Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

If CU is adopted then there will need to be Euro elections and a very long extension.

Why? The EU say they could have the adapted Political Declaration ready by tomorrow tea time. They've probably got 5 versions already written. The CU is an insurance policy in case the others don't pass.

Edited by welshbairn

Just now, welshbairn said:

Why? The EU say they could have the adapted Political Declaration ready by tomorrow tea time. They've probably got 5 versions already written.

Because a Customs Union is a very complicated arrangement.

Unless you believe “Customs Union means Customs Union” in the same way some believe “Brexit means Brexit”.

Just now, Granny Danger said:

Because a Customs Union is a very complicated arrangement.

Unless you believe “Customs Union means Customs Union” in the same way some believe “Brexit means Brexit”.

They wouldn't be negotiating it before we withdraw. The Political Declaration is just an indication of where we want to go. They'll have 2 years minimum to sort out the details.

Just now, welshbairn said:

They wouldn't be negotiating it before we withdraw. The Political Declaration is just an indication of where we want to go. They'll have 2 years minimum to sort out the details.

Peddling this shite again!

You are incredibly naive or a really awful troll.  I think I’ll just ignore you on this matter from now on.

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

You are incredibly naive or a really awful troll.  I think I’ll just ignore you on this matter from now on.

I have no idea why anyone would come on here to white knight TM's deal. It's the most bizarre position of the lot.

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I wish you would just learn the difference between the Withdrawal Agreement and the Political Declaration, it's getting boring. The WA only decides the UK subs, Citizens Rights, and the Irish Backstop. Everything else is non binding and in the PD, and the EU refuse to negotiate on it until we leave. What Parliament is trying to do is force the Government's negotiating priorities during the transition, or get a public vote, which would mean going into the EU elections and a long extension.

Edited by welshbairn

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I wish you would just learn the difference between the Withdrawal Agreement and the Political Declaration, it's getting boring. The WA only decides the UK subs, Citizens Rights, and the Irish Backstop. Everything else is non binding and in the PD, and the EU refuse to negotiate on it until we leave.

Whether we're in a Customs Union or not affects all of those things. The WA will have to be reopened if we are.

Just now, John Lambies Doos said:
24 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

No he's not he's correct. It will be negotiated as part of the transition period. He's right.

I’m glad you’re agreeing with him.

I'm hoping for Single Market 2.0 but think the Customs Union stands the best chance. 

Your trade off is either free movement or losing an independent trade policy. Both "betray" Brexit according to the moon-howlers for whom Brexit means nothing more or less than the vision that exists in their head. 

Neither solves the Irish border problem completely. You'll still need a customs declaration and supporting paperwork unless we remain part of the EU customs union (see Turkey for precedent of a negotiated customs union). 

Sacrificing a UK trade policy, the one major benefit Brexit can actually being, just to stop free movement, is a major mistake in my book. But still, borders innit. 

Edited by Michael W