Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

24 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

He must have been aware of the procedure prior to the second vote when you consider the  heavy loss she sustained in the first vote, if  so why wait in ambush so close to the exit date?

Seriously doubt he did this on a whim all on his lonesome. Hopefully, what sometimes gets referred to elsewhere as the "deep state" are trying to find a way to rein in Theresa May because she doesn't seem to be able to take No for an answer on the withdrawal agreement and it really is time to change direction now and try to get this whole mess reversed before it heads over the cliff edge.

1 hour ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

The likelihood isn't a fact. Do you know for certain that Scotland would have been granted entry to the EU?

Given the fact that the EU actively try and get countries to sign up to the "family", one could assume with almost 100% certainty that Scotland would have been granted entry, especially as we had our EU infrastructure already in place,  a strong Economy and also due to our strategic importance in terms of location.

Anyone who argues any different is quite simply deluded and ignorant..........

Laura Kuenssberg's reporting on Bercow's statement yesterday is basically tabloid, sensationalist and biased tripe.

Article headed "Bercow chucks a hulking great spanner in the works" and starts with a quote "He's breaking the constitution".  "There is festering concern about John Bercow's suspected wish to stop Brexit".

Pro government propaganda for gammons.

Edited by GiGi

4 hours ago, btb said:

Quite a few folk suggesting the EU would insist on a second referendum as the price for extending A50 - this would be an absolute gift for Leave!

Another EU election would certainly be a gift for UKIP....

33 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Another EU election would certainly be a gift for UKIP....

I don't know if it would. The kippers have hitherto done well because of the apathy surrounding these elections. I wonder if future elections would see a more concerted effort by the more mainstream parties to get remainers to vote for them.

4 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

He must have been aware of the procedure prior to the second vote when you consider the  heavy loss she sustained in the first vote, if  so why wait in ambush so close to the exit date?

He did no such thing. He ruled the second vote materially different because the EU had provided legally binding complimentary information so judged the material aspect had changed.

Nothing was brought to him for the third vote formally and his intervention was that many members of the House had raised it with him and were seeking urgent clarification.

If members want to pass it, they still can with another motion. It's just that May can't waste parliaments time again.

4 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

If you read my second paragraph again, which you failed to comment on, you will see my thoughts on the possibility of a no deal exit caused by this. 

And you didn't comment on my undergraduate engineering thesis. If you do, you will see my thoughts on the possibility of errors in k-epsilon turbulence models caused by poor y+ values.

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Rumours that she'll ask for 9 months extension but with the flexibility of shortening it if she can get her deal through.

Also rumoured that the EU may do it conditional on it being written that the negotiations are definitely done and they definitely won't open the WA again. Maybe the subtle way of trying to bring a referendum as the main solution again and making it clear that a new election won't change anything.

8 minutes ago, harry94 said:

Also rumoured that the EU may do it conditional on it being written that the negotiations are definitely done and they definitely won't open the WA again. Maybe the subtle way of trying to bring a referendum as the main solution again and making it clear that a new election won't change anything.

I'm pretty sure that they'd be willing to renegotiate if after an election the new Government were prepared to drop or alter May's red lines.

Edited by welshbairn

Just now, welshbairn said:

I'm pretty sure that they'd be willing to renegotiate if after an election the new Government were prepared do drop or alter May's red lines.

That was my thinking originally but the thought seems to be that they are fearful that if they are publicly open to anything like that, it'll f**k things up as we'll get MPs going about making mental promises again and then end up with similar issues. Maybe the ideal would be to say that though but compromise if it was sensible and someone had control though, it'll be interesting to see what the collective EU response amounts to anyway as they've probably not decided it for sure.

In reality, May's WA could be used for a few different options for the trade deal so I suppose it's probably not a huge issue if someone like Corbyn somehow ended up in a position of extreme authority - could get something like his workers right bill integrated with the trading deal if he wanted to but would just need to be some trust there that they didn't massively shift positions when the WA is ratified.

Nope. The Yes and No support in Scotland remains hardened and ingrained, and within tiny margins has not moved in 5 years.

It's been proven that there's no correlation between Leave/Remain and Yes/No.....we need to get away from believing that Westminster chaos and/or a hardline Tory government will somehow increase support for independence.

The campaign hasn't even started yet.

We all remember the huge lead that No had at the start - it evaporated like snaw aff a dyke when the serious stuff started. I still think there is a soft part to the No vote which will find the current shenanigans at Westminster quietly disturbing.

It's more than a Remain/Leave thing but how the tribal politics of Westminster is just not fit for purpose.

Say what you like about the Scottish Parliament - beyond the showpiece of FM Questions there is a lot more cooperation (and, dare I say it, common sense) than Westminster.

4 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
4 hours ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:
Oh well. That's it set in stone then. Oh dear!

Over the last week alone, you've shown yourself to be the most cretinous, self loathing, cringe worthy, scottish hating, doff capping imbecile in P&B history. A truly remarkable feat.

A remarkable feat that you have vocabulary that totally gets it wrong. A cretin? Have a look at yourself.

Over the last week alone, you've shown yourself to be the most cretinous, self loathing, cringe worthy, scottish hating, doff capping imbecile in P&B history. A truly remarkable feat.
That takes dome doing considering we have had the likes of ScotchMist, Perthshire Bell and Lex on these threads.

Barnier not exactly ruling in an automatic extension. If anything he appears to be saying it could be a no deal scenario. :o

Michel Barnier: "Everyone should now finalise all preparations for a no-deal scenario"

Edited by Colkitto