit deal, as the price for getting her agreement through the Commons.

He says that this is what Labour will ask for in the cross-party talks later.

Theresa May replies that there are a "number of areas" where she agrees with Jeremy Corbyn on Brexit, including the need to leave with a deal.

She is working to find a solution which can "command the support of this House", she adds.

That's the first time she has not rejected out of hand a second referendum.

Think it will be what happens but it won't be a ballot vs Remain but a simple Yes/No on her deal+CU.

Would be interesting to say the least - SNP, Lib Dems and ERG would be on the No side along with some Remain Tory/Labour MPs.

Yes would be May/Corbyn.

I think No would win.

Her deal plus CU will fly through the house

I'm not so sure. She's would have the cabinet, loyalists and the labour front bench. I reckon it would be a lot tighter but she's relying on a big turn around from labour to make up for the Brexiteers who wouldn't vote for it and probably the usual cohort of remainers who would refuse too.

4 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

If theres no freedom of movement then its not any good for Scotland.

Agreed that it's not good, but it's not as bad as customs checks, regulatory differences and tarrifs. 

We are well into damage limitation. 

4 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

If theres no freedom of movement then its not any good for Scotland.

There might be fudge room for regional variations like they used to have in Canada. Not full FoM but fast track for EU citizens willing to work in areas that need them. It would mean not full Single Market of course, and would need to be negotiated after we withdraw.

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

There might be fudge room for regional variations like they used to have in Canada. Not full FoM but fast track for EU citizens willing to work in areas that need them. It would mean not full Single Market of course, and would need to be negotiated after we withdraw.

...And would involve some degree of devolved power to Scottish authorities in order to administer it. Further divergence between Holyrood and Westminster will almost certainly not be allowed to occur.

I'm not so sure. She's would have the cabinet, loyalists and the labour front bench. I reckon it would be a lot tighter but she's relying on a big turn around from labour to make up for the Brexiteers who wouldn't vote for it and probably the usual cohort of remainers who would refuse too.
I was not talking about a vote in the HoC but if it went to a confirmatory referendum.

58 minutes ago, Billy Rubin said:

Eu election results ( if they happen ) will be funny.   Presumably all leavers in England will either boycott the elections or back UKIP.    Turnout will be sky high from remainers.   

Would probably result in a good night for the SNP, Lib Dems and UKIP.   

There's Farage's Brexit Party too now, so maybe a lot of Leavers might not know who to vote for.

Agree though, if the Tories/UKIP/Brexit parties all vote in to each other ; then Plaid, SNP, Libs, etc might well come up on top.

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:
1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
Owen Smith asks whether the PM will accept a customs union and a "people's vote" on the final Brexit deal, as the price for getting her agreement through the Commons.

He says that this is what Labour will ask for in the cross-party talks later.

Theresa May replies that there are a "number of areas" where she agrees with Jeremy Corbyn on Brexit, including the need to leave with a deal.

She is working to find a solution which can "command the support of this House", she adds.

That's the first time she has not rejected out of hand a second referendum.

Think it will be what happens but it won't be a ballot vs Remain but a simple Yes/No on her deal+CU.

Would be interesting to say the least - SNP, Lib Dems and ERG would be on the No side along with some Remain Tory/Labour MPs.

Yes would be May/Corbyn.

I think No would win.

Her deal plus CU will fly through the house

Would the EU accept that without Free Movement of People? 

22 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
37 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
Yes but what's the question. Will it be deal v remain.?

I don't think they'd put Remain on the ballot - it would be a straight Yes/No on the deal.

It will be a blackmail question to force people to either endorse Mays bucket of sick plus some non guarantees Corbyn  will think he has secured or no deal exit. It will be done to claim Mays bucket of sick is publicly popular. 

2 hours ago, Jambomo said:

I think it illustrates a problem though.

We have now reached the point where they are just desperate to agree any deal at all and so what that deal contains and whether it is actually any good for the country is almost secondary to the fact that it scrapes enough people to support it.

I think the indicative votes showed that the other evening as well. A lot of people were annoyed the SNP didn’t vote for Clark’s Custom Union option, but without realising there would still be no freedom of movement, and is still a very hard Brexit. They didn’t vote for it because it is a rubbish option but people are just desperate for anything less than No Deal, they are jumping at it.

That is just ridiculous. But after nearly three years of going nowhere, it's entirely probable. 

I'm pretty sure remain will be on the ballot paper.

I'd be happy enough with that. Parliament agrees to May's deal going to a referendum v remain.

Remain wins and I can tell my wife 'told you so' in a very smug manner.

Brexiteers in tears and snottery meltdown and continued campaigning for another referendum forever.

PS. Today is Nigel Farage's birthday.

I'd be happy enough with that. Parliament agrees to May's deal going to a referendum v remain.
Brexiteers in tears and snottery meltdown and continued campaigning for another referendum forever.
If Remain was not on any second referendum ballot paper then millions should advertise their intention to boycott it in advance.

6 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

That is the ideal scenario. I'd be equally smug telling Mrs Grumpy.

The gammons eternally calling for another referendum being the icing on the cake.