Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Just now, Tibbermoresaint said:

French media reporting Macron will block the extension request. If this is true then things are about to get very interesting indeed.

And May's just said in her letter to the EU requesting an extension to the end of June, that she will not accept a longer period than that.

Next week is certainly going to get very interesting.

7 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I totally disagree.  The U.K. is a very wealthy country.

The spending priorities may be all to hell but that does not mask the fact that the U.K. has the capacity to address all of the public spending inadequacies if the political will existed.

9 minutes ago, Detournement said:

We are a wealthy country by any measure.

Everything you describe is a Neoliberal policy choice.

Venezuela is also a wealthy country as you put it, however any country which can't offer the majority of it's citizens a good standard of living is NOT a wealthy country in my book.

Like Russia under the Tsars, if the peasants are starving out in the fields then again I don't call that a wealthy country and personally that's the closest parallel I can draw between wealth and poverty as it currently stands in this country.

We could debate all day about who's fault it is and how this came about, however had we followed a similar path to that of the Scandinavian countries then I'm sure most of us would be feeling better about things...........

3 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Like Russia under the Tsars, if the peasants are starving out in the fields then again I don't call that a wealthy country and personally that's the closest parallel I can draw between wealth and poverty as it currently stands in this country.

Which peasants are starving in which fields in this country?

3 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Venezuela is also a wealthy country as you put it, however any country which can't offer the majority of it's citizens a good standard of living is NOT a wealthy country in my book.

We could debate all day about who's fault it is and how this came about, however had we followed a similar path to that of the Scandinavian countries then I'm sure most of us would be feeling better about things...........

You’re mixing up objective facts (a country’s wealth) and subjective views (how that wealth should be distributed/spent).

Saying the U.K. is not a wealthy country is, by any objective comparison, an incorrect statement.

8 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Labour will abstain

There's talk about the EU saying a short extension could only be until the date of the EU elections in May, so they would only offer it if the the WD is passed, as there would be no time to negotiate an alternative. It will be interesting what Labour would do if they offer a year's extension instead and it goes to a vote.

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, Paco said:

Theresa May asks the EU for an extension to June 30th, and confirms another go at her deal. How she plans to do that is unknown, at this stage.

EU already making noises that it’s May 23rd, Election Day, or the end of 2019.

I have just seen this on the BBC website.  It makes sense from an EU perspective.

I hope the EU27 stick to this as it will force a decision from Parliament.

5 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

There have been rumblings that the French might block it for a while, but few inside the alternate universe bubble that is British politics took it seriously. De Gaulle did something similar on EEC entry at one point.

Great news if true.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

You’re mixing up objective facts (a country’s wealth) and subjective views (how that wealth should be distributed/spent).

Saying the U.K. is not a wealthy country is, by any objective comparison, an incorrect statement.

Well, as I'm not the Chancellor, the only Facts that matter to me are the ones that you put as "subjective".

If my country has broken roads, failed public amenities, run down health centres and hospitals, failing schools and our streets are littered with homeless people and beggars then the ONLY assumption that I can make is that my country is failing and must be bankrupt (morally at any speed).

I suppose though I could become a Little Englander Brexiteer type and take great delight in pushing my chest out as I tell my European buddies that they're scum because my Queen and the Investment Bankers of Canary Wharf are pure loaded like !!

15 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Venezuela is fucked because it is dealing with the legacy of three centuries of colonialism, genocide, racism and the ruling class not investing any money into the country. You can't spend your way quickly out of that no matter how much oil you have.

In the UK we have strong social structures which are currently underfunded due to right wing ideology. There is no comparison between us and countries like Venezuela

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

Venezuela is fucked because it is dealing with the legacy of three centuries of colonialism, genocide, racism and the ruling class not investing any money into the country. You can't spend your way quickly out of that no matter how much oil you have.

This will come as news to various countries in the Persian Gulf and Central Asia, not to mention Russia.

3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Aaron Banks and Farage must have gotten to Macron somehow.

Or May herself? It's pretty much been drafted in a way that has always looked like it'd be rejected.

The quickness of the veto maybe isn't ideal timing but if parliament don't come up with some mechanism to do something very very soon then it really is just her agreement or no agreement. Her whole strategy has been based on brinkmanship, no reason why she'd change course.