Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

5 minutes ago, Loondave1 said:

I'm not a fan anyway but Loondave1 is a predictable bag of wind most days. His Unionist servility is cringe making in its play to the gallery pomposity. One trick pony.

I half wonder if the Lib Dems + TIG are playing the wrong strategy.

The Common Market 2.0 proposal and permanent customs union plans really aren't that tangible. There's some logic there but the details are pretty fuzzy and it's much more complex than MPs are making out.

I think maybe going along with the ride and backing it could be what actually stops Brexit after a long extension.

It's just logically nonsensical and I think you'd easily get a dozen more Tory MPs who would be inclined to back a public vote once the realities are laid bare and the public actually grasp it. I'd say 17 votes for the customs union tonight (who didn't also back the referendum) are just praying for a miracle fix and would come around.

So the close but no cigar moment again for CU and Ref 2, I suppose as well for Common Market 2.0. Revoke clearly off the table now. Thing is, May is (rightly) ridiculed for dragging her vote back more than twice, so why, can the now twice defeated CU, Ref 2 and CM 2 be brought back for a third go on Wednesday?  There is absolutely no compromise in that house as has been demonstrated tonight. If CU was going to gain meaningful support surely tonight was that time?

Alistair Campbell saying that the numbers mean Ref 2 is now a certainty....how is that the case following two defeats? 

Also, how does the legality of gaining a long extension work now? The EU hold their Council meeting next Thursday at which they would have to ratify it (at the 11th hour before No deal kicks in). Only takes one of the 27 to veto yet again. So does May now have to pen her next begging letter this week to start the process? 

Is it a straight run off between her deal and her deal+CU on Wednesday now? At which stage presumably both will be bulleted again..hers for the 4th time and CU for the 3rd. Call for a GE next, but the major issue of a long extension must surely be in play then before its too late for that.

So the close but no cigar moment again for CU and Ref 2, I suppose as well for Common Market 2.0. Revoke clearly off the table now. Thing is, May is (rightly) ridiculed for dragging her vote back more than twice, so why, can the now twice defeated CU, Ref 2 and CM 2 be brought back for a third go on Wednesday?  There is absolutely no compromise in that house as has been demonstrated tonight. If CU was going to gain meaningful support surely tonight was that time?
Alistair Campbell saying that the numbers mean Ref 2 is now a certainty....how is that the case following two defeats? 
Also, how does the legality of gaining a long extension work now? The EU hold their Council meeting next Thursday at which they would have to ratify it (at the 11th hour before No deal kicks in). Only takes one of the 27 to veto yet again. So does May now have to pen her next begging letter this week to start the process? 
Is it a straight run off between her deal and her deal+CU on Wednesday now? At which stage presumably both will be bulleted again..hers for the 4th time and CU for the 3rd. Call for a GE next, but the major issue of a long extension must surely be in play then before its too late for that.
Good post. First of all Carmichael is a man of spin, plus referendum has actually been defeated 3 times.
May's deal + CU vs May's deal is the only option now however neither will pass, the EU will extend and we will eventually get another referendum; not the way Tony Blair's puppet is spinning it though.

9 minutes ago, harry94 said:

I half wonder if the Lib Dems + TIG are playing the wrong strategy.

The Common Market 2.0 proposal and permanent customs union plans really aren't that tangible. There's some logic there but the details are pretty fuzzy and it's much more complex than MPs are making out.

I think maybe going along with the ride and backing it could be what actually stops Brexit after a long extension.

It's just logically nonsensical and I think you'd easily get a dozen more Tory MPs who would be inclined to back a public vote once the realities are laid bare and the public actually grasp it. I'd say 17 votes for the customs union tonight (who didn't also back the referendum) are just praying for a miracle fix and would come around.

You're not convincing me that the CUKs and the Lib Dems are tactically inept. There's been no evidence to suggest that in the last 10 years.

Quite frustrating that an element of the People’s Vote lot can’t support the soft Brexit of Common Market 2.0. If we do end up with a No Deal I hope they are absolutely hounded. Think the SNP have done the right thing here. A people’s vote to remain would raise just as many issues as it would solve.

Just now, Enigma said:

Quite frustrating that an element of the People’s Vote lot can’t support the soft Brexit of Common Market 2.0. If we do end up with a No Deal I hope they are absolutely hounded. Think the SNP have done the right thing here. A people’s vote to remain would raise just as many issues as it would solve.

No.  Not really.

9 minutes ago, Enigma said:

What issues would these be?

What issues would these be?

Half the country asking for a ‘best of three’ referendum. A remain result in a people’s vote would not be accepted as a ‘well, that’s that then’ by a good chunk of the populace, not even sure remain would win tbh.

1 minute ago, Enigma said:

Half the country asking for a ‘best of three’ referendum. A remain result in a people’s vote would not be accepted as a ‘well, that’s that then’ by a good chunk of the populace, not even sure remain would win tbh.

Remain would win. People who have a problem with that can go f**k themselves.

40 Labour MPs abstained or voted against second referendum which is part of Labour Party policy.

What's worse is that many of them were saying FoM is against Labour manifesto and policy when it clearly isn't.

They are in many ways they are worse than the gammon racists they seem to be so scared of.

19 minutes ago, Enigma said:

No, Remain would win and Brexit would be dead and buried for a long, long time.

On a separate note, according to the Guardian breakdown three SNP MPs didn’t vote for anything.  I’m assuming that’s a mistake.

Edited by Granny Danger

Glad to hear you support Democracy.

If you had a working brain cell you'd have infinitely improved your intellect.

Only a troll or the thick as pigshit would argue that any of the options tonight break the spirit of the Brexit vote - every one of them is a Leave option only you're too dumb to understand that.

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

On a separate note, according to the Guardian breakdown three SNP MPs didn’t vote for anything.  I’m assuming that’s a mistake.

Angus MacNeil literally couldn't get to the commons because the M.O.D. have grounded all flights from the Western Isles. 

There were a couple of SNP abstentions last week too, so no, I think two of those are probably accurate.

My MP, Stephen Kerr, voted for CM 2.0. Surprised me a lot as he’s been very local in saying we are as well remaining in the EU than taking the EFTA route due to abiding by all the rules, but I guess it was a go at having a compromise solution. Which is exactly what these votes should have been about.

11 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Isn't there at least one SNP teller?

7 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Angus MacNeil literally couldn't get to the commons because the M.O.D. have grounded all flights from the Western Isles. 

There were a couple of SNP abstentions last week too, so no, I think two of those are probably accurate.

One of those who abstained last week was John McNally due to being at home after a bereavement, he returned today. Pete Wishart has been abstaining on things because he opposes a softer Brexit due to thinking it would lead to "soft independence" if and when Scotland votes yes. Angus MacNeil also takes a similar view, so even if he'd been in London he'd have abstained on the referendum motion. Not sure who the third one is.