Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

I can't quite understand how it is that along the bottom of the screen on Sky News it is saying that Corbyn has told Sky News that his party "is not supporting May's deal because it will be a blindfold brexit" but then the very next line says Corbyn has told Sky News that labour will back an amendment by Peter Kyle and Phil Wilson which aims to secure Parliament backing for May's deal if it is subject to a referendum once "he has seen the wording"

Maybe someone can explain this to me. I'm still trying to figure out if Corbyn and his cohorts will be backing May's deal or not.

Edited by ICTJohnboy

38 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I can't quite understand how it is that along the bottom of the screen on Sky News it is saying that Corbyn has told Sky News that his party "is not supporting May's deal because it will be a blindfold brexit" but then the very next line says Corbyn has told Sky News that labour will back an amendment by Peter Kyle and Phil Wilson which aims to secure Parliament backing for May's deal if it is subject to a referendum once "he has seen the wording"

Maybe someone can explain this to me. I'm still trying to figure out if Corbyn and his cohorts will be backing May's deal or not.

I think it means voting for May's deal but with an amendment that means it has to be confirmed by a referendum with a Remain option. If the amendment didn't pass then they'd vote against the deal.P.S. Just noticed he's said he would vote for the amendment but against the deal. Bit pointless as the amended bill would have no chance of passing without full Labour backing, as it would lead to a referendum. He's just playing games again.

Edited by welshbairn

35 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I think it means voting for May's deal but with an amendment that means it has to be confirmed by a referendum with a Remain option. If the amendment didn't pass then they'd vote against the deal.

Thanks for that.

Decent account here :  https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/17/labour-plan-commons-vote-second-referendum

1 minute ago, ICTJohnboy said:

If you see the P.S. to my post above he's just playing silly buggers again and wouldn't vote for the amended deal. Shame as I think it might be the only way of getting another referendum.

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If you see the P.S. to my post above he's just playing silly buggers again and wouldn't vote for the amended deal. Shame as I think it might be the only way of getting another referendum.

I'm pinning my hopes on him and his party voting against May's deal, which will hopefully see it defeated yet again. Rather than the UK crashing out without a deal, A50 could be revoked and the whole shambles kicked into touch.

Another referendum won't necessarily solve anything - I do believe that it could go either way, and will  be too close for either side to claim an emphatic victory.

On 3/16/2019 at 10:43, ICTJohnboy said:

Oh they'll get these "assurances" but will they mean anything?

We saw what happened with all these "assurances" she claimed to have got from the EU on the backstop. They just didn't exist.

I'd imagine the only assurance they need is that no-one will mention they didn't actually want any assurances.

Sounds to me like Corbyn's plan here is to be obstructionist, if they can force the amendment (which Remain factions would back with them), it makes the actual motion for her plan even more unpalatable to the hardcore Brexiteers which will push them to help vote the whole thing down again. It's essentially sabotaging it to fail by playing both sides to try and achieve nothing - presumably their thinking here is their obsession with a general election again.

Edited by Spain

5 minutes ago, Spain said:

Sounds to me like Corbyn's plan here is to be obstructionist, if they can force the amendment (which Remain factions would back with them), it makes the actual motion for her plan even more unpalatable to the hardcore Brexiteers which will push them to help vote the whole thing down. It's essentially sabotaging it to fail by playing both sides to try and achieve nothing - presumably their thinking here is their obsession with a general election again.

Double win in his mind, f**k up May's deal and assuage Labour remainers by pretending to push for a public vote. Hope someone calls him out on it.

Edited by welshbairn

Just now, Spain said:

I guess to some degree it's also betting on an insurance policy.

I was thinking that but the amended motion has zero chance of passing without Labour backing, unless nearly all of them rebel.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Double win in his mind, f**k up May's deal and assuage Labour remainers by pretending to push for a public vote.

Don't think the 56% of labour voters who voted to leave will be thrilled with that idea.

13 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Don't think the 56% of labour voters who voted to leave will be thrilled with that idea.

Pretty sure you have your numbers wrong there. A quick look says the numbers are all over the place but if you trust Lord Ashcroft..

A majority of those who backed the Conservative in 2015 voted to leave the EU (58%), as did more than 19 out of 20 UKIP supporters. Nearly two thirds of Labour and SNP voters (63% and 64%), seven in ten Liberal Democrats and three quarters of Greens, voted to remain.

https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2016/06/how-the-united-kingdom-voted-and-why/

P.S. I think you meant the number of Labour held seats that voted Leave, rather than voters, which maybe explains why Corbyn is shitting himself.

Edited by welshbairn

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/17/march-for-leave-protesters-descend-on-middlesbrough-without-farage

Genuinely mental quotes in the article. The ones below might be the most mental/laughable/pathetic/cretinous:

“I don’t want my grandchildren being conscripted by an EU army likely led by the Germans.”

For every person here,” she said, “we’ve got a million people marching with us. I can feel that presence.” Another, an army veteran, beamed at the Union Jacks overhead: “It’s like walking in the Falklands, following the flag again.”

34 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Pretty sure you have your numbers wrong there. A quick look says the numbers are all over the place but if you trust Lord Ashcroft..

https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2016/06/how-the-united-kingdom-voted-and-why/

P.S. I think you meant the number of Labour held seats that voted Leave, rather than voters, which maybe explains why Corbyn is shitting himself.

Yeah, I take your point, I'm surprised to see such a divergence between labour held seats and labour voters. This survey here is interesting - as someone has already commented on this, 5% of UKIP voted to remain!

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2016/06/27/how-britain-voted

41 minutes ago, Donathan said:

You got any verification on those figures because they sound wrong

From google...

What percentage of Labour voters voted leave?
When you factor in this uncertainty, the figures for how each party's seats voted changes a bit. By this count, 62% of Conservative seats voted Leave, with 21%uncertain and 17% Remain. Labour's seats, meanwhile, voted 56% Leave, 8% uncertain, and 36% Remain.13 Jul 2018

1 minute ago, ICTJohnboy said:

From google...

What percentage of Labour voters voted leave?
When you factor in this uncertainty, the figures for how each party's seats voted changes a bit. By this count, 62% of Conservative seats voted Leave, with 21%uncertain and 17% Remain. Labour's seats, meanwhile, voted 56% Leave, 8% uncertain, and 36% Remain.13 Jul 2018

Seats and voters are not the same thing.