Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

7 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

We were on the winning side for two world wars.

In the first, we were on the winning side but lost a quarter of our territory when the Republic of Ireland became a separate country.

In the second, we were on the winning side but lost an empire.

Both went the way they did mainly due to belated American intervention is the part that tends to be airbrushed out. Beyond that it was really the Free State that emerged after WW1. The RoI happened in 1948. The Free State was technically a Dominion of the Empire although any pretence over that basically ended in 1937 once Fianna Fail eclipsed Fine Gael.

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Labour are said to be against extending A50 beyond June. If so they'll be ruling out a second referendum as there wouldn't be time, and ignoring what was agreed at Conference.

All seems to be about not alienating Leave voters now for future party political advantage, so over the cliff we probably go unless something bizarre happens like SNP backing May's deal.

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Labour are said to be against extending A50 beyond June. If so they'll be ruling out a second referendum as there wouldn't be time, and ignoring what was agreed at Conference.

As well popping almost all of what Labour offers into the "what is the point of Labour" thread.  I've tended to look at that thread through a Scotland only lens - namely how fucking pointless they are in Scotland - but the longer this runs, the worse they get.  Corbyn is a total shyster. 

Theresa May asks the EU for an extension to June 30th, and confirms another go at her deal. How she plans to do that is unknown, at this stage.

EU already making noises that it’s May 23rd, Election Day, or the end of 2019.

15 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

All seems to be about not alienating Leave voters now for future party political advantage, so over the cliff we probably go unless something bizarre happens like SNP backing May's deal.

Except there are far more Labour voters in favour of Remain/soft Brexit than are in favour of a Hard Brexit.  This goes moreso for Labour Party members.

Various polls have shown that Labour will win more support by opposing Brexit than supporting it.

This is all about Corbyn’s personal position which ignored these realities.

36 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Or they are going for a General Election which could be held between now and June 30 which is exactly what was agreed on at the conference.

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Except there are far more Labour voters in favour of Remain/soft Brexit than are in favour of a Hard Brexit.  This goes moreso for Labour Party members.

Various polls have shown that Labour will win more support by opposing Brexit than supporting it.

This is all about Corbyn’s personal position which ignored these realities.

All this has been done to death - we need to factor Corbyn AND May out of any rational solution to the current situation; if that means internal party revolt on either side then so be it, although I seriously wouldn't be hanging my hat on that outcome.  Again though, I can't believe the UK collective of domestic and multinational business, industry, academia et al are simply going to act as bystanders as a cabal of crazed zealots takes the country under.

10 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Or they are going for a General Election which could be held between now and June 30 which is exactly what was agreed on at the conference.

They said if they failed to secure a GE they would move to push for a public vote. If they fight against a longer extension that will be impossible.

This country on the whole is a total disaster, the only reason we still have jobs here is due to the fact that we pay low wages, have low taxation on big business and have very little Union powers, any other romantic ideas about "British workmanship", "British Quality", "British Standards" is just complete and utter fantasy I'm afraid.

We are NOT a wealthy country, just look at the state of our public services, look at the state of our roads, our NHS funding, our education funding, etc , etc, it's a complete and utter disgrace despite the constant soundbites that are rhymed off time and time again by moronic and ignorant Government Ministers.

I've not even started on homelessness, rough sleeping and the drugs epidemic, however these are just brushed under the carpet in our current "hear no evil", "see no evil", "speak no evil" society (using the term loosely).

Don't get me wrong, I believe the SNP are doing the best they can for us in Scotland with one arm tied behind their back, but overall Britain as a country is in serious decline and if people can't see this then I can only assume that they're either stupid or don't get out much.

I reckon we're pretty much fcuked, irrespective of the Brexit outcomes, it's just a case of HOW fcuked..................

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

We are NOT a wealthy country, just look at the state of our public services, look at the state of our roads, our NHS funding, our education funding, etc , etc, it's a complete and utter disgrace despite the constant soundbites that are rhymed off time and time again by moronic and ignorant Government Ministers.

I've not even started on homelessness, rough sleeping and the drugs epidemic, however these are just brushed under the carpet in our current "hear no evil", "see no evil", "speak no evil" society (using the term loosely).

We are a wealthy country by any measure.

Everything you describe is a Neoliberal policy choice.

2 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

This country on the whole is a total disaster, the only reason we still have jobs here is due to the fact that we pay low wages, have low taxation on big business and have very little Union powers, any other romantic ideas about "British workmanship", "British Quality", "British Standards" is just complete and utter fantasy I'm afraid.

Don't get me wrong, I believe the SNP are doing the best they can for us in Scotland with one arm tied behind their back, but overall Britain as a country is in serious decline and if people can't see this then I can only assume that they're either stupid or don't get out much.

I reckon we're pretty much fcuked, irrespective of the Brexit outcomes, it's just a case of HOW fcuked..................

I totally disagree.  The U.K. is a very wealthy country.

The spending priorities may be all to hell but that does not mask the fact that the U.K. has the capacity to address all of the public spending inadequacies if the political will existed.

3 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Some of them are, some of them aren't, some of them aren't sure!

Party policy is pro-Brexit.

2 minutes ago, Detournement said:

They aren't trying to stop Brexit.

They have their own Brexit proposal which could work.

Brexit proposals which don't involve the cancellation of Brexit can't and won't work.