Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

1 minute ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

What do you mean?

Many of the Eastern countries in particular would prefer it preserved, partly for their citizens working here and partly for the remittances sent back to bolster their economies.

3 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Because it’s mutually beneficial? The current deal is what the EU agreed to subject to May’s constraints, including no free movement. Corbyn would prefer a softer Brexit which would suit the EU. They don’t want us to leave at all, so a soft Brexit to them is a better alternative to the May deal (which in turn, is a better alternative to them than a no deal)

A no deal is the EU’s disaster scenario, especially for Ireland. That’s why I fully expect an extension to be granted to avoid a no deal, albeit the EU negotiators will leverage their power over Theresa May to try and get a concession of a longer extension and probably a referendum.

Labour are as committed to ending freedom of movement as the Tories so I'm not sure I'd agree that Labour wants a softer Brexit.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Many of the Eastern countries in particular would prefer it preserved, partly for their citizens working here and partly for the remittances sent back to bolster their economies.

Sure, but both main parties want to end it so I don't see much "give" on it I'm afraid. 

Labour are as committed to ending freedom of movement as the Tories so I'm not sure I'd agree that Labour wants a softer Brexit.

Labour are committed to delivering Brexit but are talking about a softer deal than the May deal. Corbyn met with Blackford, Cable, Lucas and Saville today to discuss plans for some kind of unified opposition but pissed them all off because apparently all he tried to do was get them onside for his version of Brexit, whereas the other 4 were wanting a people’s vote.

2 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

Sure, but both main parties want to end it so I don't see much "give" on it I'm afraid. 

Corbyn's being cagey but if he's talking about a customs union and dropping red lines it's pretty clear where he has to go. He's terrified about losing the racists though, admittedly.

15 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

A better deal for whom? The EU27 have already agreed the deal that suits them. Why would they want to give the UK a better deal?

To get the 39 Billion.

The EU needs it as many of their Countries are heading for a recession.

9 days to go though leave may be delayed it will happen.

There will be no second vote.

3 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

Labour's preference is to remain in a customs union and single market It's been claimed that would mean freedom of movement would have to stay in place.

We have to bear in mind that labour aren't actually doing the negotiations.

5 hours ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

I don't know if it would. The kippers have hitherto done well because of the apathy surrounding these elections. I wonder if future elections would see a more concerted effort by the more mainstream parties to get remainers to vote for them.

The next EU election is only a few weeks away.  Failure to complete Brexit on March 29th will send the UKIP vote through the roof IMO.

3 options basically open to the EU...short extension until June, though not sure what that would achieve as it would still require May's deal to somehow pass, or a long extension of potentially two years with the probable caveat that it is based on a 2nd Ref at some point in that period. 3rd option is of course veto any extension and let No deal go through.  The greatest irony of course is that 'taking back control' has now given the EU complete control of the process and the UK govt don't have any control left.

3 options left for the govt in the event of an extension as well.....another go at May's deal, a 2nd Ref, or revocation of A50. Of course a longer extension would bring a GE into play, probably later this year, but what would that achieve indeed if the Tories minus May win again. It would be back to square one.

In the event of an extension and her deal failing as likely again, it has to switch to 2nd Ref or revocation....unless Labour could somehow win a GE and offer a different form of deal from their negotiations. ..but that would be much later.

1 hour ago, Lurkst said:

The next EU election is only a few weeks away.  Failure to complete Brexit on March 29th will send the UKIP vote through the roof IMO.

UKIP are horrendously disorganised at the moment and nowhere near ready to fight an election campaign. A poll the other day had them on 17%, which would be 10% down on what they got when they won this thing last time, and in 3rd place behind winners Labour and the 2nd placed Tories. The Brexiteer vote went back to the Tories in 2017, but of course they'll lose a sizeable proportion of it if they don't deliver Brexit on time. The problem UKIP have, though, is that Nigel Farage is no longer in UKIP and has formed the rival "Brexit Party" who will aim to hoover up these votes. It's the SSP/Solidarity split of right wing British nationalism.

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

3 options basically open to the EU...short extension until June, though not sure what that would achieve as it would still require May's deal to somehow pass, or a long extension of potentially two years with the probable caveat that it is based on a 2nd Ref at some point in that period. 3rd option is of course veto any extension and let No deal go through.  The greatest irony of course is that 'taking back control' has now given the EU complete control of the process and the UK govt don't have any control left.

3 options left for the govt in the event of an extension as well.....another go at May's deal, a 2nd Ref, or revocation of A50. Of course a longer extension would bring a GE into play, probably later this year, but what would that achieve indeed if the Tories minus May win again. It would be back to square one.

In the event of an extension and her deal failing as likely again, it has to switch to 2nd Ref or revocation....unless Labour could somehow win a GE and offer a different form of deal from their negotiations. ..but that would be much later.

The one big difference you could see if a new Tory leader manages to get a majority, then the DUP would no longer be needed. If that's the case then they can go back to the original plan of an Irish sea border with NI retaining a special status in the customs union, and the backstop can be removed.

13 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
13 hours ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:
Oh well. That's it set in stone then. Oh dear!

Over the last week alone, you've shown yourself to be the most cretinous, self loathing, cringe worthy, scottish hating, doff capping imbecile in P&B history. A truly remarkable feat.

Wow, don't know the guy, but that is some level of measured criticism. Is he really that bad?

2 hours ago, Donathan said:

UKIP are horrendously disorganised at the moment and nowhere near ready to fight an election campaign. A poll the other day had them on 17%, which would be 10% down on what they got when they won this thing last time, and in 3rd place behind winners Labour and the 2nd placed Tories. The Brexiteer vote went back to the Tories in 2017, but of course they'll lose a sizeable proportion of it if they don't deliver Brexit on time. The problem UKIP have, though, is that Nigel Farage is no longer in UKIP and has formed the rival "Brexit Party" who will aim to hoover up these votes. It's the SSP/Solidarity split of right wing British nationalism.

The one big difference you could see if a new Tory leader manages to get a majority, then the DUP would no longer be needed. If that's the case then they can go back to the original plan of an Irish sea border with NI retaining a special status in the customs union, and the backstop can be removed.

Sound scientific research there.  And what exactly did UKIP win last time?  Or indeed any time?

Edited by oldbitterandgrumpy