Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

3 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

Yes, but he also announced, at 17:55 last night and just minutes before I was about to clock off from work, that he was “sure” the Library would be producing a briefing note for a debate that had *just been announced* and was due to start first thing in the morning.

He hadn’t thought to, you know, check with the Library first, before confidently saying that...!

So really he was apologising for ruining my Thursday evening without notice as much as crediting my prose...

Bercow is an Alloa fan.  Fact.

I'm liking the short videos Bercow had been in explaining parliamentary process. If only because he looks like the SMUGGEST MAN ALIVE in them

He does. But in fairness, he’s one of the very few that’s actually explaining each of his or her moves, step by step.

44 minutes ago, Paco said:

It is very possible that the DUP - who voted against the Clarke motion in indicative votes - will decide that this is the best way forward. The Conservative Government have taken absolutely no steps to rectify their worries over the NI backstop and they’re absolutely fizzing about the ERG deserting them. In that event, we wouldn’t even need any Tories to vote for Clarke’s plan, including Clarke himself, for the motion to pass.

I’m confident that on a stand-alone vote, Clarke’s plan would have enough support. Would the Government abide by it? Another question entirely.

In the amendment votes the other night, the Margaret Beckett proposal for a public confirmatory vote by the electorate had more support than Clarke's.

6 hours ago, Kejan said:

I stuck it on at 3/1 with Bet365, and its popped up to 4/1.

I don't think it'll pass either. I think it'll fail by about 30-50 votes ; but if it does scrape in then extra £25 for the weekend will be a wee helper.

The Bookies must send you Christmas Cards.

19 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

See all those multitudes that have marched all the way from Sunderland down to London.

Will they now march back up again or have they been able to hire a bus to take them home?

Farage claimed that he walked the full 20 miles on the first day. I think we need a full Public Enquiry.

In the amendment votes the other night, the Margaret Beckett proposal for a public confirmatory vote by the electorate had more support than Clarke's.

True, but it also had more votes against and a bigger margin of defeat than Clarke’s, and I doubt the cabinet coming into play would really help either.

The ‘correct’ way forward has always been to maintain relatively close alignment to the EU while still leaving and I think Clarke’s proposal just about does that. Norway, Switzerland, Canada, Customs Union 2.0, whatever you want to call it and whatever suits best - the country very narrowly voted to leave, and all the focus is on respecting the vote of the 17.4 million, but that is completely ignoring the 16.1 million who want to stay. So let’s leave, get ‘control’ of certain things but stay broadly aligned and see how that works. We don’t have to chain ourselves to the same position forever which I think is being lost in amongst the noise.

4 minutes ago, Paco said:

True, but it also had more votes against and a bigger margin of defeat than Clarke’s, and I doubt the cabinet coming into play would really help either.

The ‘correct’ way forward has always been to maintain relatively close alignment to the EU while still leaving and I think Clarke’s proposal just about does that. Norway, Switzerland, Canada, Customs Union 2.0, whatever you want to call it and whatever suits best - the country very narrowly voted to leave, and all the focus is on respecting the vote of the 17.4 million, but that is completely ignoring the 16.1 million who want to stay. So let’s leave, get ‘control’ of certain things but stay broadly aligned and see how that works. We don’t have to chain ourselves to the same position forever which I think is being lost in amongst the noise.

I'm hoping the various soft brexit people are talking and come up with a joint proposal for Monday. 

Edited by welshbairn

I'm hoping the various soft brexit people are talking and come up with one proposal for Monday.

Yep, with hindsight eight votes was too many and encouraged people to back the ones they really wanted rather than potential compromises.

Is there any word on whether May would have to act with a hypothetical positive vote on say Clarke’s proposal?

5 minutes ago, Paco said:

Yep, with hindsight eight votes was too many and encouraged people to back the ones they really wanted rather than potential compromises.

Is there any word on whether May would have to act with a hypothetical positive vote on say Clarke’s proposal?

Don't think so but there were Government sources leaking a proposal for a run off vote for the winner against May's deal. She'd have to dump her red lines and the Tory Party would likely explode if she took it on, so my failing bet for today is for a General Election. Small stake on Public Vote as an outsider. If there is no majority for anything it will be a hard Brexit on April 12th, I doubt there would be a majority for Revoke. Only other chance is a long extension without a plan, which I doubt the EU would go along with.

Edited by welshbairn

The ignoring of the Remain vote is what really gets on my nerves - it's a dictatorship of the majority as far as some Leave voters are concerned.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Bercow is an Alloa fan.  Fact.

Think he was into some mildly Loyalist Rangers, Linfield and Chelsea Blues Brothers sort of stuff back in the 80s but could be confusing him with somebody else, so may be Fiction.

Wasn't paying attention today because the result was a foregone conclusion. Hope TM finally takes No for an answer and we don't stumble into a No Deal because she simply can't let go of her WA.

Don't think so but there were Government sources leaking a proposal for a run off vote for the winner against May's deal. She'd have to dump her red lines and the Tory Party would likely explode if she took it on, so my failing bet for today is for a General Election. Small stake on Public Vote as an outsider. If there is no majority for anything it will be a hard Brexit on April 12th, I doubt there would be a majority for Revoke. Only other chance is a long extension without a plan, which I doubt the EU would go along with.

Off course they would. Their fucking arses would collapse at their April 10th summit, thus granting a long extension

Also, can we please stop referencing Norway model.. no motion that has single market(freedom of movement) will get anywhere near passed. Look at wednesday results! Customs Union(clarkes) maybe.

Just now, LongTimeLurker said:

Think he was into some mildly Loyalist Rangers, Linfield and Chelsea Blues Brothers sort of stuff back in the 80s but could be confusing him with somebody else, so may be Fiction.

Wasn't paying attention today because the result was a foregone conclusion. Hope TM finally takes No for an answer and we don't stumble into a No Deal because she simply can't let go of her WA.

The turn of the DUP today might be of interest after the betrayal as they see it by a big section of the ERG. Rather stay in the EU than May's deal was the message. Backing a Customs Union definitely a possibility. Unionists first, Brexiteers second. 

11 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
36 minutes ago, Paco said:

The ignoring of the Remain vote is what really gets on my nerves - it's a dictatorship of the majority as far as some Leave voters are concerned.

It's ignoring the rest of the country as well. The referendum provided a mandate for leave and people who didnt vote might have to accept that a decision was made without them, but it doesnt mean they should expect this chaos.