Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

3 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

I don't disagree with that, but sometimes parliamentarians need to be saved from themselves too. This is one of those times.

In times of crisis the Roman republic appointed an all poweful dictator to bulldoze over all the petty squabbling in the senate. 

History repeats itself they say, so I wonder who we are going to get.:shutup

2 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

No need to feel dirty, mate.  Lots of posters agree with me on Brexit ;)

The mood of the country is very much for us to remain or for the softest of Brexits.  If (and it's a big if) there is a GE you'll see party manifestos in favour of remain.

You were doing so well too.

7 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

I don't disagree with that, but sometimes parliamentarians need to be saved from themselves too. This is one of those times.

I'll tell you what amuses me.  The people who have blocked Brexit have been a combination of The ERG MPs and The DUP.  Had both groups supported May's (flawed) plan then we'd be leaving the EU next month.  As it is, we're fairly close to either 'remain' or a much softer 'leave' than either group could have imagined.  Karma in a sash IMO.

9 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

You’ve lost me on this one. The SNP want to remain in the EU which is in their constituents interests. Failing that the Scot Gov published a compromise involving membership of the SM and CU, which is in their constituents interest.  Why would they vote for something that is neither of these things? They’ve been completely consistent.

There won't be a ref 2 or a revocation. It will be a May deal or a May deal with the possibility of a customs union slipped into the Political Declaration. Or no deal. A customs union would be better for their constituents than the alternatives. If they'd backed it the whole dynamic would have changed, they gave a massive boost to May and against Parliament.

Edited by welshbairn

6 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

If you think a Tory manifesto would commit to remaining in the EU  in any future GE, I’m sorry, you have no idea what you’re talking about.

I am an optimist.  My local MP is Steve Baker - an arch 'leaver' but his constituency voted 'remain'.   Middle class Tory-voting constituencies throughout the South East will back a 'remain' manifesto and will oust potential 'leave' candidates.

The ones you have to worry about are, in fact, the Labour heartlands in Wales and the north of England rather than we Tories.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

There won't be a ref 2 or a revocation. It will be a May deal or a May deal with the possibility of a customs union slipped into the Political Declaration. Or no deal. A customs union would be better for their constituents than the alternatives.

No-one can say for certain what is going to happen, to assume you can is complete foolishness.

Anyway, whether or not you believe a 2nd ref could happen, it has been the SNP’s position that they want one with remain as option or revocation if we’re faced with no deal. They are completely justified in voting for what has been their long held position.

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

I am an optimist.  My local MP is Steve Baker - an arch 'leaver' but his constituency voted 'remain'.   Middle class Tory-voting constituencies throughout the South East will back a 'remain' manifesto and will oust potential 'leave' candidates.

The ones you have to worry about are, in fact, the Labour heartlands in Wales and the north of England rather than we Tories.

It would be complete electoral suicide, optimism on your part or not. It wouldn’t happen.

Also with May likely to stand down the chances of a proper Brexiteer taking over increase. 

1 minute ago, Londonwell said:

No-one can say for certain what is going to happen, to assume you can is complete foolishness.

Anyway, whether or not you believe a 2nd ref could happen, it has been the SNP’s position that they want one with remain as option or revocation if we’re faced with no deal. They are completely justified in voting for what has been their long held position.

I added a bit to my post. They effectively granted outright victory to May. Other parties must have done the same on other votes.

Just now, Londonwell said:

It would be complete electoral suicide, optimism on your part or not. It wouldn’t happen.

Also with May likely to stand down the chances of a proper Brexiteer taking over increase. 

Backing remain in a Tory constituency that voted to remain is electoral suicide?  You have to talk me through that one.

The biggest challenge to those of us who values the EU principles aren't, in fact, we Tories but the Labour voters and that will be a much harder sell for Corbyn et al.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I added a bit to my post. They effectively granted outright victory to May. Other parties must have done the same on other votes.

It’s not really a boost to May at all though is it? It doesn’t increase the chances of her getting her deal through very much  and even if she did get her deal through she’d be a goner.

Remember that a 2nd Ref was the most popular option of all tonight.That is what they’re fighting for.

6 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Backing remain in a Tory constituency that voted to remain is electoral suicide?  You have to talk me through that one.

The biggest challenge to those of us who values the EU principles aren't, in fact, we Tories but the Labour voters and that will be a much harder sell for Corbyn et al.

Putting something that is the complete opposite of what was in the manifesto that got you into government before that promise has been exacted is political suicide. I can’t believe I’m having to explain this to you.

The same rule (minus the gov) applies to Labour.

Edited by Londonwell

Just now, Londonwell said:

Putting something that is the complete opposite of what was in the manifesto that got you into government before that promise has been exacted is political suicide. I can’t believe I’m having to explain this to you.

The manifesto was neutral on the outcome of the plebiscite.  That I have to explain this to you is embarrassing.

1 minute ago, Londonwell said:

As Ken Clarke has said the manifesto was only scribbled a week before the election with the dementia tax scribbled out, and they've fulfilled about none of the other pledges, including Social Care. The idea of honouring manifestos is pure bullshit.

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

The manifesto was neutral on the outcome of the plebiscite.  That I have to explain this to you is embarrassing.

Haha I’m starting to feel you’re pulling my leg. The manifesto committed to seeing through the job of leaving the EU, what on earth are you talking about?

2 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

Looks like you've been caught out.

I don't think so.

Edit:  IF we do have a GE the party who will find it hardest to support Remain will be the the Corbynites,  I don't see this as being in the least bit contentious.

Edited by The_Kincardine