Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

4 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

That is a truly disturbing Twitter feed, some real b*****ds on there.

The thing is these Twitters and the vox poppers are not representative.  If the was a second referendum Remain would win.

27 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Off topic, but whilst the judgement itself seems correct the rules are fucked up.  

No one, including “ordinary” people, should be able to manipulate their employment status in order to pay less tax; but that’s Tory Britain for you.

It's not purely for tax, there are plenty reasons (as well as cons) to be set up as a contractor.  You have none of the employment law protection, for example.

It is not meant to be used purely for tax reasons, hence she was investigated.  The company is subject to corporation tax on the profits and the individual is subject to tax on getting the money out of the company, whether it be via salary or dividends.  

Plenty of celebrities have pretty horrendous means to legally avoid tax. This isn't one of them.

26 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Exactly, that was my point. Thank God someone gets it !!

There's probably more eloquent ways of putting it than Lorraine Kelly being an example of the whole country being a disaster.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I think most folk would agree that Corbyn has been hopeless throughout this process.  Nonetheless when he met EU leaders with his proposals they all agreed these were workable.

If Theresa May had made genuine attempts at cross party discussions there could have been a Brexit that I think the majority of folk in the U.K. would have accepted (acceptance not being the same as being happy with).

Of course it’s not May’s style and she probably would have seen it as handing Labour a partial victory.

The main issue is the Tories "Red lines". A deal that agreed a softer Brexit, probably something along the lines of what Corbyn put across, would have probably been accepted by enough people. That the Tories refuse to budge an inch from their own wishes is whats really screwing us all. 

1 minute ago, Jambomo said:

The main issue is the Tories "Red lines". A deal that agreed a softer Brexit, probably something along the lines of what Corbyn put across, would have probably been accepted by enough people. That the Tories refuse to budge an inch from their own wishes is whats really screwing us all. 

The red lines can be dropped in the next phase if May's deal passes.

Just now, welshbairn said:

Why would anyone believe that they would do that though? They won't as they don't want to. They are also less that true to their word, it would be pretty foolish now to trust in what they say or promise to do.

1 minute ago, Jambomo said:

Why would anyone believe that they would do that though? They won't as they don't want to. They are also less that true to their word, it would be pretty foolish now to trust in what they say or promise to do.

That's assuming the Tories stay in power. I think there will be a General Election fairly soon.

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

May’s deal is a shit deal.  The backstop is a horrendously bad idea; it would probably never get put into effect but only a lunatic signs up to something on the basis that it probably won’t happen.

1 minute ago, Brother Blades said:

I don’t get much news coverage from the UK over here, other than web-based, are MPs not up in arms about being blamed by the PM for this?
This, despite her delaying bringing the motion back to the house for several weeks?

They're raging. They've been told to take taxis home so they don't get attacked by nutters and May's practically called them traitors live on TV.

2 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

I don’t get much news coverage from the UK over here, other than web-based, are MPs not up in arms about being blamed by the PM for this?
This, despite her delaying bringing the motion back to the house for several weeks?

Quite a few Tories had a pop at her.  Like you I’m surprised there hasn’t been a bigger reaction; it was a shocking desperate attempt at deflection of blame.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

May’s deal is a shit deal.  The backstop is a horrendously bad idea; it would probably never get put into effect but only a lunatic signs up to something on the basis that it probably won’t happen.

What's wrong with it apart from the backstop? The backstop is to comply with the Belfast Agreement in all circumstances.

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

That's assuming the Tories stay in power. I think there will be a General Election fairly soon.

There might be but I don't think anyone would vote through the deal as it is in the hope that the Tories would a) keep their word on changing the red lines or B ) lose a General Election.

Thinking about it, can they change the deal once its voted through? Would the EU allow them to? I thought it was pretty much the case that they won't negotiate it anymore unless something drastically changes (i.e we'd need the election first then they might allow us to talk about the deal again if their is someone new in charge).

Edited by Jambomo

Just now, Jambomo said:

There might be but I don't think anyone would vote through the deal as it is in the hope that the Tories would a) keep their word on changing the red lines or B ) lose a general Election.

Thinking about it, can they change the deal once its voted through? Would the EU allow them to? I thought it was pretty much the case that they won't negotiate it anymore unless something drastically changes (i.e we'd need the election first then they might allow us to talk about the deal again if their is someone new in charge).

The red lines are in the political declaration afaik, which isn't binding. Most of the final deal hasn't even started to be negotiated, the withdrawal deal was supposed to be the easy bit.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

What's wrong with it apart from the backstop? The backstop is to comply with the Belfast Agreement in all circumstances.

I think that its mainly that there is also being out of the Single Market and Customs Union, when most soft Brexiteers and Remainers would want membership of these and I think even Corbyn wanted these as part of his Brexit proposals. Those are major differences.

6 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I think that its mainly that there is also being out of the Single Market and Customs Union, when most soft Brexiteers and Remainers would want membership of these and I think even Corbyn wanted these as part of his Brexit proposals. Those are major differences.

We haven't started negotiations on that. just some vague and non binding outlines in the Political Declaration.

Edited by welshbairn

Just now, welshbairn said:

We haven't started negotiations on that.

I know but I think the problem is that the main issues they have with the backstop reflect the Tory Red Lines. The main problem being they can't agree on the border because they want the final deal to mean no CU or SM. The backstop itself would be similar in principle to remaining in these agreements. If the Tories were willing to consider the CU & SM then they wouldn't have this agreement, they would have something more akin to the whole country being treated in a similar way with something similar to what a soft Brexit would eventually look like.

That is as I understand it anyway, I fully acknowledge that this is a mess and that there might be parts of it I don't know about or understand. Its more complicated by the day.

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

We haven't started negotiations on that.

I mean given the opposition to freedom of movement both are effectively ruled out aren't they unless there's an extreme change of position from the EU?

5 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

I mean given the opposition to freedom of movement both are effectively ruled out aren't they unless there's an extreme change of position from the EU?

Yes, the red lines would have to change, but they're not in the Withdrawal Agreement afaik.

57 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Other than that Mrs Lincoln how was the play?